potterton boiler ignition

Old January 21st 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default potterton boiler ignition

All,

I have a potterton suprima 40 boiler that is starting to suffer
problems igniting. I'm well aware of the PCB problems that these
boilers have, but it has a new and working PCB fitted.

The ignition seems poor just now. There is a windows to see whats
happening inside and the blue spark coming from the ignition
electrode(?) seems very weak. I remember after it's last service how
strong it looked but now it is hardly sparking and is almost too weak
to see. The ignition electrode has been cleaned and on the advice of
some potterton forums it has been bent ever so slightly towards the
burner to reduce the gap.

I'm not sure what I need to replace though if I'm to fix the problem.
Would it be the cable from the PCB or the electrode itself? It is a
white cylinder with an L shaped metal arm and seems to act as a spark
plug. Can these be replaced? How do you do it and what are they
actually called? The bolier is 10 years old and has not had any parts
replaced bar the PCB.

Many thanks.

Steve
Old January 21st 08, 10:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:03:22 -0800, clipper74 wrote:

I have a potterton suprima 40 boiler that is starting to suffer
problems igniting. I'm well aware of the PCB problems that these
boilers have, but it has a new and working PCB fitted.

The ignition seems poor just now.

did you catch the recent thread in which geoff (aka raden) pointed out
that there are suprimas with dodgy HT leads? Apparently if they're red
they're carbon fibre rather than copper, and crap.

--
John Stumbles
Old January 22nd 08, 12:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:03:22 -0800, clipper74 wrote:

I have a potterton suprima 40 boiler that is starting to suffer
problems igniting. I'm well aware of the PCB problems that these
boilers have, but it has a new and working PCB fitted.

The ignition seems poor just now.

did you catch the recent thread in which geoff (aka raden) pointed out
that there are suprimas with dodgy HT leads? Apparently if they're red
they're carbon fibre rather than copper, and crap.

Which I have repeated in this thread

--
geoff
Old January 22nd 08, 08:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks a lot. A serch didnt show up your previous thread, but then I
didn't really know the names of the components and didn't know what to
search for.

Many thanks. I'll replace the HT lead. It is looking a bit frayed at
the spark end, I was surprised it was not copper but some sort of
fibre.

Cheers,

Steve
Old January 22nd 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I've phoned around my local suppliers and nobody seems to have
anything in stock. Does anyone know of any online shops that sell HT
leads suitable for the Suprima 40? Or even the part number that I
might search google?

Thanks,
Steve.
Old January 22nd 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

for any ones info;

part number 8407753 electrode lead.

I ordered a new HT online and a new electrode just in case. Now if
only I can get the electrode screw un-done!

Steve