Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. At it again

Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

Are you sure that *yours* is all *orignal_thought* with *absolutely _no*
plagiarism at all?

But this is hardly likely to affect your business in this country is it?

Unless of course, paranoia is setting in and you are sitting at your
computer for hours on end searching for every 'handyman' site on the
world-wide-web just in case they are allegedly copying your model - now THAT
will affect your business.

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2008 14:08, BRG wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

But this is hardly likely to affect your business in this country is it?

"We soon are expanding to EUROPE" :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

If you really cared you could send their ISP a takedown notice under the
Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

AIUI (and it's a while since I read about this stuff) the ISP will then send
this to the owners of the site. The owners of the site can then decide to
pull the site or change the content, or risk being sued by you. If they
don't respond to their ISP then the ISP will pull the site so they don't
risk being sued by you. Alternatively, the ISP may say they're not going to
change it, in which case they're calling your bluff...

Google "DMCA takedown" for more.
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/faq.cgi#QID130

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:09:45 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I suppose I should be flattered......

Particularly as he includes "all rights reserved
http://www.casabellainternational.com/ .2008" :-)

I suppose you can now advertise yourself as "Medway Handyman
International, branches in all the major metropolitan areas in USA and
CANADA"

I notice he has also brought civilisation to the USA and re-introduced
the Pound rather than that rather odd dollar thing they liked :-
"those ‘little jobs’ that never seem to get done can cost you
thousands and thousands of pounds"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:08:16 -0000, "BRG" wrote:

But this is hardly likely to affect your business in this country is it?

Wouldn't be too sure, Having taken over the USA and Canada Casa Bella
is "coming soon to a Europe near you" so we could see a flood of
ersatz Medway/Casa handypersons all speaking with an American accent
but sucking their teeth Essex style as they mutter "Gawd - haven't
seen one of those for years and which cowboy put the flotterscrong on
the whistlegrabber using a 1/4 throgmorton instead of a half inch
sprecklegrabber - going to cost youse this is..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

One of the first things people do when they thinking of putting a website
together is have a look around the net for similar sites for ideas.

I imagine most of the sites on the web are built from readily available
templates so if you imagine that you will never see a site looking like
yours you will be dissapointed.

That said there are some glaringly obvious rip offs but if these guys are
doing the same stuff as you there isn't a massive amount you can do about it
I wouldn't have thought.
For example nobody owns the term 'no job too big or too small' but it gets
bandied about a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

It's pretty obvious that they've stolen it - many of the terms used are
more typically UK than US.
In the US, if I wanted someone to paint my livingroom, I'd hire a
painter, not a decorator - a decorator, in the US, is the guy who
decides on the decor, not the one who applies the paint.
Skirting boards - in the US are generally baseboards.
US curtains are more often hung from rods, than rails.
Timber cladding is wood siding.
They mention door handles, not the more common (in the US) door knobs.
The electrical section also sounds more UK than US.
The outdoors section mentions laying turf - US more often says laying sod.
They use 'timber' where the US more often uses 'wood' or 'wooden'.
The mention outside taps - US usage is faucet.
In the flat-pack section, they use the work 'makes', where US would say
'brands'. They recommend 'fixing' where US would say attaching or
fastening.
Although the word cupboard is used in the US, cabinet is more common
(this appears on the page where they talk about thousands of pounds in
costs, rather than dollars!).
I'm sure I could find more, if I cared to spend the time.

Sheila,
who has lived and d-i-y-ed in both the US and the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote in

Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

It was automatically given the protection of copyright and there is more
than enough similarity between your text and that of the offending site to
claim breach of copyright. Whether you can be bothered is another matter.

http://www.interactivetraining.co.uk...ding-tips.html

http://www.essex.ac.uk/marketing/guidelines/proof.htm

It's the copyright notice at the bottom that really annoys.

-
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:35:36 -0000, "R D S" wrote:

One of the first things people do when they thinking of putting a website
together is have a look around the net for similar sites for ideas.

There is a difference between incorporating different ideas and
copying wholesale.

I imagine most of the sites on the web are built from readily available
templates so if you imagine that you will never see a site looking like
yours you will be dissapointed.

It doesn't look at all like his - just copies most of the text
verbatim - even to the extent of forgetting to alter the currency!

That said there are some glaringly obvious rip offs

As in nearly all the text? The owner of Casa Bella also seems to
offer website design tuition amongst their services so they can hardly
claim to have done this plagiarism inadvertently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:54:00 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

It's pretty obvious that they've stolen it - many of the terms used are
more typically UK than US.

They appear to have nicked the grass bits from
www.greenedgelandscaping.com/lawnmaintenance.htm

The cleaning section is "borrowed" from
http://www.domesticblisscleaningserv...aningservices/

so at least they are consistent!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

Are you sure that *yours* is all *orignal_thought* with *absolutely
_no* plagiarism at all?

Big difference between research & plaugarism.

But this is hardly likely to affect your business in this country is
it?
Unless of course, paranoia is setting in and you are sitting at your
computer for hours on end searching for every 'handyman' site on the
world-wide-web just in case they are allegedly copying your model -
now THAT will affect your business.

Just checking my web stats & noticed several visits from them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Perhaps they could call themselves "The Medway Highwayman" to differentiate.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:10:34 -0000, "Piers Finlayson"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Yet another word for word rip off, this time from the USA.

http://www.casabellainternational.com/HOME.html

I suppose I should be flattered......

Whatever happened to original creative thought?

If you really cared you could send their ISP a takedown notice under the
Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

AIUI (and it's a while since I read about this stuff) the ISP will then send
this to the owners of the site. The owners of the site can then decide to
pull the site or change the content, or risk being sued by you. If they
don't respond to their ISP then the ISP will pull the site so they don't
risk being sued by you. Alternatively, the ISP may say they're not going to
change it, in which case they're calling your bluff...

Google "DMCA takedown" for more.
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/faq.cgi#QID130

I had similar advice from my host when I contacted them to ask about
'leeching'.
In my experience I've found it's rarely worth contacting the site
owner - after all, they pinched the stuff in the first place in spite
of visibly obvious copyright notices.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk