Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortice lock removal

My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

An angle grinder will cope with the hardened pins no bother assuming of
course you can get access to the bolt.
Do you know if it's a 3 lever, 5lever or a decent BS 5 lever lock?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 18:28, "Scabbydug" wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of themorticelocks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

An angle grinder will cope with the hardened pins no bother assuming of
course you can get access to the bolt.
Do you know if it's a 3 lever, 5lever or a decent BS 5 lever lock?

Thanks for that. I can get the grinder blade in the gap between the
door and jamb.

I think it is a 5 lever as the others in the house are.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when we can get a new lock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message

My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of themorticelocks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

An angle grinder will cope with the hardened pins no bother assuming of
course you can get access to the bolt. Do you know if it's a 3 lever,
5lever or a decent BS 5 lever lock?

Thanks for that. I can get the grinder blade in the gap between the door
and jamb.

I think it is a 5 lever as the others in the house are.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when we can get a new lock.

==================================
If it's the same type and same manufacturer as the others you might be
able to get a local locksmith to make a master key based on one of the
keys belonging to the other locks.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

[...]

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

If she's renting, then it's not her problem to sort out anyway; if she's
the home owner... well how can she really afford to be a home owner?
She's going to have to cope with an awful lot worse bills than a
non-emergency locksmith. Just being realistic I'm afraid...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:14:43 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

chudford wrote:
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

[...]

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

If she's renting, then it's not her problem to sort out anyway; if she's
the home owner... well how can she really afford to be a home owner?
She's going to have to cope with an awful lot worse bills than a
non-emergency locksmith. Just being realistic I'm afraid...

David

My thoughts also.
She needs to contact either the landlord or the previous owner. I
would assume that missing keys should be claimed for from the previous
owner if they have not got any.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 18:42, Skipweasel wrote:

And if you don't already know, you can get extra-thin blades. They're
bloody useless for grinding, 'cos they're designed for cutting,

It's worth pointing out that these are the _extra_thin_ cutting disks,
not just the usual thin cutters (Screwfix have them).

I've not yet encountered a mortice lock with any sort of gap where I
couldn't get one of these into it. They also deal with steel rollers
no problem.

(If you're having to cut into wood, a MutleyMaster is the dog's medals
for this job)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
chudford wrote:
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

Easiest to cut through the hinges, I'd say. You might even be able to
whack the pins out.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

Oh dear.

If you can remove the hinges, remove the lock and get some keys cut for
it - should be cheaper than a new lock if a decent make.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec, 18:18, chudford wrote:
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

Well I successfully changed the lock.

I tried removing the hinge pins, got them out but couldn't get the
door off as the hinge plates jammed and it would have damaged the door
to push it out.

So plan B, I cut the lock with an angle grinder. No problems cut
through the hardened steel inserts OK and the bolt fell off.

Fitted new lock and have one happy daughter.

Thanks for all the advice and a happy new year.

Off to put on the mask, stripey jumper and swag bag for the next job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Reminds me when a neighbour locked his keys in his car. Luckily a window
hadn't been fully wound up, so with my DIY car theft kit comprising of a
wire coat hanger and shoe-lace we went fishing.

The irony was that total strangers stopped & offered assistance. Even trying
their own keys! Never-the-less, my latent criminal tendancy won the
situation & I managed to lasoo the offending doorlock without having to
resort to manufacturing a 'shimmy' ;-)

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , cerberus
writes
The irony was that total strangers stopped & offered assistance.

Joe public are a strange breed, in a previous life my wife's daughter
lost the key to the padlock that was holding her bike secure in the
middle of Bedford. I went down with a small anvil, hammer and chisel, a
couple of minutes later the lock was off and the bike gone. Centre of
town on a Saturday, no one batted an eyelid.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
Yeah, but that's Bedford.

(And before you draw breath to defend the place, I live there.)

So do I, I was just thinking that I agreed with you, no thoughts of
defending it!

The location was the small alley way from the post office down towards
pigeon square. These days the local inhabitants would probably have had
it away before I got there.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , cerberus
writes
The irony was that total strangers stopped & offered assistance.

