Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Arrrggghhh!!

Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open? With
the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and turns up
the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Any ideas on a gadget that turns the CH off if windows are open?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:
Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open? With
the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and turns up
the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Any ideas on a gadget that turns the CH off if windows are open?

Steve

Or lights that turn themselves off.

In my single days, I laughed once, returned from a business trip abroad
with a colleague when, directing the taxi late one Friday night, he said
"that house over there, the one with all the lights blazing."

Now that I'm married, and still have the occasional business trip, I use
pretty much the same description.

When quizzed, "oh, the house feels more lived in with the lights on,
when you're away".

Bloody women.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Mr Sandman wrote:
Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open? With
the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and turns
up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Any ideas on a gadget that turns the CH off if windows are open?

Steve

Or lights that turn themselves off.

In my single days, I laughed once, returned from a business trip abroad
with a colleague when, directing the taxi late one Friday night, he said
"that house over there, the one with all the lights blazing."

Now that I'm married, and still have the occasional business trip, I use
pretty much the same description.

When quizzed, "oh, the house feels more lived in with the lights on, when
you're away".

Bloody women.

In our house it's the other way round. Grand daughter and I turn lights off
when we leave a room unless it's occupied. Guess who leaves them on?

Right in one. Spouse.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jan, 17:13, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

Mr Sandman wrote:
[...]

Short of carrying out a poll on this topic, I'm afraid, Mary, that my
vote goes with it being a trait of the ladies.

I transferred the phone bill some years ago to my good lady and I
think I should do the same with the heating and electricity bills -
I'm sure I would take it in good grace any comment about the workshop
light being on unlike the abuse I get when I complain about the
bathroom light being left on AGAIN ! Rant over !

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham writes

Short of carrying out a poll on this topic, I'm afraid, Mary, that my
vote goes with it being a trait of the ladies.

I transferred the phone bill some years ago to my good lady and I
think I should do the same with the heating and electricity bills -
I'm sure I would take it in good grace any comment about the workshop
light being on unlike the abuse I get when I complain about the
bathroom light being left on AGAIN ! Rant over !

Swap the bathroom light to an 8W energy saver, that'll teach 'er . . .
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:38:45 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

On 14 Jan, 17:13, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

snip

In our house it's the other way round. Grand daughter and I turn lights off
when we leave a room unless it's occupied. Guess who leaves them on?

Right in one. Spouse.

Mary

Short of carrying out a poll on this topic, I'm afraid, Mary, that my
vote goes with it being a trait of the ladies.

I'm inclined to agree.
We have no central heating, so the front room is warmed with a cosy
open fire - but there's a hell of draught that comes in under the door
to the hallway, so we use a 'sausage' draught excluder.
The kids have no problem putting it back, nor do I - but the wife just
doesn't seem to grasp the concept.
I suggested velcroing it to the door - but this idea was nixed...and I
haven't yet found a screw-on excluder that does the job.

I have semi-solved the problem though. I tried to train my sheepdog to
push the excluder back....but he kind of missed the point and took to
lying down at the door. Result!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
robgraham writes
"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Mr Sandman wrote:
[...]

I blame the education system - women (in general) were not (and it
appears still are not) encouraged in their early years to have awareness
of physical/scientific concepts. My better half, for instance, is simply
unable to understand how a TRV works and simply turns it to Max when the
room is too cool for her.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14 Jan, 17:13, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

snip

[...]

I saw a highly clever draught excluder in someones house recently. Two
tubes, each the width of the door joined by a strip of fabric.

O_______O

It moved with the opening & closing of the door.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open?
With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and
turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to check
the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine... "Steve!,.... the
boiler's not working...."

And then Steve would rush (albeit complaining) to solve the problem.

I blame the husbands and/or parents.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:
[...]

They were in my day - that is in grammar schools they were. Gosh, we even
did maths, physics, Chemistry and biology to A level and had several State
Scholarships in the subjects every year.

