Very small screws.

Old February 9th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very small screws.

What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them, other than
an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing things out of my
glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must have very small screws or
instrument suppliers.

Kevin

Old February 9th 08, 11:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Zen83237
writes
What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them, other than
an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing things out of my
glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must have very small screws or
instrument suppliers.

Kevin

My local pound shop (poundland) has spectacle repair kits, including
screws for, you guessed it, a pound
--
Keith
Old February 9th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them,
other than an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing
things out of my glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must
have very small screws or instrument suppliers.

I use to have that problem but found a drop of Loctite thread lock stopped
it happening.

Slatts

Old February 9th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Zen83237
writes
What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them, other than
an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing things out of my
glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must have very small screws or
instrument suppliers.

Just go to an optician and ask them for a screw, and could they
counterpunch the bottom for you

--
geoff
Old February 9th 08, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.spectaclesdirect.net/products/p05_06.htm

Old February 10th 08, 01:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 23:03:15 -0000, "Zen83237"
wrote:

What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them, other than
an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing things out of my
glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must have very small screws or
instrument suppliers.

There's a chap on ebay that sells such screws - Petes-Model-Workshop.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old February 10th 08, 07:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Keith contains these
words:

In message , Zen83237
writes
What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them,
other than
an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing things out of my
glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must have very small
screws or
instrument suppliers.

Kevin

My local pound shop (poundland) has spectacle repair kits, including
screws for, you guessed it, a pound

That's where I got the screws for my husband's spectacles. He was
forever losing the screw, always from the same side - I deduced that
it's the way he takes his glasses off, putting stress on the same
side all the time.

The screw is more likely to stay in place if you drop a blob of
clear nail varnish on it, once it's in place...

So much good advice so soon. I will follow all these up. I hadn't thought
about it but I have the same problem, always the same side and beinf right
handed I take them off from the RHS. I will try the nail varnish trick.

Kevin

Old February 10th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:37:12 +0000, Zen83237 wrote:

[...]

==================================
I've given up on the screws. I now use a short length of stiff wire. Bend
at 90 degrees, insert into hinge and bend the other end to 90 degrees with
a pair of pliers. Totally secure and almost invisible.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Old February 10th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Having been trained as a surgical instrument maker, I use a very small
hammer and dome the exposed end of the thread. It will never come out and
you can still use the screw head to adjust the friction.

Colin Bignell

Old February 10th 08, 11:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Zen83237
writes

[...]

Lightly centre punching is a much better solution

--
geoff

where to get a few small socket head screws John Stumbles UK diy 6 October 26th 06 10:04 AM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
Small Screws for Camera Leveled UK diy 3 February 26th 05 10:22 PM
need very small slotted screws [email protected] Metalworking 8 February 12th 05 10:24 PM
Small-headed screws? Roy Smith Woodworking 13 January 20th 05 06:28 AM