DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dado rail on stairs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/226655-dado-rail-stairs.html)

Peter[_2_] December 19th 07 12:26 PM

dado rail on stairs

I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

TIA
--
peter

Man at B&Q December 19th 07 12:49 PM

dado rail on stairs

On Dec 19, 11:26 am, Peter wrote:
I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

That's basically it. Just make sure you measure the angle for the
sawcut in the correct direction, depending which way you are holding
the workpiece. If in doubt, try it with scrap pieces first.

MBQ

Stuart Noble December 19th 07 01:55 PM

dado rail on stairs

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Dec 19, 11:26 am, Peter wrote:
I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

That's basically it. Just make sure you measure the angle for the
sawcut in the correct direction, depending which way you are holding
the workpiece. If in doubt, try it with scrap pieces first.

MBQ

Another way of looking at it is that halving the angle is the only way
the 2 cuts will be the same length.

TheScullster December 19th 07 03:29 PM

dado rail on stairs

"Peter" wrote

I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

Mark the rail location on the wall.
Stick two bits of card of rail-width on the wall so they cross at the
appropriate point.
Measure the angle between the card templates and bisect it.
Draw a line across the overlapped cards at this bisection angle.
Cut through both pieces of card with a sharp knife.
These ends will match the required angle of the dado rail.

Probably take less time to do than it did to write this

HTH

Phil

Man at B&Q December 19th 07 03:52 PM

dado rail on stairs

On Dec 19, 2:29 pm, "TheScullster" wrote:
"Peter" wrote

I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

Mark the rail location on the wall.
Stick two bits of card of rail-width on the wall so they cross at the
appropriate point.
Measure the angle between the card templates and bisect it.
Draw a line across the overlapped cards at this bisection angle.
Cut through both pieces of card with a sharp knife.
These ends will match the required angle of the dado rail.

Probably take less time to do than it did to write this

Especially as you don't need to mesasure or bisect anything.

Just draw the line across the overlapped cards between the two points
where the edges of the cards intersect.

MBQ

Peter[_2_] December 19th 07 06:42 PM

dado rail on stairs

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 06:52:46 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

[...]

Got it! Thanks very muich guys...

--
peter

fred December 19th 07 09:52 PM

dado rail on stairs

In article , Peter
writes
wrote:

[...]

You do realise that dado rails were originally intended to protect the
wall form chair backs . . . . , on stairs :-?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Harry Bloomfield December 19th 07 11:53 PM

dado rail on stairs

Peter expressed precisely :
I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

Do it the way I did it....

Hold the horizontal section in place on the wall and mark pencil lines
either side of it. Do the same with the bit which runs down the stair.
Where the lines intersect for each of the upper and lower pencil lines,
draw a line through them with a straight edge. Lay each piece back on
the wall in turn and transfer the line onto each piece and cut.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Roger Mills December 20th 07 11:56 AM

dado rail on stairs

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Peter expressed precisely :
I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

Do it the way I did it....

Hold the horizontal section in place on the wall and mark pencil lines
either side of it. Do the same with the bit which runs down the stair.
Where the lines intersect for each of the upper and lower pencil
lines, draw a line through them with a straight edge. Lay each piece
back on the wall in turn and transfer the line onto each piece and
cut.

Or, if using a mitre saw, work out the angle between the two sections and
halve it. For example, if the stair angle is 40 degrees, the included angle
will be (180 - 40) = 140, and you will need to set the saw at 70 degrees.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Mark December 20th 07 07:39 PM

dado rail on stairs

"Peter" wrote in message
I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

TIA
--
peter
--
Peter

I can't quite see how this will join up. The piece running parallel with the
stairs will be cut diagonally and the landing piece will be cut square. ie,
the first will have a compound mitre and the second a simple mitre.

mark

Skipweasel December 20th 07 08:06 PM

dado rail on stairs

In article ,
says...
I can't quite see how this will join up. The piece running parallel with the
stairs will be cut diagonally and the landing piece will be cut square. ie,
the first will have a compound mitre and the second a simple mitre.

Cut at an angle which bisects the angle at which the two pieces join.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.