Chris Harris

Default Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall

I am wanting to insulate an outside wall, but keep the "solid" feel of
the wall. Can anyone see any problems for me if I affix foil bubble
wrap thermal sheeting onto the wall and then screw plasterboard ontop
of that? The alternative is to use batons in between the wall and
plasterboard, but I'd loose that solid feeling.

Plasterboard is pretty solid!

Why not used insulated plasterboard, it has a sort of insulating foam on the
back?

CJH

John Armstrong

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:13:06 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:
If you flatten the insulation, between the plaster board and the wall, then
it won't work. You'd get better results strapping the wall with inch by two
battens and placing your insulation between them. Bubble wrap is not
recommended as an insulator in any part of the house, as it is a great fire
risk if even heated through the plasterboard, so stay clear of that idea.

Alreflex 2L2 is basically foil covered bubble wrap. Don't have any
data to hand and website is under construction but I have seen it used
as the only insulation in a new build.

I think the insulated plasterboard would be a better idea though, but
not cheap.

--
John
Gnube

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:13:06 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Hi James,

If you flatten the insulation, between the plaster board and the wall, then
it won't work. You'd get better results strapping the wall with inch by two
battens and placing your insulation between them. Bubble wrap is not
recommended as an insulator in any part of the house, as it is a great fire
risk if even heated through the plasterboard, so stay clear of that idea.

You may actually feel a difference with nothing in between the new plaster
board and the outside wall with just the battens idea, but a good insulator
for this type situation is fire retardant, which I think most are today,
felt carpet underlay.

Where might that foam 2mm underlay for laminates floors fit in all
this - maybe worth thinking about? Wouldn't it have all the right
standards met already, if it's sold for it's intended use anyway?

I'm thinking it sits between a room surface and it's outer shell, and
is OK for sale for that use, so does it matter which surface of the
the room it's resting on?? Wall as opposed to more normal floor (which
might be concrete, with a membrane!) Better than bubble wrap methinks,
but is it safe enough to try out? I bet it could retain much of the
solid feel in the original brief too.

Not that I know much, but it seems a question worth asking anyway!

Take Care,
Gnube
James W

Why not used insulated plasterboard, it has a sort of insulating foam on the
back?

CJH

Its because I have some foil bubble wrap sheeting and plasterboard
left over from previous jobs :-)

The bubble wrap might also act as a vapour block.

Thanks for the responses!

James

Subsiding Wall... Martin UK diy 7 July 8th 03 08:13 PM
How high can a garden wall between two houses be? M. Farlow UK diy 9 July 5th 03 04:49 PM
Fixing to plasterboard ceiling BigWallop UK diy 1 July 4th 03 09:21 AM