DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Silicone sealant: price range (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/226659-silicone-sealant-price-range.html)

[email protected][_2_] December 19th 07 01:33 PM

Silicone sealant: price range

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

Thanks
Mike

diy-newby December 19th 07 02:05 PM

wrote in message
How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

Thanks
Mike

You get what you pay for. For basin / bath you want one with anti-mould
properties.

Davy December 19th 07 02:45 PM

Silicone sealant: price range

My experience as a reasonably new house owner leads me to believe that the
trade use the cheapest. They don't care if it goes mouldy in a year and
crumbles in two. I have had to spend days digging out poor quality failing
silicone. So how would you value your time? - how much extra would you be
prepared to pay to avoid digging out and redoing the job in a couple of
years?

There seems to be two kinds of silicone - that which produces an acetic acid
smell and that which is water based. But I don't know which is best.

Davy

Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot December 19th 07 03:02 PM

wrote:
How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

I recently had to rainproof the edges of a lean-to and discovered that
Poundland sold tubes of various sealants. I got half a dozen tubes of black
gutter sealant for less than the price of one tube at B&Q and it's brilliant
stuff - went on easily, no stringing, set up a treat, stuck like wotsit to a
doodah.

Don't know if they had anything suitable for your job but it's worth a look.

Si

Andy Hall December 19th 07 03:20 PM

Silicone sealant: price range

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for. Early failure means having to re-do the
job plus the cost of a silicone remover product to it. It's a false
economy to buy unknown cheap rubbish.

Dow Corning have a wide variety of products all with detailed
specifications on their suitability. IME, they exceed the claimed
specs and lifetimes.

TheScullster December 19th 07 03:22 PM

Silicone sealant: price range

wrote

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

As others have said (or implied) you get what you pay for here possibly more
than most places.
Dow Corning 785 has its followers on this group and I am one of them.
Re-furbished bathroom in 2004, sealer shows no signs of deterioration or
discolouring let alone mould.
This is at the upper end of your price range - upto £7 if memory serves!
Worth ringing round though, ISTR getting the stuff for £3 not that long
ago - may have been mislabelled!!!
Check use by date before purchase - shelf life about a year.

However, to avoid mould you should also have good heating and ventilation,
particularly in this weather.

Phil

fred December 19th 07 09:47 PM

Silicone sealant: price range

In article 4769289e@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for. Early failure means having to re-do the
job plus the cost of a silicone remover product to it. It's a false
economy to buy unknown cheap rubbish.

Dow Corning have a wide variety of products all with detailed
specifications on their suitability. IME, they exceed the claimed
specs and lifetimes.

Excellent products they may be but IME Dow Corning don't give a damn for
the little man and make it very difficult for the average Joe to get a
sniff of their detailed specifications. When I was looking for detailed
info on Dow Corning Plumba Thread there was absolutely nothing
immediately available in the world on the web, I eventually got the info
over the phone from the exceptionally helpful UK rep. He admitted that
the corporate machine was more interested in servicing industry than
small business so I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

John Rumm December 19th 07 11:24 PM

wrote:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

Actually not an easy call. The top end products are usually ok, but the
screwfix own brand one is also pretty good and out performs many of the
mid price ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

The Medway Handyman December 20th 07 12:20 AM

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

Actually not an easy call. The top end products are usually ok, but
the screwfix own brand one is also pretty good and out performs many
of the mid price ones.

I've taken to using the Screwfix No Nonsense range - clear & white silicone,
sanitary silicone, solvent free & normal grab adhesive, gutter sealant,
glass cleaner. They all seem fine to me. The grab adhesives in particular
seem very good and the glass cleaner is outstandingly good.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Mark December 20th 07 11:54 AM

Silicone sealant: price range

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:22:57 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

However, to avoid mould you should also have good heating and ventilation,
particularly in this weather.

I find the same silicone is fine in the bathrooms but goes mouldy in
the kitchen. The temperature and ventilation are not a problem IMHO.

Explain that!

M.

Steve Firth December 20th 07 01:44 PM

Mark wrote:

I find the same silicone is fine in the bathrooms but goes mouldy in
the kitchen. The temperature and ventilation are not a problem IMHO.

Explain that!

