Steve

Default Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles

I'm concerned about the tiles I found under the carpet in the room which is
going to be our new kitchen. They've probably been there since the house was
built around 1955, and are practically impossible to get up. (We've had a
little success using a wallpaper scraper and a steamer, but its extremely
tedious, and could never be finished in time for the kitchen units being
fitted).
We are having floor tiles fitted, ceramic or porcelain, and I'm worried that
they won't bond well enough to the old tiles beneath. The builder says he
will roughen them up thoroughly, and use Polybond, which I believe is a
PVA-type adhesive, in the tile cement.
Does this method sound ok? Has anyone any experience or suggestions to
share?

Also, any opinions regarding printed ceramic tiles (cheaper), versus
porcelain tiles (nearly double the price, but harder wearing I hear).
Thanks!

Timbo

Hi Steve;

Tiles-on-tiles should be fine; the cement is self-levelling and "sticking"
shouldn't be a problem.

Ceramic tiles need more "looking after", but are extremely hard wearing -
mine have been down 20 years, and if I hadn't flooded them last year, would
still be in near-perfect nick.

Tim

Steve

"Timbo" wrote in message
Hi Steve;

Tiles-on-tiles should be fine; the cement is self-levelling and "sticking"
shouldn't be a problem.

Ceramic tiles need more "looking after", but are extremely hard wearing -
mine have been down 20 years, and if I hadn't flooded them last year,

would
still be in near-perfect nick.

Thanks Tim.
I'm concerned that tile cement won't adhere properly to the old tiles, which
are made of a flexible material, like vinyl. The builder assures me they
will be fine.

The ceramic tiles we are considering, are printed, then hard-glazed on top
of that. I wondered if the glaze wears off, with chairs being moved about,
and dirty boots etc. walking over them.

Timbo

Hi Steve;

If they've been hard glazed, then you should be okay. You "may" suffer
scratches in the glaze, though - depends on how many of your friends wear
steel heels. Our kitchen tiles are of that type, and while a few are cracked
(they are at least twenty years old and were laid too close together), they
are otherwise exactly as when they were first laid.

If only I could say the same of myself...........

(With apologies for lowering the tone yet again

Tim

dg

Although the existing tiles are flexible, they are not flexible whilst stuck
to the floor - hence they will not move.

If any existing loose ones are removed an an appropriate adhesive use, then
the result will be OK.

The glaze on the new tiles will take many many years of constant wear to
deteriorate. Its not really an issue.

dg