Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling cracks in a ceiling.

What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the
flexing of the ceilings.

If it is a flat ceiling, do it with lining paper.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the
flexing of the ceilings.

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years ago
with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come
to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than
plaster.

Cue Anna ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the
flexing of the ceilings.

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years ago
with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come
to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

I think it must have been acrylic Mary as silicone just does not like
paint over it.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than
plaster.

Definitely! Failing that - on a flat ceiling, paper is the easiest way.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:02:59 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the
flexing of the ceilings.

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years ago
with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come
to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than
plaster.

Cue Anna ...

Ah yes Mary can I hire you as my agent :-)

The perfect answer is for me to put coffering all over the ceiling. It
will hide the cracks and you will be hiding from the bank manager

I'd use a modern flexible filler, myself ...

Anna
--

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 5:02*pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the
flexing of the ceilings.

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years ago
with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come
to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

You'd have been fed up if it had been silicone in the gun - silicone
and paint don't go together.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than
plaster.

In my experience (extensive) acrylic sealant is not impervious to
settlement cracks either. Line it.

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Fill them in before plaster skim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Fill them in before plaster skim.

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Fill them in before plaster skim.

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

No I ean with a flexible filler and then the scrim. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on
a ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Fill them in before plaster skim.

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

No I ean with a flexible filler and then the scrim. ;-)

Oh - you mean rip it all down and start again?

Thanks. ;-)

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years
ago
with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come
to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than
plaster.

Cue Anna ...

Ah yes Mary can I hire you as my agent :-)

Oh yes please! If you can afford my fees I'll be able to afford the
coffering :-)

thinks - haven't checked the ceilings since last night's 'quake - it woke
us - but one of the chimney pots is now leaning so needs urgent attention

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a
ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the
flexing of the ceilings.

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years
ago
with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come
to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

You'd have been fed up if it had been silicone in the gun - silicone
and paint don't go together.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than
plaster.

In my experience (extensive) acrylic sealant is not impervious to
settlement cracks either. Line it.

Well it's fine foir all of you to talk about lining it but this is a 71 year
old ceiling which was lined when new and then papered with bubble Anaglypta.
Then painted many times. I reckon that to strip it would be to find laths
.... the present paper is structural :-)

Mary

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on
a ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Fill them in before plaster skim.

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

No I ean with a flexible filler and then the scrim. ;-)

Oh - you mean rip it all down and start again?

Yes, Dave, some folk have no other life :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 00:27, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

* *George wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on
a ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the
traditional?

Fill them in before plaster skim.

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

No I ean with a flexible filler and then the scrim. ;-)

Oh - you mean rip it all down and start again?

Thanks. ;-)

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Yeah. Rip it down and blame it on the quake last night