Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PL Insurance - rough guide to cost

I'm semi retired and been working part time for the last year doing
general handyman type work via a local company that handles all the
marketing, invoicing, tax, NI, PLI and general admin. Suits me that
way. Unfortunately the company is probably going to cease trading
soon, nothing ominous, has a good reputation and quite a nice niche
local market, doing the smaller jobs that the trade guys don't want.

I quite enjoy the work (mostly) and the money is handy, so am
considering going it alone. Tax and NI are ok to handle, done that
before in a previous career, I won't get anywhere near VAT
registration limits, but I've just not had to get involved with Public
Liability Insurance before, so wondering what ballpark it might be in
(eg if £200 pa I might investigate further, if £10K pa I'll just sell
all my tools on eBay and find something else to do). I'm in northern
Home Counties.

Looked at online quote sites and they all want too much personal info,
which I'm not prepared to divulge just yet (I get enough spam as it
is).

Any guidance much appreciated. Also any recommendations as to
providers of PLI.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

[...]

I pay ~£120/yr for £1million of cover from these:
https://www.insuredrisks.co.uk/
There were numerous limitations in the online schedule (no working over
10ft high, no heating tools allowed etc), but none of these are listed
in the paper version I subsequently got.
£250 excess iirc.

I have never once been asked by customers to see my insurance cover,
though it is always there for peace of mind.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
DavidM wrote:

[...]

My policy is about the same price etc, can't recall who with without looking
it up. Mine excludes working above gutter height & use of a blowlamp
indoors.

I have never once been asked by customers to see my insurance cover,
though it is always there for peace of mind.

I had to show mine to get the Fair Trader scheme approval & one local
company I work for asked to see it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:31:34 +0000, DavidM wrote:

[...]

Nearer the former. It varies with amount of cover (natch). You can get 1M
but if you sign up to any sort of competent persons scheme or work
changing lightbulbs for Waitrose (seriously - had someone tell me they had
this nice little earner) you'll need 2M. It also varies with trade. I
think window cleaners are the most, with plumbing & heating next. IIRC
surveyors were least.

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
DavidM wrote:

[...]

That must hinder your plumbing activities somewhat!

I have never once been asked by customers to see my insurance cover,
though it is always there for peace of mind.

I had to show mine to get the Fair Trader scheme approval & one local
company I work for asked to see it.

I just added it to my advert in the local rag as a selling point. Never
asked for the details by any customer but it gave me a warm feeling.

That was 18 years ago, IIRC about £65 PA, for 1 Million cover working on
roofs, ladders etc. as an aerial rigger.

So £120/yr now for less dangerous activities seems about right.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
SNIP

My policy is about the same price etc, can't recall who with without
looking it up. Mine excludes working above gutter height & use of a
blowlamp indoors.

That must hinder your plumbing activities somewhat!

Not really. I make up assemblys outside & do the final join with
compression, or I just use compressions - or I cheat :-)

I have never once been asked by customers to see my insurance cover,
though it is always there for peace of mind.

I had to show mine to get the Fair Trader scheme approval & one local
company I work for asked to see it.

I just added it to my advert in the local rag as a selling point.
Never asked for the details by any customer but it gave me a warm
feeling.

I mention it on the web site.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-04 20:28:16 +0000, John Stumbles said:

Nearer the former. It varies with amount of cover (natch). You can get 1M
but if you sign up to any sort of competent persons scheme or work
changing lightbulbs for Waitrose (seriously - had someone tell me they had
this nice little earner) you'll need 2M. It also varies with trade. I
think window cleaners are the most, with plumbing & heating next. IIRC
surveyors were least.

Thereby hangs a tale.

Does this mean that they never get into situations where they might
break something - i.e. never look in roof spaces; or that they are
considered to be masters of writing the evasive, botty covering report?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 07:17:58 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Does this mean that they never get into situations where they might
break something - i.e. never look in roof spaces; or that they are
considered to be masters of writing the evasive, botty covering report?

No comment :-)

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

[surveyors]
Does this mean that they never get into situations where they might
break something - i.e. never look in roof spaces; or that they are
considered to be masters of writing the evasive, botty covering report?

Probably both, although the surveyor I used when I first bought this
house did go jumping on a flat roof and peering under floorboards.

The consequences of what is or isn't in their reports would surely be a
matter for their professional indemnity insurance though, rather than
public liability.

On the same basis electricians doing periodic inspection work should
have PI as well as PL insurance.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:31:34 GMT, DavidM
wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone, very helpful.
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Does this mean that they never get into situations where they might
break something - i.e. never look in roof spaces;

It seems to depend on where their "short ladder" can get them. Mine
looked into the main part of the roof (but not the extension) on one
house, but not on another because the hatch was "inaccessible with a
standard surveyor's ladder" (I think it was over the stairs of all
places, so fair enough).

considered to be masters of writing the evasive, botty covering report?

A certain amount of botty-covering goes on, but to be honest of all the
verbiage produced during my one abortive and one successful purchase,
the surveyor's reports were the only bits with any connection to the
real world. The estate agents' were largely content-free, and the
solicitor's were a fuzz of legal fantasy.

Pete