Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hammerite thinner

I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb, 11:35, "news.virgin.net" wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

I wouldn't bother cleaning a hammerite brush - easier and probably
"greener" just to chuck it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news.virgin.net wrote:

I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper
alternative to hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Yes - cellulose thinners works fine - but not ordinary white spirit.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"news.virgin.net" wrote in message
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Petrol, or was it Parrafin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 12 Feb, 11:35, "news.virgin.net" wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative

hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

I wouldn't bother cleaning a hammerite brush - easier and probably
"greener" just to chuck it.

Thats what Id do,use a cheap brush for hammerite and then sling it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper
alternative to hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Yes - cellulose thinners works fine - but not ordinary white spirit.
--

Thanks, I'll see how much a bottle is but the brushes were super cheap
anyway.

Thanks again,

Bruce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"news.virgin.net" wrote in message
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Petrol, or was it Parrafin?

Petrol. It cleans most things, then set fire to the brush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 12, 12:35 pm, "news.virgin.net" wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

I use very cheap brushes, then wash them under running hot water,
massaging soap into the bristles. Seems to work fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news.virgin.net wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Not sure about thinner, but I used to use cellulose thinners to clean
brushes..hard to get ALL of the metallic bits out tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news.virgin.net wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper
alternative to hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Petrol is the thinner for Hammerite.

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
davey wrote
On Feb 12, 12:35 pm, "news.virgin.net" wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper alternative to
hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

I use very cheap brushes, then wash them under running hot water,
massaging soap into the bristles. Seems to work fine.

I use cheap 'use and throw' brushes from Toolstation (13p for a 25mm
brush). The ends of the bristles are a bit uneven but 5 seconds with a
large pair of scissors soon cures that.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/HandTools/DecoratorsBrushes/d10/sd2997

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sla#s wrote:
news.virgin.net wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper
alternative to hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Petrol is the thinner for Hammerite.

Slatts

It may be *a* thinner, but it isn't *the* thinner. Far too volatile to
be distributed safely. Xylene rings a bell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:26:50 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Sla#s wrote:
news.virgin.net wrote:
I'm sure this crops up all them time but is there a cheaper
alternative to hammerite thinner/brush cleaner ?

Petrol is the thinner for Hammerite.

Slatts

It may be *a* thinner, but it isn't *the* thinner. Far too volatile to
be distributed safely. Xylene rings a bell

I've used MIBK as a thinner for Hammerite.

--
Frank Erskine

Do I need to use Hammerite primer with Smothrite John UK diy 2 June 19th 06 10:46 PM
White Hammered Hammerite. Ron Ireland UK diy 2 July 3rd 05 11:35 PM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 04:20 PM
Hammerite Howard UK diy 11 February 21st 05 11:35 AM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 02:12 PM