Joe public are a strange breed, in a previous life my wife's daughter
lost the key to the padlock that was holding her bike secure in the
middle of Bedford. I went down with a small anvil, hammer and chisel,
a couple of minutes later the lock was off and the bike gone. Centre
of town on a Saturday, no one batted an eyelid.

Not just 'Joe Public' I'm afraid!

Many moons ago (as an undergraduate), I'd locked my bike ouside the library
& somehow manged to lose the key.

I carried the padlocked bike on my shoulder through Hull City centre to the
central police station unchallenged. I asked the desk sergeant if there were
any keys in 'lost property' that might open the lock & he told me to go to
the station garage at the rear & they'd cut it off (which they did). No
questions asked by ANYBODY!

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-31, Bill wrote:
In message , cerberus
writes
The irony was that total strangers stopped & offered assistance.

Joe public are a strange breed, in a previous life my wife's daughter
lost the key to the padlock that was holding her bike secure in the
middle of Bedford. I went down with a small anvil, hammer and
chisel, a couple of minutes later the lock was off and the bike
gone. Centre of town on a Saturday, no one batted an eyelid.

Yeah, but that's Bedford.

(And before you draw breath to defend the place, I live there.)

Somebody has to :-)

Happy New Year.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:
On 30 Dec, 18:18, chudford wrote:
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

Well I successfully changed the lock.

I tried removing the hinge pins, got them out but couldn't get the
door off as the hinge plates jammed and it would have damaged the door
to push it out.

So plan B, I cut the lock with an angle grinder. No problems cut
through the hardened steel inserts OK and the bolt fell off.

Fitted new lock and have one happy daughter.

Innit nice when you are a hero?

Where the steel inserts the sort that are supposed to spin & thus prevent
sawing through?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Bill contains these words:

Joe public are a strange breed, in a previous life my wife's daughter
lost the key to the padlock that was holding her bike secure in the
middle of Bedford. I went down with a small anvil, hammer and chisel, a
couple of minutes later the lock was off and the bike gone. Centre of
town on a Saturday, no one batted an eyelid.

Why am I not surprised?

Last May some swine living at 7 Hardwick Road in Bedford ordered a
bicycle on the internet quoting my name and the number of one of my
credit cards.
Somewhat surprisingly, the bicycle retailer sent the bicycle to that
address without any checks.

Phoned Bedford's "finest" where a female grunt told me in no uncertain
terms that the Bedford Police couldn't care less and wouldn't even take
details.

Lessons to be learned

1. Bedford is a good place to steal bicycles -- the police are ready to
state officially that they aren't interested

2. Do not use a Citicard of any description -- months of talking to
personages in an Indian call centre have achieved absolutely nothing but
promises to talk to "the concerned department" -- to which I respond
that the problem is that the department is not concerned.

3. Do not use a Shell Mastercard -- Shell aren't interested either

Bedford --- bicycle theft capital of the world! :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-31, Bill wrote:
In message , cerberus
writes
The irony was that total strangers stopped & offered assistance.
Joe public are a strange breed, in a previous life my wife's daughter
lost the key to the padlock that was holding her bike secure in the
middle of Bedford. I went down with a small anvil, hammer and
chisel, a couple of minutes later the lock was off and the bike
gone. Centre of town on a Saturday, no one batted an eyelid.

Yeah, but that's Bedford.

(And before you draw breath to defend the place, I live there.)

Somebody has to :-)

Not sure they do actually.

WOULD WE MISS BEDFORD?

Happy New Year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cerberus wrote:

Reminds me when a neighbour locked his keys in his car. Luckily a window
hadn't been fully wound up, so with my DIY car theft kit comprising of a
wire coat hanger and shoe-lace we went fishing.

My wife did this in Florence with a hired car.
A man from the car-firm opened the door with a kind of balloon
which he inserted in the gap by the door lock,
and pumped up.
I've never seen this before.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy writes:
cerberus wrote:

Reminds me when a neighbour locked his keys in his car. Luckily a window
hadn't been fully wound up, so with my DIY car theft kit comprising of a
wire coat hanger and shoe-lace we went fishing.

My wife did this in Florence with a hired car.
A man from the car-firm opened the door with a kind of balloon
which he inserted in the gap by the door lock,
and pumped up.
I've never seen this before.

Some Italian colleagues locked themselves out of their Fiat
van, having driven it over from Italy. They called their
breakdown cover which turned up in the form of an AA man.
He went round to the back of his van and returned, much to
our alarm (and theirs even more so;-), with a hammer.
Anyway, he reached under a wheel arch and tapped it with
the hammer. All the door lock buttons poped up!

I was just specing a new car for myself at the time.
I crossed off central [un]locking...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Jan, 01:44, Appin wrote:
[...]

You should have requested chargeback from the CC.

If no success take them to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This can
cost the CC Co ~300 ukpds even if you lose. This means they will
almost certainly do something.

I believe it is now official that CC fraud is practically out of hands
of the police and in the hands of the banks. There is concern that
this is bad thing because lots of CC crime is related to other crime.
However, even before this change the police probably wouldn't give a
toss.

3. *Do not use a Shell Mastercard -- Shell aren't interested either

Bedford --- bicycle theft capital of the world! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from contains these words:

On 1 Jan, 01:44, Appin wrote:
[...]

Which of course I did. But remember that dealing with small persons in
an Indidan Call Centre where most of them have only a limmited command
of INDIAN English which is NOT the same in its grammar, syntax or use of
tenses is not an easy exercise, especially as they seem to specialise in
not listening to what's said to them. The few who seem to understand
pass it on to someone else who doesn't. I can't get it into their
heads that there were two fraudultent transactions on the same day. It
took me less than an hour to track down exactly who had got what from
whom and to where the bicycle had been delivered. But Citicard are
refusing to treat it as a chargeback, in spite of the fact that the card
never left my possession and the retailer delivered goods to an address
other than that of the cardholder without any check being made. Even
the "invoice address" given to the retailer (who did not send an invoice
to that address) was not the precise address held by the card company,
although the postcode was correct and a letter would have arrived.

If no success take them to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This can
cost the CC Co ~300 ukpds even if you lose. This means they will
almost certainly do something.

Sadly, I doubt if they'll do anything. I have already spoken to Trading
Standards and to the Financial Ombudsman service who have already
written to Citicard, to no obvious avail. Hardly surprising, as
Citicard have already failed to respond to (or even acknowledge) two
recorded delivery letters sent as far back as November. I will, of
course, contact the Financial Ombudsman service as soon as the statutory
time limit for action by Citicard has expired.

It is probably simple but almost total incompetence on the part of
Citicard, but lying seems to be the order of the day there. Not one of
the countless promises of calls back has ever materialised. Needless
to say I have ensured that calls were made to real geographical numbers
(thanks to
www.saynoto0870.com) so have cost me nothing, and have also
ensured that I obtain the (alleged) names of those to whom I have been
speaking, together with the times of calls and the content of the
conversation.

However, bearing in mind that the card was branded Shell, I find the
response of Shell to repeated calls to be absolutely incredibly
unhelpful, bearing in mind the damage to THEIR reputation. After all,
THEY chose to remove the card contract from the Royal Bank of Scotland
and award it to Citicard. And just to make matters more complicated
there's a second issue in that the rebate supposedly paid on purchase on
the card is NOT being paid because Citicard don't recognise the list of
Shell stations in GB at which purchases of Shell petrol validate payment
of the rebate. They may speak English at the various Shell call
centres, but they're no more use than Citcard's Indian call centre.
Basically it's a case of "Not on our list of things we have an answer to
-- go away and pester someone else!"

Hence my advice

* Steer clear of Citicard

* Steer clear of Shell

I believe it is now official that CC fraud is practically out of hands
of the police and in the hands of the banks. There is concern that
this is bad thing because lots of CC crime is related to other crime.
However, even before this change the police probably wouldn't give a
toss.

What was a little surpising in this case was that there were meaningful
details of delivery address. Quite clearly it was most unlikely that
the culprits were living there under my name, but it would have been at
least relevant to nose around and it would also have been relevant to
consider the fact that the other transaction was a London Congestion
Charge. A close look at the vehicles owned by the current denizens of
the said address might at least put the wind up them.

