Bedroom or boxroom?

Old September 28th 03, 08:32 PM
David

Default Bedroom or boxroom?

Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

Are the rules different for new builds as compared to existing
properties? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of creating a
third bedroom in a property I'm buying by putting up a stud partition
and although personally I'm happy that the room will be big enough, I
don't want to get it wrong, especially when it comes to resale.

Thanks
David
Old September 28th 03, 09:05 PM
Grunff

David wrote:

Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.

But that would be taking the **** a bit.

--
Grunff

Old September 28th 03, 09:22 PM
Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:05:50 UTC, Grunff wrote:

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.

But that would be taking the **** a bit.

Anyone see that story last week about some builder (Red...something?)
that had built a row of about 9 'town houses'. The stairs had a sharp
bend and it was impossible to get most furniture above the ground floor
(which was kitchen and dining room).

The builders said people could always use the upstairs living room as a
dining room and vice versa. But no TV or telephone points downstairs
anyway...

On being pressed, they said the homes were intended for 'modern young
people who liked minimalism and modular furniture'. Or, in other words,
flatpacks...

Old houses do have their advantages (but I draw the line at an earth
floor, Mary!).

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old September 28th 03, 09:31 PM
Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:05:50 GMT, Grunff wrote
David wrote:

Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to
define a bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent
parlance - they can't get away with describing something as a
bedroom when it's really a cupboard.

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.
But that would be taking the **** a bit.

Depends on the particular market, but yeah -- that'd be a serious ****-
take, to me!

[We have 5 bedrooms, the smallest of which is 8' x 6'6" (2.4mx2.0m) --
if I hung the door so it swung outward I could fit a 4' double bed in
there, easy.......an estate agent's "Double Bedroom?" ]

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Old September 28th 03, 09:39 PM
Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:22:09 GMT, Bob Eager wrote
wrote:

Anyone see that story last week about some builder
(Red...something?) that had built a row of about 9 'town houses'.
The stairs had a sharp bend and it was impossible to get most
furniture above the ground floor (which was kitchen and dining
room).

The builders said people could always use the upstairs living room
as a dining room and vice versa. But no TV or telephone points
downstairs anyway...

On being pressed, they said the homes were intended for 'modern
young people who liked minimalism and modular furniture'. Or, in
other words, flatpacks...

Reminds me of a case a couple of years ago -- not sure where, but on
some Wimpret/Barpey sort of development -- where the "garage" was just
wide enough to fit a car in, but it was physically impossible to open
the car doors far enough to get out.

The accompanying news photo was of the owner crawling out through the
sun-roof......(who had the gall to complain about this....honestly:
some people).

The builder defended the sizing by saying that "these garages were
intended for use as storage space rather than for cars"

Old September 28th 03, 09:46 PM
Mark S.

David wrote:

Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to
define a bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent
parlance - they can't get away with describing something as a
bedroom when it's really a cupboard.

I don't know if there are any rules, but I'd guess that any room
which can fit a single bed (maybe even a narrow one, 2'6") with
enough room to walk down one side could be counted a bedroom.

That makes a min size of ~6'6" x 3'6", or about 2mx1m.
But that would be taking the **** a bit.

Depends on the particular market, but yeah -- that'd be a serious ****-
take, to me!

[We have 5 bedrooms, the smallest of which is 8' x 6'6" (2.4mx2.0m) --
if I hung the door so it swung outward I could fit a 4' double bed in
there, easy.......an estate agent's "Double Bedroom?" ]

Last weeks Property Ladder one of the estate agents who was looking
round took a measurement and said "just a bedroom" so I'd guess it was
to fit a single bed in it at a minimum?

Mark S.

Old September 28th 03, 09:57 PM
Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:46:29 GMT, Mark S. wrote

David wrote:

[...]

Probably, for marketing; not sure.

For real life, a bed, side table and small wardrobe/bookcase affair
would be a minimum. (For me, anyway.)

Old September 28th 03, 11:31 PM
dg

The housing act lays down some standards - ie the minimum bedroom size for
a child under 10 is 50sq feet (4.65m2), and for an adult it is 70 sq feet
(6.51m2), but this is just for LA housing or rental accomodation.

This is based on the Parker-Morris review in the 60's, but the private
sector did not tend to adopt the size guides.

There are few rules for descriptions, but a "bedroom" must be able to fit a
bed in it (not any other furniture as well) for it to be classed as suitable
for sleeping in.

For planning purposes, some LA's have adopted their own size standards for
situations that require planning approval. Yours would not.

dg

Old September 29th 03, 01:18 AM
Gnube

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:46:29 +0100, Mark S.
wrote:

took a measurement and said "just a bedroom" so I'd guess it was
to fit a single bed in it at a minimum?

Probably forgot to say "Only" in front of the "Just a bedroom" ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Old September 29th 03, 06:54 AM
The Natural Philosopher

David wrote:

Hi
Does anybody know what constitutes the minimum dimensions to define a
bedroom as such? I'm really talking about estate agent parlance -
they can't get away with describing something as a bedroom when it's
really a cupboard.

Are the rules different for new builds as compared to existing
properties? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of creating a
third bedroom in a property I'm buying by putting up a stud partition
and although personally I'm happy that the room will be big enough, I
don't want to get it wrong, especially when it comes to resale.

Thanks
David

I remember when I were a student wer had this drummer and his groupie
camping out in the cupboard under the stairs. Enough room for a double
matress ...