Oxford and Cambridge were no problem either because most girls were taught
Latin and some Greek.

My better half, for instance, is simply unable to understand how a TRV
works and simply turns it to Max when the room is too cool for her.

Then you're a lousy teacher.

Right?

Mary

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come back
to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp why the
kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes

I saw a highly clever draught excluder in someones house recently. Two
tubes, each the width of the door joined by a strip of fabric.

O_______O

Ah! My good lady saw those and suggested we try them :

URL:http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Produc...uage=en-GB&pro
duct=1170655

That link may break. Try the Scotts of Stow site, and search for
draught.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
My better half, for instance, is simply unable to understand how a TRV
works and simply turns it to Max when the room is too cool for her.

Then you're a lousy teacher.

Right?

Clearly.

I'd welcome your suggestions.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open?
With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and
turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to check
the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine... "Steve!,.... the
boiler's not working...."

And then Steve would rush (albeit complaining) to solve the problem.

I blame the husbands and/or parents.

For being too responsive? !!!

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come
back to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp
why the kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

So explain it to her!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
My better half, for instance, is simply unable to understand how a TRV
works and simply turns it to Max when the room is too cool for her.

Then you're a lousy teacher.

Right?

Clearly.

I'd welcome your suggestions.

I'm not a teacher - but I thought you were involved in a way in education

:-)

Mary

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open?
With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold
and
turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to
check
the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine... "Steve!,....
the
boiler's not working...."

And then Steve would rush (albeit complaining) to solve the problem.

I blame the husbands and/or parents.

For being too responsive? !!!

For responding in an inappropriate manner :-)

Mary

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:52:29 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come
back to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant
grasp why the kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

So explain it to her!

I've tried that with my other half.

I get about two sentences into it (no technical stuff, just 'don't do
that, it doesn't make a difference') and she just switches off and says
'it's too complicated for me'.

Mind you, I expect I'm the same when she witters on about cooking or
soaps or whatever it is she's saying when I'm not listening ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open?
With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold
and
turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to
check
the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine... "Steve!,....
the
boiler's not working...."

And then Steve would rush (albeit complaining) to solve the problem.

I blame the husbands and/or parents.

For being too responsive? !!!

For responding in an inappropriate manner :-)

Exactly, by solving the problem (like most men would do) instead of
assisting their womenfolk to use their own brains to work out the
solution themselves. or

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Mr Sandman" contains these words:

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come back
to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp why the
kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

Women in general haven't a clue what a thermostat is. But all our TRVs
in this house, have upper and lower limit stops which can be set to
prevent the rad being turned down too low or up too high. Or can be
used to lock the head at any point in its range. Problem solved as far
as the TRVs are concerned. The open windows are another story and I
haven't got the answer to that one. Yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come
back to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp
why the kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

So explain it to her!

Mary

i have! so many times!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

Mr Sandman wrote:

[...]

Wife pays for land line phone, electric and gas, but she always leaves
the kitchen to hall door open with our bedroom window and bathroom
window open. I have tried time and again to tell her how much energy she
is wasting, but let me leave the bathroom light on and I have to get a
needle and thread to put my neck back together again :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14 Jan, 17:13, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Well, they are an outside type of dog. Perhaps he likes the cold when he
blocks the draught :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:

The message
from "Mr Sandman" contains these words:

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come back
to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp why the
kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

Women in general haven't a clue what a thermostat is. But all our TRVs
in this house, have upper and lower limit stops which can be set to
prevent the rad being turned down too low or up too high. Or can be
used to lock the head at any point in its range. Problem solved as far
as the TRVs are concerned. The open windows are another story and I
haven't got the answer to that one. Yet.

8's by about an inch?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:

Colin Wilson wrote:

Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open?
With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold
and turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to
check the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine... "Steve!,....
the boiler's not working...."

Not if Steve had gone out for a while and switched his mobile off ;-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.uk...

