Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aren't mains drills great?

I fitted a new mortice lock to a PO door today. Big heavy thing with
steel reinforcement to both sides.
I started with my Bosch cordless, which went flat after a hour or
so,changed battery, and that went a bit later.
So to the back up plan of using the B+D Quattro mains drill from around
1992.

Christ it is a revelation - so smooth and powerful. And at least 15
years old. When drilling metal, it makes the Bosch feel very amateur.

Mind, it's crap at masonry drilling, and screwdriving, which i tried
today - no, you cant control it enough to drive screws in.

And to think I was going to give it away, as I used cordless all the
time now.I'm really glad I've kept it - it is invaluable for large wood
augers, and even 10mm drills through steel.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 22, 11:41*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
I fitted a new mortice lock to a PO door today. Big heavy thing with
steel reinforcement to both sides.
I started with my Bosch cordless, which went flat after a hour or
so,changed battery, and that went a bit later.
So to the back up plan of using the B+D Quattro mains drill from around
1992.

Christ it is a revelation - so smooth and powerful. And at least 15
years old. When drilling metal, it makes the Bosch feel very amateur.

Mind, it's crap at masonry drilling, and screwdriving, which i tried
today - no, you cant control it enough to drive screws in.

And to think I was going to give it away, as I used cordless all the
time now.I'm really glad I've kept it - it is invaluable for large wood
augers, and even 10mm drills through steel.
Alan.

Yes amazing at times. Recently had to drill a few holes to run #12 AWG
(that's 2.5mm) 3 wire plus ground (Oops, sorry! Earth) lead through
several floor joists. The cordless wasn't at hand so fished out the
old 115 volt B&D bought years ago (at least 30) for 9 bucks on sale.
Ran the extension cord and with a spade bit bashed the holes through a
series of about five 2 by 10 joists. Surprised how well it worked.
For 'big' jobs though I'd still use my 230 volt Wolf bought on
Paradise Street Liverpool in 1953!
Nowadays, here in North America, the Wolf is run either on a hefty
115/230 transformer which is also the extension cord or from 230 volt
sockets at our two work benches. Built two houses with it and it still
works fine. It'll outlast me!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Christ it is a revelation - so smooth and powerful. And at least 15
years old. When drilling metal, it makes the Bosch feel very amateur.

Mind, it's crap at masonry drilling, and screwdriving, which i tried
today - no, you cant control it enough to drive screws in.

I've got an even older B&D 'Tradesman' and it's excellent for
screwdriving. Slowest speed is 50 rpm and it has a sort of soft start. And
far more torque than any cordless drill I have - apart from the impact
type. Only thing lacking is a clutch for maximum torque.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jan, 20:41, (A.Lee) wrote:
I fitted a new mortice lock to a PO door today. Big heavy thing with
steel reinforcement to both sides.
I started with my Bosch cordless, which went flat after a hour or
so,changed battery, and that went a bit later.
So to the back up plan of using the B+D Quattro mains drill from around
1992.

Christ it is a revelation - so smooth and powerful. And at least 15
years old. When drilling metal, it makes the Bosch feel very amateur.

Mind, it's crap at masonry drilling, and screwdriving, which i tried
today - no, you cant control it enough to drive screws in.

And to think I was going to give it away, as I used cordless all the
time now.I'm really glad I've kept it - it is invaluable for large wood
augers, and even 10mm drills through steel.
Alan.

I've got a Fein mains drill, which is just fantastic, when I remember
to use it. One of the best things about them is that they run at an
rpm which is nearer to adequate for smaller bits in wood, unlike most
cordless drills. It has by several orders of magnitude the best drill
chuck I've ever used (or seen), too, top top end Rohm, silky precision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

terry wrote:
On Jan 22, 11:41 pm, (A.Lee) wrote:

snipped

Yes amazing at times. Recently had to drill a few holes to run #12 AWG
(that's 2.5mm) 3 wire plus ground (Oops, sorry! Earth) lead through
several floor joists. The cordless wasn't at hand so fished out the
old 115 volt B&D bought years ago (at least 30) for 9 bucks on sale.
Ran the extension cord and with a spade bit bashed the holes through a
series of about five 2 by 10 joists. Surprised how well it worked.
For 'big' jobs though I'd still use my 230 volt Wolf bought on
Paradise Street Liverpool in 1953!
Nowadays, here in North America, the Wolf is run either on a hefty
115/230 transformer which is also the extension cord or from 230 volt
sockets at our two work benches. Built two houses with it and it still
works fine. It'll outlast me!

Still have a late 50's B&D which I use for countersinking/ soft wood
drilling; I love it, so light and so useful.