Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing mixer tap on kitchen sink

Hi,

I want to replace the horrible twee gold-effect mixer tap on my kitchen
sink with something less offensive, and have a couple of questions:

- The sink has a single tap hole. Are all such tap holes created equal,
i.e. if I buy a replacement from (say) screwfix, will it fit? The sink
is a generic cheap plastic thing.

- At the moment the pipes look like they go straight into the tap. I'd
like to install isolating valves, so do I need to go: original pipe -
valve - a bit more pipe - tap hose? Or is there an easier way?

Many thanks for any advice
- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Senior Unix and Network Gorilla | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:01:28 +0000, Ian Chard
wrote:

Hi,

I want to replace the horrible twee gold-effect mixer tap on my kitchen
sink with something less offensive, and have a couple of questions:

- The sink has a single tap hole. Are all such tap holes created equal,
i.e. if I buy a replacement from (say) screwfix, will it fit? The sink
is a generic cheap plastic thing.

- At the moment the pipes look like they go straight into the tap. I'd
like to install isolating valves, so do I need to go: original pipe -
valve - a bit more pipe - tap hose? Or is there an easier way?

Many thanks for any advice
- Ian

I would imagine that monobloc taps all fit the hole in all sinks but I
can't be sure .Best to measure the hole and check the specs of one you
intend buying if there is any doubt ..or maybe take a cutout of the
sink hole and check the tap against it if you are buying it in person
..

From what you say "At the moment the pipes look like they go straight
into the tap" that suggests that they have been fitted with copper
tails which are in turn fitted to 15mm copper . You would be better
fitting flexible tails such as this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99193/...tor-15mm-x-M10

which is a pushfit to the supply but you can also get ordinary
compression fittings .
This Screwfix tap comes complete with tails
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48053/...Mixer-CO-156-C
If you buy the tap and tails seperately make sure you buy the correct
size to fit in to the tap as some are 10mm and some other sizes. You
can also get tails with valves but I'm not sure if the monobloc ones
have valves as the hose has to be rotated to remove it from the tap so
the valve would prevent that . You would need to put the valve lower
down in the copper section so ,as you suggest you would have ...from
below .....supply in copper or plastic /valve/piece of copper or
plastic / then the tail / then the tap.

You say your sink is plastic? I take it it's not bog standard
plastic.

Some people have problems with sinks flexing when flexible tails are
fitted as these do not have the rigidity of copper and iirc some have
made suggestions to sort that but no doubt someone will be along to
say what .
Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Chard wrote:

I want to replace the horrible twee gold-effect mixer tap on my kitchen
sink with something less offensive, and have a couple of questions:

- The sink has a single tap hole. Are all such tap holes created equal,
i.e. if I buy a replacement from (say) screwfix, will it fit? The sink
is a generic cheap plastic thing.

AFAIK it should be fine - I've never come across different sized holes.

- At the moment the pipes look like they go straight into the tap. I'd
like to install isolating valves, so do I need to go: original pipe -
valve - a bit more pipe - tap hose? Or is there an easier way?

Pretty much, yes. You can certainly buy flexible hoses (comprerssion or
speedfit) which have built-in valves on the non-tap end, but am not sure
whether they are available for monobloc hoses (as opposed to 0.5" tap
connectors). Have a shufti on Screwfix.com at the link the other guy
gave you.

Fit the flexi tails to the pipe before you fit it to the sink; it's a
lot easier if you do this before fitting the sink to the worktop - can
be very awkward to gain access to the below-sink tap clamp.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Ian Chard wrote:

I want to replace the horrible twee gold-effect mixer tap on my
kitchen sink with something less offensive, and have a couple of
questions: - The sink has a single tap hole. Are all such tap holes
created
equal, i.e. if I buy a replacement from (say) screwfix, will it fit?
The sink is a generic cheap plastic thing.

AFAIK it should be fine - I've never come across different sized
holes.

Neither have I and monoblock changing is a popular job.

- At the moment the pipes look like they go straight into the tap. I'd
like to install isolating valves, so do I need to go: original
pipe - valve - a bit more pipe - tap hose? Or is there an easier
way?

Pretty much, yes. You can certainly buy flexible hoses (comprerssion
or speedfit) which have built-in valves on the non-tap end, but am
not sure whether they are available for monobloc hoses (as opposed to
0.5" tap connectors). Have a shufti on Screwfix.com at the link the
other guy gave you.

They are available to screw straight into the tap, but there are several
sizes. Might be best to pay a little more at a plumbers merchant & get the
right size.

Fit the flexi tails to the pipe before you fit it to the sink; it's a
lot easier if you do this before fitting the sink to the worktop - can
be very awkward to gain access to the below-sink tap clamp.

Indeed! If the sink is staying in place though, its well worth buying a
cheap set of the special box spanners - the clamp can be a bugger to do up
without them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Chard wrote:

I want to replace the horrible twee gold-effect mixer tap on my kitchen
sink with something less offensive, and have a couple of questions:

How old is the old tap unit?
Does it use rubber/plastic washers?
What temp is your hot water feed?

Most of the newer tap units have an everlasting ceramic washer
thingy that "never" needs changing. I have to change mine three
times before discovering that very hot water distroys the ever
lasting washer. This is of course totally undocumented.

Isolating valves are an extremely good idea. Everywhere.