Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default problem with worcester bosch 24 boiler

Hi Chaps,
the last couple of mornings my relatively new (4 years old)
Worcester Bosch 24 boiler has failed to come on in the early morning.

The thermostat seems to be working ok and the timer unit seems to be
sending signals, but the boiler does not ignite.

At first I thought it might be the fuse to the boiler, so I changed that
and after turning the dial on the front to zero and then back on again
the boiler fires up ok and seems to work correctly all day.

Then last night, it was working fine just before I went to bed but
nothing this morning until I did the dial thing again.

So Have you guys (and gals) come across anything similar?

Is it time for a service? I'm ok with electrcals/electronics tests
but I'm wary of gas appliances, so I'd like to see if there's an
explanation so I don't get ripped off if I have to call a bloke in...

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

After 4 years might be best to bite the bullet and get a WB engineer.
For £200 they replace up to 3 major parts. IME they replace whatever's
failed plus 2 other bits that might go. Given the cost of the spares, it
can stack up well against getting a local engineer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi Chaps,
the last couple of mornings my relatively new (4 years old)
Worcester Bosch 24 boiler has failed to come on in the early morning.

The thermostat seems to be working ok and the timer unit seems to be
sending signals, but the boiler does not ignite.

At first I thought it might be the fuse to the boiler, so I changed that
and after turning the dial on the front to zero and then back on again
the boiler fires up ok and seems to work correctly all day.

Then last night, it was working fine just before I went to bed but
nothing this morning until I did the dial thing again.

So Have you guys (and gals) come across anything similar?

Is it time for a service? I'm ok with electrcals/electronics tests
but I'm wary of gas appliances, so I'd like to see if there's an
explanation so I don't get ripped off if I have to call a bloke in...

Isn't that a combi boiler?

If so, has it lost pressure - there'll be a pressure gauge on the front
of the boiler - what does it say?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

no I don't think so, we don't have hot water on demand-- we have a
separate hot tank upstairs,and there's no visible pressure gauge on the
outside.

Its full designation is worcester bosch 19/24 CBi

Having said that, it's behaved fine all day, it just wasn't coming on
first thing in the morning. (Brrrrr)

Maybe its something to do with the system being completely cold at the
start point.

I had a look at the servicing manual, and my thought was perhaps it did
need a service anyway, so I might ring the chap who fitted it for us and
see if he'll come and give it the once over.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi chaps
here's some further diagnostic info,

the boiler works fine all day but does not start in the early morning
when all is cold.

however, turning the power supply to it off then on again at the wall
switch, and then using the rotary switch on the front to reset allows
the boiler to start again.

just reset on it's own isn't sufficient.

Any further ideas, I'm thinking its something that's too far apart when
cold but expands to close the gap when warm.

all responses gratefully received.

and thanks to all who've responded so far.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:52:47 +0000, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

the last couple of mornings my relatively new (4 years old)
Worcester Bosch 24 boiler has failed to come on in the early morning.

Its full designation is worcester bosch 19/24 CBi

It may be only 4 years old but it's a pretty ancient design. Most of the
recent pre-condensing W-Bs have lightweight heat exchangers but this has a
cast-iron one.

The thermostat seems to be working ok and the timer unit seems to be
sending signals, but the boiler does not ignite.

At first I thought it might be the fuse to the boiler, so I changed
that and after turning the dial on the front to zero and then back on
again the boiler fires up ok and seems to work correctly all day.

Then last night, it was working fine just before I went to bed but
nothing this morning until I did the dial thing again.

So Have you guys (and gals) come across anything similar?

Had one of these a year or so back which sometimes wouldn't start up. In
that case it turned out to be a PCB fault and we got a replacement from
geoff (CET Ltd). IIRC the PCB was sometimes failing to generate HT for the
spark ignition. I don't know if this is a stock fault (but I'm sure geoff
will be along in a minute if it is)

--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
[...]

not the commonest, but certainly a fault we see from time to time

I held back on answering the OP because there was no indication as to at
what point in the sequence it was failing

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:19:58 +0000, geoff wrote:

I held back on answering the OP because there was no indication as to at
what point in the sequence it was failing

I'm not convinced it's the PCB but it sounded so similar to the fault I'd
seen on one I thought it merited a heads-up.

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:19:58 +0000, geoff wrote:

I held back on answering the OP because there was no indication as to at
what point in the sequence it was failing

I'm not convinced it's the PCB but it sounded so similar to the fault I'd
seen on one I thought it merited a heads-up.

It's a difficult one

Could be down to expansion / contraction in a broken wire or something
stupid like that

--
geoff