Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Electric main oven (built in Hotpoint DY46X) stopped working

Yesterday I switched on the main oven to warm up for ten minutes, went
upstairs and did some Hoovering. Suddenly, all plug sockets in the
whole house are dead. I inspect the consumer unit and the main RCD
switch is thrown. Popped it back up and all the sockets are back
working. But since then the main oven doesn't get even warm. It's not
working. The *fan* still works, as does the light, and the top
oven/grill is also unaffected.

Element?

How much if I get the Hotpoint service agent to fix it? (estimate)

The DY46X is approximately 4 years old.

(A new unit is "only" around £350.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Yesterday I switched on the main oven to warm up for ten minutes, went
upstairs and did some Hoovering. Suddenly, all plug sockets in the
whole house are dead. I inspect the consumer unit and the main RCD
switch is thrown. Popped it back up and all the sockets are back
working. But since then the main oven doesn't get even warm. It's not
working. The *fan* still works, as does the light, and the top
oven/grill is also unaffected.

Element?

How much if I get the Hotpoint service agent to fix it? (estimate)

The DY46X is approximately 4 years old.

(A new unit is "only" around £350.)

MM

Certainly sounds like the lelement and this is uk.d-i-y...

New element £21.99 from he

http://www.espares.co.uk/parts/cooke...2/808/0/432928

also, compatible non-Hotpoint version at £7.50

Don't know how much Hotpoint would charge to fit...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:42:33 +0000, Peter Watson
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

How much do you think an electrician would charge?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM

Certainly sounds like the lelement and this is uk.d-i-y...

New element £21.99 from he

http://www.espares.co.uk/parts/cooke...2/808/0/432928

also, compatible non-Hotpoint version at £7.50

Don't know how much Hotpoint would charge to fit...

Thanks.

How much do you think an electrician would charge?

MM

How long is a piece of string?

Generic ovens:-

The job, itself, is straight forward - more mechanical than electrical.
The element is normally held in place by 2-3 self-tappers, perhaps
behind a fan grill plate (more self tappers). Electrical connection is
normally via push-on spade terminals.

A self respecting spark will charge an hours labour for this. It sounds
like you're not confident about taking on the task yourself - in which
case a spark is the way to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:19:49 +0000, Mike Dodd
wrote:

[...]

No, no, I'm completely confident! I have fitted spurs, three-pin
sockets, various other stuff. Mind you, it'd be nice if I could find
an exploded parts list on the web, so that I could what's involved
before I start. Do I just remove the rear self-cleaning panel that
houses the fan? It appears to be attached with self-tapping screws. Is
there only the one element? I couldn't get to that website advised by
Peter Watson yet. Maybe because it's Sunday they're doing site
maintenance.

Would an oven element on the fritz trip the RCD? This new house is
very sensitive! Often only a lightbulb blowing will trigger the
lighting MCB for the associated storey.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM coughed up some electrons that declared:

Would an oven element on the fritz trip the RCD?

I would expect it to, if the element is of the usual
heater-wire-in-a-metal-tube construction.

If the failure mode is due to/results in the wire forming an
electrical path to the element's casing, that's earthed, so the RCD will
go.

Cheers

Tim