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come
back to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant
grasp why the kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

So explain it to her!

I've tried that with my other half.

I get about two sentences into it (no technical stuff, just 'don't do
that, it doesn't make a difference') and she just switches off and says
'it's too complicated for me'.

Mind you, I expect I'm the same when she witters on about cooking or
soaps or whatever it is she's saying when I'm not listening ;-)

Why am I not surprised ?

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come
back to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp
why the kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

So explain it to her!

Mary

i have! so many times!

Not well enough!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appin" wrote in message
The message
from "Mr Sandman" contains these words:

I have the same problems with my wife. If im away for the day, i come
back
to a house with all the TRVs turned up full . She still cant grasp why
the
kitchen rad is cool when the living room rad is hot!

Women in general haven't a clue what a thermostat is.

That's a silly thing to say.

But all our TRVs
in this house, have upper and lower limit stops which can be set to
prevent the rad being turned down too low or up too high. Or can be
used to lock the head at any point in its range. Problem solved as far
as the TRVs are concerned. The open windows are another story and I
haven't got the answer to that one. Yet.

There's no point in complaining unless you're prepared to do something about
it. If you can't be bothered don't grumble.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

Mr Sandman wrote:

[...]

You mean you can SEW???

But that's women's work ...

Mary

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

The easy way out :-)

Mary

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message

Short of carrying out a poll on this topic, I'm afraid, Mary, that my
vote goes with it being a trait of the ladies.

I've just realised something.

You all married airheads. What can you expect? It's your own fault!

Mary
VBG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:43:06 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message

Short of carrying out a poll on this topic, I'm afraid, Mary, that my
vote goes with it being a trait of the ladies.

I've just realised something.

You all married airheads. What can you expect? It's your own fault!

****in' excellent shag tho'..

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Appin" wrote in message

[...]

But that is what the average man, married to the average woman, is
saying. I have a wife that constantly leaves the kitchen door (that
opens up to the stairs) wide open when we have the bathroom window and
several bedroom windows open and does not realise that all that cold air
is coming down to all that warm air and the warm air is going out of the
windows :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message

Mr Sandman wrote:

[...]

I can use a sewing machine like an expert. (I was trained as a fitter,
so I know how things have to go together.)

Due to my childhood asthma, (my mother taught me all this) I can knit,
chroche, sew and use a sewing machine. Not too long ago I made some
stretch covers for our modular settee.

One thing I can not do, is to turn up a pair of trousers. I don't have
that light touch to pick up the outer threads of the trousers, so it is
not obvious outside of the leg :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Yep, but I've tried the alternative & the venom at my (perceived)
refusal to be the instant-solver-of-all-problems was intolerable.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Mike Dodd wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:

Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open?
With the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold
and turns up the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Take the fuse out on the boiler, and see how long it takes them to
check the windows are shut - I reckon it'll take less than 30 minute :-p

Problem is... it'd take only 10 minutes for the whine...
"Steve!,.... the boiler's not working...."

Not if Steve had gone out for a while and switched his mobile off ;-)

Steve would then return to find the most expensive rogue-traders in
Yellow pages providing their 'best' quotes for the absolutely essential
replacement of the faulty & underpowered boiler.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:49:45 -0000, "Mr Sandman"
wrote:

Why do women (2 daughters and wife) insist on leaving windows open? With
the heating full blast cus its cold?? Then complains its cold and turns up
the heating rather than check windows are closed!

Any ideas on a gadget that turns the CH off if windows are open?

Steve

Make them pay the gas bill. They'll learn.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Time for an automatic door closer?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 14 Jan,
Appin wrote:

Women in general haven't a clue what a thermostat is. But all our TRVs
in this house, have upper and lower limit stops which can be set to
prevent the rad being turned down too low or up too high. Or can be
used to lock the head at any point in its range.

Don't you believe it! They can remove an upper stop before you can pour a
beer!

Not if you epoxy it in place!! HA-HA!

Steve