Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How's it done? No skirting boards

Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.

How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 20, 12:26 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.

How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.

Use battens and remove when plaster is set.

Then install flooring of a depth 10-15mm less than the battens were..

But why? Just seems like a huge dust trap to me, or is it "fashion" or
"design"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 12:24, Andrew May wrote:
wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.

How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.

It's called a shadow gap and with plastering it is achieved with a stop
bead which is a strip of expanded mesh (like the corner beads) but with
a lip. This is attached at the required height and then plastering is
done up to it. Don't know whether the effect can be achieved with
plasterboard.

Andrew

Thanks! It seems there's various types of bead out there including
plasterboard beads. http://www.renderplas.co.uk/downloads/POS-Brochure.pdf

Very interesting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But why? Just seems like a huge dust trap to me, or is it "fashion" or
"design"?

Cheap.

You do a good bird impression.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.
How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.
Use battens and remove when plaster is set.

Then install flooring of a depth 10-15mm less than the battens were..

But why? Just seems like a huge dust trap to me, or is it "fashion" or
"design"?

Cheap.

Not according to this:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/Design...on=View&ID=220

"In other words, if you don't think you can get them right, don't
attempt them in the first place. They can be so time consuming and
labour intensive that you may ask if they are worth the bother."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Was that skirting boards?

Getting THEM right is very hard. no paint on the walls or floor..

No, he's refering to stop beads to create a gap shadow
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 0614a6ce-9728-44bd-874f-822291319d52
@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com, says...
The plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.

Space for the fleas and silverfish to lurk in! I do think that's taking
green living a bit far.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.
How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.
Use battens and remove when plaster is set.

Then install flooring of a depth 10-15mm less than the battens were..

But why? Just seems like a huge dust trap to me, or is it "fashion" or
"design"?

Cheap.

Not according to this:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/Design...on=View&ID=220

What an annoying site. Full of ads that my ad blocker doesn't remove
and it keeps reloading the page.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark
writes

wrote:
Flicking through some of the various interior design mags and I see a
lot of nicely done new builds have no skirting boards at all. The
plaster seems to sit about 10-15mm off the floor and the line is
perfectly straight.
How is it done exactly? Seems a bit tricky to me to achieve with dot/
dab and skimming to get a perfectly straight edge with nothing to
plaster up to.
Use battens and remove when plaster is set.

Then install flooring of a depth 10-15mm less than the battens were..

But why? Just seems like a huge dust trap to me, or is it "fashion" or
"design"?

Cheap.

Not according to this:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/Design...on=View&ID=220

What an annoying site. Full of ads that my ad blocker doesn't remove
and it keeps reloading the page.

Seconded, I got bored with it and stopped all internet traffic while I
looked at the page, 5mins later it had tried to contact the google ads
server 150 times. Opera with automatic redirection disabled blocks most
difficult ads for me but it does dampen the browsing experience a
little.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Hollow skirting boards? Scott UK diy 22 December 31st 06 07:32 PM
Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 02:11 PM
New skirting boards Neil D. UK diy 2 January 3rd 06 08:47 PM
wiring behind skirting boards markzoom UK diy 101 April 3rd 05 12:14 PM
skirting boards andrewpreece UK diy 9 October 21st 04 12:05 PM