Mould has the ability to metabolise acetate, and can thrive quite
happily on acetate as its sole source of food. Some silicones produce
acetic acid as they cure which gets trapped within the sealant, and
gives the mould all it needs in the way of energy.

Warm damp kitchen provides the right environment for growth, your
bathroom may be too cold (possibly).

Difficult to make any definitive statement, but using a neutral cure
sealant can help to avoid problems.

Man at B&Q December 20th 07 03:58 PM

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for.

But, as with most things, its not a linear, nor monotonic,
relationship. Increasing price doesn't mean higher quality at all data
points.

MBQ

Andy Hall December 20th 07 04:49 PM

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for.

But, as with most things, its not a linear, nor monotonic,
relationship. Increasing price doesn't mean higher quality at all data
points.

MBQ

The point was that the cost is not simply the purchase price of the
item, but the cost of replacing it and the additional time and
materials for doing so.

For that reason, I buy known good brands and products such as Dow
Corning where performance is good, known and predictable.

Discussing a £6 price difference is academic when all is taken into account.

Man at B&Q December 20th 07 04:53 PM

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for.

But, as with most things, its not a linear, nor monotonic,
relationship. Increasing price doesn't mean higher quality at all data
points.

MBQ

The point was that the cost is not simply the purchase price of the
item, but the cost of replacing it and the additional time and
materials for doing so.

It's implicit that any fair comparison will take those factors into
account. Once thay are accounted for, the point is that paying more
does not neccesarily equate to higher quality.

For that reason, I buy known good brands and products such as Dow
Corning where performance is good, known and predictable.

Discussing a £6 price difference is academic when all is taken into account.

Not neccessarily.

MBQ

Andy Hall December 20th 07 06:46 PM

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for.

But, as with most things, its not a linear, nor monotonic,
relationship. Increasing price doesn't mean higher quality at all data
points.

MBQ

The point was that the cost is not simply the purchase price of the
item, but the cost of replacing it and the additional time and
materials for doing so.

It's implicit that any fair comparison will take those factors into
account. Once thay are accounted for, the point is that paying more
does not neccesarily equate to higher quality.

It's very difficult to make an all factors considered comparison
between a known specification quality product and some unknown
"supergunk"

For example, if I want to know the specifications and application
information for Dow Corning 785, I can download a detailed data sheet
from their web site. If need be, I can call them and speak to a
technical person on the usability of the product

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio....aspx?R=1285EN

For a cheap, own-brand "supergunk" from Screwfix, I might be able to
get the MSDS, but that's about it.

Given that situation, how can one make a proper comparison? The
answer is that it isn't possible; so it becomes a matter of either
hoping that the cheap product will meet some requirement that isn't
stated on the label or simply paying very slightly more something known
to work properly because the manufacturer has taken the trouble to test
and to specify it.

For that reason, I buy known good brands and products such as Dow
Corning where performance is good, known and predictable.

Discussing a £6 price difference is academic when all is taken into acco

unt.

Not neccessarily.

Yes. Necessarily.

Mark December 21st 07 10:20 AM

Silicone sealant: price range

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:44:17 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Mark wrote:

I find the same silicone is fine in the bathrooms but goes mouldy in
the kitchen. The temperature and ventilation are not a problem IMHO.

Explain that!

Mould has the ability to metabolise acetate, and can thrive quite
happily on acetate as its sole source of food. Some silicones produce
acetic acid as they cure which gets trapped within the sealant, and
gives the mould all it needs in the way of energy.

Warm damp kitchen provides the right environment for growth, your
bathroom may be too cold (possibly).

Difficult to make any definitive statement, but using a neutral cure
sealant can help to avoid problems.

Like this?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63843/...ealants/Frame-
Sealants/Ceresit-7B-Low-Modulus-Silicone-Neutral-Cure-White

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/323u25

(It does not mention mould resistance.)

Steve Firth December 21st 07 02:35 PM

Mark wrote:

Difficult to make any definitive statement, but using a neutral cure
sealant can help to avoid problems.

Like this?

I was thinking more like this:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/b/BITFG8/

or this

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIRMSP/

and this is supposed to work well, despite being an acetoxy cure
adhesive:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIRSSS/