Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default retractable garage doors

Hi,

Following on from my garage door dilemmas, I'm thinking of replacing
our old (broken) canopy door with a retractable version. I'm confused
by the term "retractable"; do they retract fully or is there any
canopy effect?

I presume they are much more stable since they run into tracts? the
problem we used to have with the canopy door was when you lifted it by
the corner rather than the middle; it would tangle the wires. Are
retractable doors more resilient to bad handling? Do they have wires
that get tangled or not? What happens if you try to lift one from a
corner?

Are they much more secure than canopy doors?

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Following on from my garage door dilemmas, I'm thinking of replacing
our old (broken) canopy door with a retractable version. I'm confused
by the term "retractable"; do they retract fully or is there any
canopy effect?

I presume they are much more stable since they run into tracts? the
problem we used to have with the canopy door was when you lifted it by
the corner rather than the middle; it would tangle the wires. Are
retractable doors more resilient to bad handling? Do they have wires
that get tangled or not? What happens if you try to lift one from a
corner?

Are they much more secure than canopy doors?

Thank you.

Shouldn't you always try to be aware of the design when handling things like
garage doors (and drawers in cupboards, etc). Things will last a lot longer
if you do - and such things like a bit of lubrication now and again. (Pet
gripe of mine is that few homes now have an oil can)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:00:31 GMT, Fred wrote:

Hi,

Following on from my garage door dilemmas, I'm thinking of replacing
our old (broken) canopy door with a retractable version. I'm confused
by the term "retractable"; do they retract fully or is there any
canopy effect?

I presume they are much more stable since they run into tracts? the
problem we used to have with the canopy door was when you lifted it by
the corner rather than the middle; it would tangle the wires. Are
retractable doors more resilient to bad handling? Do they have wires
that get tangled or not? What happens if you try to lift one from a
corner?

Are they much more secure than canopy doors?

Thank you.

They are certainly far more stable in use, being supported at four points. I
would suggest also simpler and thus more reliable. I keep mine lubricated and
it's as good as new after many years.

They are also more readily automated . I really appreciate having the opener and
wouldn't be without on now.

I don't think any garage door is really secure against a determined thief.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:09:06 GMT, "John"
wrote:

Shouldn't you always try to be aware of the design when handling things like
garage doors

That's why I'm here asking

If you are on about the canopy wires tangling, I walked round the
corner and came face to face with a half open door and instinctively
reached to push it up so it didn't take my eye out, which happened
before I could think about the design and correct way to handle it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:14:48 +0000, Andy Cap
wrote:

They are certainly far more stable in use, being supported at four points. I
would suggest also simpler and thus more reliable. I keep mine lubricated and
it's as good as new after many years.

I think I'm going to try a retractable rather than a canopy door then.
Is it a matter of greasing the spring once an year and oiling
everything else with 3 in 1?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are certainly far more stable in use, being supported at four points. I
would suggest also simpler and thus more reliable. I keep mine lubricated and
it's as good as new after many years.

I think I'm going to try a retractable rather than a canopy door then.
Is it a matter of greasing the spring once an year and oiling
everything else with 3 in 1?

Heavy grease or silicone spray.

I am not sure what a canopy door is..or whether I have one.

But mine gets no maintenance at all. Unless it sticks, when heavy grease
is liberally applied to anything that moves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are certainly far more stable in use, being supported at four points. I
would suggest also simpler and thus more reliable. I keep mine lubricated and
it's as good as new after many years.

I think I'm going to try a retractable rather than a canopy door then.
Is it a matter of greasing the spring once an year and oiling
everything else with 3 in 1?

You need to look carefully at what the manufacturer is offering and the
build quality.

Whether a door is retracting or canopy is not defined by the nature of
the mechanism. Both kinds can have arrangements of tracks, rods,
wires, pivots and springs or weights. Designs do vary quite a bit
and you can't assume that a retracting door always has a specific type
of mechanism any more than a canopy type.

The comparison of canopy vs. retracting really influences how far back
into the garage the door travels and the trajectory followed as it
opens and closes.

There are also sectional types such as Hoermann which run in tracks but
in a completely different way.

Apart from looking at manufacturer web sites and data sheets, it's a
good plan to try to visit a supplier of doors with a showroom having
several set up so that you can look even if you don't buy from them.

Don't forget to look at the finish of the door as well. There is a lot
of rubbish around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I am not sure what a canopy door is..or whether I have one.

"Up and Over" door which doesn't retract fully but projects from front
of the garage when fully open, the small amount still prjecting
providing a canopy over the opening
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I am not sure what a canopy door is..or whether I have one.

"Up and Over" door which doesn't retract fully but projects from front
of the garage when fully open, the small amount still prjecting
providing a canopy over the opening

Oh. That's what I have then.

It gets a nice strip of lichen that has to be scrubbed off every year.

Doesn't affect reliability of operation or longevity at all I would say,
just leads to a bit more door maintenance if you leave it open a lot.
Rain collects on it, sun blasts it. Not good for doors, especially wood.
Ours are galv steel I think.

Adjustments to Hormann Retractable Garage Door Gogs UK diy 4 May 21st 07 11:15 PM
Garage doors Kurt Ullman Home Repair 8 May 30th 06 12:33 PM
garage doors Snydley Home Repair 11 July 23rd 05 08:19 AM
New Garage Doors ClaudCar Home Repair 4 March 9th 05 01:02 AM
Garage Doors George Eberhardt Home Repair 19 February 22nd 05 08:27 AM