In any case, my opinion of the grunts was already very low, so it's
questionable whether it could drop much further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
WOULD WE MISS BEDFORD?

(a) depends on how pretty Miss Bedford is?

Well, I can't find a Google image of any such individual -- at least in
terms of Bedford, England. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear (based on train
journeys in that area) that we can go on the assumption that such a
female would be loud and brassy, with lots of bling and a compulsion to
clart on makeup " as thick as it'll stick" and to show off as much of a
pair of ugly breasts as can be displayed without the nipples falling out
of her top.

(b) depends on how accurate your ICBM is?

Surely a shorter range missile would do the job more than adequately and
perhaps more accurately?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cerberus wrote:

[...]

I don't know what a shimmy is, but this reminds me of the time a teacher
locked her keys in her car. The RAC were called and this is the way he
got in.

Got a rubber wedge and inserted it into the top back corner of the door
and the body, springing the top of the door outwards.

Took a brush with some form of lubricant and wetted the top door seal
with it.

Took a well bent and obviously very well used piece if wire that was a
fair bit thicker than a coat hanger and proceeded to fish for the
un-lock button. I presume this wire was used at both ends so that he
could hook it around the button that sticks out of the door where the
glass starts and others where you unlock a different way.

He wasn't there 5 minutes before he was driving off. Just goes to show
how easy it is, to get into a car without breaking a window. :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Timothy Murphy writes:

cerberus wrote:

[...]

That is usually the air bag trigger. I have been told that if you hit
that, the central locking unlocks. Quite why it does not trigger the air
bags, I don't know.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Appin
writes
The message
from contains these words:

On 1 Jan, 01:44, Appin wrote:
[...]

I've only once had trouble with a a CC company in the vain you describe.
I got to so fed up of having the same conversations over and over again
with the call centre that eventually I went to the police station and
got myself a crime number.

The police station was as interested in it as the call centre to be
honest, but AIUI, any allegation of a crime *must* be recorded and
investigated. I had to make a total PIA of myself at the nick but
eventually I got myself a crime number.

I then went back to the CC company and said (sort of long winded version
of) "shove that up your asre, I'm not paying". As if by magic it all
went away.

Hth, I do appreciate how frustrating these CC co's can be.
--
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Took a well bent and obviously very well used piece if wire that was a
fair bit thicker than a coat hanger and proceeded to fish for the
un-lock button. I presume this wire was used at both ends so that he
could hook it around the button that sticks out of the door where the
glass starts and others where you unlock a different way.

He wasn't there 5 minutes before he was driving off. Just goes to show
how easy it is, to get into a car without breaking a window. :-(

I'm sure it still is easy; but for that reason not many cars these days
have unlock buttons that can be hooked; ie, the are more like rods than
golf-tees.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Dave wrote:

Took a well bent and obviously very well used piece if wire that was a
fair bit thicker than a coat hanger and proceeded to fish for the
un-lock button. I presume this wire was used at both ends so that he
could hook it around the button that sticks out of the door where the
glass starts and others where you unlock a different way.

He wasn't there 5 minutes before he was driving off. Just goes to show
how easy it is, to get into a car without breaking a window. :-(

I'm sure it still is easy; but for that reason not many cars these days
have unlock buttons that can be hooked; ie, the are more like rods than
golf-tees.

Most pros use slim steel tools to go down the side of the glass to the
inside of the door and hook up the button or operating lever. For this
reason decent cars have deadlocks which disable the pop up button
operation. Also shrouds round the lock to try and prevent access to it.
But only partially effective.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Took a well bent and obviously very well used piece if wire that was
a fair bit thicker than a coat hanger and proceeded to fish for the
un-lock button. I presume this wire was used at both ends so that he
could hook it around the button that sticks out of the door where the
glass starts and others where you unlock a different way.

He wasn't there 5 minutes before he was driving off. Just goes to
show how easy it is, to get into a car without breaking a window. :-(

I'm sure it still is easy; but for that reason not many cars these
days have unlock buttons that can be hooked; ie, the are more like
rods than golf-tees.

David

Mmmm...the words Audi, half tennis balls & 'lock bumping' spring to mind
:-(

Don.