Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to mount a mirror to a cabinet door

Planning to mount a mirror to the door of a wall cabinet. The door
will probably either be wood or some type of particle board.

Wondering what the best way to do this is. The first thing I thought
of is to glue it. But sometimes you can see the glue through the
mirror.

Any recommendations as to either the right type of adhesive which
wouldn't cause this problem (or how to prevent it) or another way to
mount the mirror? I'm concerned that anything other than glue might
not be rigid enough since the door will obviously be moving.

(Note: Google has turned up some silicone based mirror/glass
adhesive... buts it not clear if this would avoid the problem I
described).

Thanks!
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jan, 23:27, Dave wrote:
Planning to mount a mirror to the door of a wall cabinet. The door
will probably either be wood or some type of particle board.

Wondering what the best way to do this is. The first thing I thought
of is to glue it. But sometimes you can see the glue through the
mirror.

Any recommendations as to either the right type of adhesive which
wouldn't cause this problem (or how to prevent it) or another way to
mount the mirror? I'm concerned that anything other than glue might
not be rigid enough since the door will obviously be moving.

(Note: Google has turned up some silicone based mirror/glass
adhesive... buts it not clear if this would avoid the problem I
described).

Thanks!
David

You should assume that the door will flex so it's best to accommodate
that. You might want to use three fixing positions as this will be
more compliant than four points or full bonding if the door is not
very rigid. You haven't said how big the mirror is but I have great
faith in double sided foam adhesive tape - same as used for sticky
pads. If you use a reasonable area of adhesive it will stick like the
proverbial. It will stick to the mirror ok. As for the door itself, I
suggest screwing some flat metal plates to it and putting the tape on
those. As a guide to tape area, if I were doing it, for a tall mirror
i.e. 12" - 48" I would have at least three pads (2 at the top) and
possibly four if the door is rigid enough, each pad about 3" square.
If you need to get the mirror off you probably won't without breaking
it. Make sure the surfaces are degreased before bonding and make sure
you get it in the right place and straight as you only get one go!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Planning to mount a mirror to the door of a wall cabinet. The door
will probably either be wood or some type of particle board.

Wondering what the best way to do this is. The first thing I thought
of is to glue it. But sometimes you can see the glue through the
mirror.

Then use a decent mirror and the proper glue.

Any recommendations as to either the right type of adhesive which
wouldn't cause this problem (or how to prevent it) or another way to
mount the mirror? I'm concerned that anything other than glue might
not be rigid enough since the door will obviously be moving.

(Note: Google has turned up some silicone based mirror/glass
adhesive... buts it not clear if this would avoid the problem I
described).

I just go into the place that makes the mirrors and say 'glue please'

Looks a lot like 'no more nails'

Sticks like **** to a bklanket.

Thanks!
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Planning to mount a mirror to the door of a wall cabinet. The door
will probably either be wood or some type of particle board.

Wondering what the best way to do this is. The first thing I thought
of is to glue it. But sometimes you can see the glue through the
mirror.

Any recommendations as to either the right type of adhesive which
wouldn't cause this problem (or how to prevent it) or another way to
mount the mirror? I'm concerned that anything other than glue might
not be rigid enough since the door will obviously be moving.

This is the kosher stuff to use to glue mirrors. Definitely don't
attempt to use anything not intended for mirrors:

http://tinyurl.com/22yd2v
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42317/Sealants-Adhesives/Adhesives/Grab-Adhesives/Mirror-Adhesives/Mirror-Bonding-Adhesive-310ml

There's no way you'll see this through the glass (unless you've got a
knackered old mirror with the silvering flaking off).

My only reservation would be whether it's OK for a slightly flexing
surface like a cupboard door - I'm not sure about that (as in, I don't
know!).

Alternatives would be to drill holes and use domed-capped mirror screws.
You can also get little metal angles brackets which cover the corners
(can't find a picture online) but they aren't very attractive.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:03:20 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

They're he

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-i...Pack-of-4.html

Depending on how thick your mirror is you may need a hardboard backing,
and they're more suited to fitting on the inside of a wardrobe door.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux