Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing a motor

I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would
think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much

of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would
think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.

I'll give these guys a try.

http://www.ask-rewinds-ltd.co.uk/

Anyone any idea of potential cost?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much

of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a

few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would
think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.

I'll give these guys a try.

http://www.ask-rewinds-ltd.co.uk/

Anyone any idea of potential cost?

Probably should add, it's about 5 amp, 0.6hp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

If it's a standard motor have a look on ebay. You'll probably get a new
one for less than the cost of a re-wind.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S explained on 20/12/2007 :
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much of
it and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would
think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.

I'll give these guys a try.

http://www.ask-rewinds-ltd.co.uk/

Anyone any idea of potential cost?

Probably should add, it's about 5 amp, 0.6hp.

Between £150 to £250 would be my guess. Much cheaper to find a second
hand replacement if it is a common size/spec..

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
I have a machine with an electric motor in it.

What type of electric motor?

We asked a bit too much of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely?

Does it smell

If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

I think you are prolly looking at a monitor

Any input appreciated.

You haven't really given enough info to make an educated reply

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much

of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would
think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.

I'll give these guys a try.

http://www.ask-rewinds-ltd.co.uk/

Anyone any idea of potential cost?

FFS - you haven't even given an idea of size

does it weigh a few hundred grams or half a ton ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too much

of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt after a
few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

Any input appreciated.

Rick

It would sound like the windings or bushings are burnt out - I would
think a re-windng company could tell you if it's the windings.

I'll give these guys a try.

http://www.ask-rewinds-ltd.co.uk/

Anyone any idea of potential cost?

FFS

Calm down dear.

does it weigh a few hundred grams or half a ton ?

It is 5.summat amp, 0.6 hp, approx 5 kilo.

It is made by Bodine and spins at approx 20,000rpm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S expressed precisely :
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

Are you absolutely sure of that speed?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
R D S expressed precisely :
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

no wonder the fukka burned out ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
I have a machine with an electric motor in it. We asked a bit too
much
of it
and during a job it laboured and ground to a halt.
Now when we start it up it spins slowly and grinds to a halt
after a few
seconds.
It can be turned manually with ease.

Has something likely burned out within?
Is a repair likely? If so am I looking at a rewinding company?

It is 5.summat amp, 0.6 hp, approx 5 kilo.

It is made by Bodine and spins at approx 20,000rpm.

So it's a "universal" motor, i.e. one with brushes and a commutator, or,
less likely, one fed from a variable frequency power supply.

What's the condition of the brushes and the commutator? Look for any
sign of one or more bars of the commutator having burn marks, or chunks
out of one edge, or being loose or missing. These are all bad news, and
point to an armature fault, but it could just be worn brushes.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
R D S expressed precisely :
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

That's approx. the speed a mains electric drill motor runs at. Or really
most AC/DC motors.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Dec, 08:55, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Harry Bloomfield wrote:

R D S expressed precisely :
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S
writes
On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds to me that it's most likely the brushes. Open the motor up and
check the condition of them, and the commutator (the brassy bit that
the brushes sit on). You should be able to buy brushes fairly easily
on-line by quoting the motor type/serial number. A motor of this size
will almost certainly be uneconomical to rewind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
R D S expressed precisely :
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S

writes

On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 21 Dec, 08:55, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

R D S expressed precisely :
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , R D S

writes

On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

******

I'll have a look, cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message

In message , R D S
writes

On 20 Dec, 15:49, "R D S" wrote:
[...]

Probably is worn brushes.

Burned out windings tend to just get very hot, and spin very slowly, if
at all.

Whereas poor brush contact means it runs..intermittently,and badly.