Best way to remove heavy duty limescale

Old January 21st 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to remove heavy duty limescale

The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 21st 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:00:42 -0800 (PST), The Weary Wizard
wrote:

The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use an abrasive at all. There are LOADS of products on the
supermarket shelves for removing limescale. I would think the gel type would be
best but it will probably need several applications.

Andy
Old January 21st 08, 08:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Weary Wizard" wrote in message
The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

A product that contains phosphuric acid.

mark

Old January 21st 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:07:46 +0000, Andy Cap wrote:

I wouldn't use an abrasive at all.

Agreed the glaze will get damaged and make staining/sacle build up even
more of a problem.

There are LOADS of products on the supermarket shelves for removing
limescale. I would think the gel type would be best but it will probably
need several applications.

Yep, don't expect a one hit wonder result. Scale will dissolve in mild
acid without damaging the glaze.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old January 21st 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan, 20:00, The Weary Wizard
wrote:
The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. *What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

Harpic 100% Limescale Remover - does what it says on the bottle. Works
a treat.
Old January 21st 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Weary Wizard wrote:
The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar situation.

We bough ****loads (apt, as it turned out) of gel descaler, and a quart
of brick acid.

Both ate through the scale slowly, and I ended up knocking off lumps
with a chisel.

Every night the bowl was filled with acid and left.

The rim wasnt too bad, but round the bend was evil. It was about half
the diameter it should have been and not JUST scale., Layers of scale ad
****. Years of scale and ****. Took about a week of acid, chipping, and
flushing for an hour after work each day, to clean it all up.

The good news is it all did clean up.

Thats when I decided to never be without brick acid and caustic soda
ever again. And the next house would have a softener..

Be VERY careful with gel cleaners on CHROME tho. It dulls the surface
permanentely. So does brick acid. I guess its chrome sulphate.

Abrasives are moderately useless. If a bog brush won't clear it, use a
chisel. Get a cheapo wood chisel with a sharp edge, and go gently.

What I found was thet the clingy gel stuff etched the edges UNDER the
scale, and chunks could be levered out..then more gel or overnight acid
would do the same again. Bit by bit the enemy was pushed back..and
mopped up.

Old January 21st 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Weary Wizard wrote:
The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

Lime Lite products from Henkel - excellent.

http://www.limeliteinfo.co.uk/Limelite/
Old January 22nd 08, 12:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

The rim wasnt too bad, but round the bend was evil. It was about half
the diameter it should have been and not JUST scale., Layers of scale ad
****. Years of scale and ****. Took about a week of acid, chipping, and
flushing for an hour after work each day, to clean it all up.

Acid isn't too effective on the **** part. What you can do
in this case is to alternate it with another powerful cleaner,
such as washing machine or dishwasher detergent dissolved in
hot water and left in the trap over night, which are both good
at clearing the organic debris.

When switching cleaning agents, flush the previous one well
away first, enough times to clear the sewage pipework too.
Mixing of different cleaners can cause violent chemical
reactions and production of toxic fumes.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Old January 22nd 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"The Weary Wizard" wrote in message
The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

Angle grinder

If you block the thing up with a rag, fill to the brim, and leave
overnight, even weak acid like citric will do it. Sulphamic (Fernox
descaler) is better (and easy to use) but I don't like the fumes from
hydrochloric (brick acid) indoors