Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Random orbit sanders - green Bosch PEX400 vs blue Bosch GEX 125?

The well-liked green PEX400 seems to be getting expensive - Screwfix
has gone from £58 to £70 just this week, and I can't find a price for
it better than about £62 (I'll probably go for £66 from the local high
street)

So is this still the best sander to get? Or should I go for an only
slightly more expensive blue Bosch GEX125? (£75) Less powerful, but I
wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a longer working life.

GEX150 (£130) or the Metabo seem significantly more expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-10 13:08:57 +0000, Andy Dingley said:

The well-liked green PEX400 seems to be getting expensive - Screwfix
has gone from £58 to £70 just this week, and I can't find a price for
it better than about £62 (I'll probably go for £66 from the local high
street)

So is this still the best sander to get? Or should I go for an only
slightly more expensive blue Bosch GEX125? (£75) Less powerful, but I
wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a longer working life.

GEX150 (£130) or the Metabo seem significantly more expensive.

I have the Metabo. It's a lot nicer in terms of (lack of) vibration
to the hands as compared with an earlier Bosch that I had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theres the Makita BO5012 @ £75ish. Probably outlast a green Bosch.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 1:08*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
The well-liked green PEX400 seems to be getting expensive - Screwfix
has gone from £58 to £70 just this week, and I can't find a price for
it better than about £62 (I'll probably go for £66 from the local high
street)

So is this still the best sander to get? Or should I go for an only
slightly more expensive blue Bosch GEX125? (£75) *Less powerful, but I
wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a longer working life.

GEX150 (£130) or the Metabo seem significantly more expensive.

Here's a Metabo for £75:

http://www.qwikfast.co.uk/catalogue/.../cPath/86_125/
products_id/253

Or a Wickes/Kress with a 3yr g'tee which is very reasonably priced:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167246

If it's to be used a lot a 3yr g'tee is worth having, also check price/
availability of backing pad - I *think* some are generic.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jan, 20:49, "The Medway Handyman"
Theres the Makita BO5012 @ £75ish. Probably outlast a green Bosch.

I've just bought a BO5010 (fixed speed) because it was the last thing
in the shop.

Can't say I'm desperately impressed on opening it up, as they've
abandoned the re-usable cloth dustbag in favour of some crappy paper
thing. So now I've got to make a proper bag for the thing too. I also
paid too much for it.

Like most of the US-made Makita stuff I've seen it's also competently
made, but crudely designed. The handgrip is too high for good control
and there's just no sense of "finesse" about it. It'll probably last
forever, and I'll always be waiting for it to break so I have an
excuse to go and buy something better.

Serves me right for trying to support a local toolshop. A mistake I
think, should have gone mail order. 8-(

Unsolicited praise of new blue Bosch corded drill... Tim S UK diy 2 June 19th 06 01:57 PM
Random Orbit Sanders David Lang UK diy 1 July 15th 05 12:35 AM
5" Random orbit sander operation MH Woodworking 2 August 3rd 04 04:53 PM
Random Orbit Sander..Porter Cable 333VS..Ridgid 2610..Bosch 3727DEVS hda Woodworking 5 October 9th 03 05:06 AM