Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to shave a bit off ceramic tiles?

There are a couple of places in the house where ceramic wall tiles have
pulled away from the plaster underneath, and some more sound hollow when
tapped so are likely to pull away soon. Investigation shows they won't
expanded, which seems unlikely).

It seems a lot of work to remove and re-lay the entire tiled wall, so
I'd prefer just to re-fit the few which have pulled away, as the rest
seem firm enough. But this means taking a tiny bit, less than a
millimetre, off the edge of a few tiles. I am guessing that it would
not be an easy thing to do with a tile cutter or a tile saw. I suspect
it could be done by grinding or filing along the edge, but I'm not sure
of the best tool for the job.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jan, 14:48, Clive Page wrote:
There are a couple of places in the house where ceramic wall tiles have
pulled away from the plaster underneath, and some more sound hollow when
tapped so are likely to pull away soon. Investigation shows they won't
expanded, which seems unlikely).

It seems a lot of work to remove and re-lay the entire tiled wall, so
I'd prefer just to re-fit the few which have pulled away, as the rest
seem firm enough. But this means taking a tiny bit, less than a
millimetre, off the edge of a few tiles. I am guessing that it would
not be an easy thing to do with a tile cutter or a tile saw. I suspect
it could be done by grinding or filing along the edge, but I'm not sure
of the best tool for the job.

--
Clive Page

What grouting gap have you got, such that less than a millimetre will
make them fit ?
Are they butted up or have the spacing nibs on ?
You can shave a bit off with an electric tile cutter, or simply a
diamond tile file (from B&Q etc).
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Page writes:
There are a couple of places in the house where ceramic wall tiles have
pulled away from the plaster underneath, and some more sound hollow when
tapped so are likely to pull away soon. Investigation shows they won't
expanded, which seems unlikely).

It seems a lot of work to remove and re-lay the entire tiled wall, so
I'd prefer just to re-fit the few which have pulled away, as the rest
seem firm enough. But this means taking a tiny bit, less than a
millimetre, off the edge of a few tiles. I am guessing that it would
not be an easy thing to do with a tile cutter or a tile saw. I suspect
it could be done by grinding or filing along the edge, but I'm not sure
of the best tool for the job.

Often they are very soft. Rubbing on a sheet of sandpaper
would so it, or a belt sander even faster. This even works
with quite hard ceramic floor tiles.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Page" wrote in message
There are a couple of places in the house where ceramic wall tiles have
pulled away from the plaster underneath, and some more sound hollow when
tapped so are likely to pull away soon. Investigation shows they won't
expanded, which seems unlikely).

It seems a lot of work to remove and re-lay the entire tiled wall, so
I'd prefer just to re-fit the few which have pulled away, as the rest
seem firm enough. But this means taking a tiny bit, less than a
millimetre, off the edge of a few tiles. I am guessing that it would
not be an easy thing to do with a tile cutter or a tile saw. I suspect
it could be done by grinding or filing along the edge, but I'm not sure
of the best tool for the job.

--
Clive Page

Bench grinder,if you have one? shouldn't be a problem taking off the amount
you need regardless of wheel type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
What grouting gap have you got, such that less than a millimetre will
make them fit ?
Are they butted up or have the spacing nibs on ?

There seems to be no gap at all, but actually that's with the spacing
nibs on. Maybe I just need to grind these off, and that will reduce the
size enough.

You can shave a bit off with an electric tile cutter, or simply a
diamond tile file (from B&Q etc).

Thanks.

--
Clive Page

Ceramic Tiles RML Home Repair 5 April 24th 07 07:48 AM
Ceramic tiles outside? jon UK diy 3 September 26th 06 11:39 AM
ceramic tiles SLSKMS Home Repair 0 April 17th 06 04:35 PM
cork tiles onto ceramic tiles? Pete UK diy 1 April 29th 05 12:31 AM
Ceramic tiles Alec Powell UK diy 0 October 11th 03 12:36 PM