Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Who can recommend a low-cost industrial endoscope for motor vehicle work?

The lowest price I've seen is around £250, which is rather a lot to
discover what is causing the irritating rattle (loose object; maybe a
biro pen) that is coming from underneath the dashboard on my Fiat
Punto. It's somewhere between the underside of the dash and the
heating ducts. I've tried peering up from underneath the dash, but
it's in some kind of void. (Removing a Punto dashboard is a MAJOR
task.)

The endoscope shaft has to be of small diameter, not the 8mm as used
to inspect cavity walls.

If not to buy, then to hire maybe?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Megabux. The smallest industrial ones I've used were about 6 mm, maybe the
surgeons have smaller. Can you get a view with a small webcam or bullet
camera? Go fishing with magnets on a string or a flexy stick? Dribble
gripfix in and hope it catches it? Expanding foam? Paint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:22:35 +0000, MM wrote:

The lowest price I've seen is around £250, which is rather a lot to
discover what is causing the irritating rattle (loose object; maybe a
biro pen) that is coming from underneath the dashboard on my Fiat
Punto. It's somewhere between the underside of the dash and the
heating ducts. I've tried peering up from underneath the dash, but
it's in some kind of void. (Removing a Punto dashboard is a MAJOR
task.)

The endoscope shaft has to be of small diameter, not the 8mm as used
to inspect cavity walls.

If not to buy, then to hire maybe?

Can't exactly help you with that except to observe that most rattles
I've had to address involved leaves drawn in and eventually becoming
dessicated, ending up behind heater vents on the dashboard.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:53:02 GMT, "John"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:22:08 +0000, Derek Geldard
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:22:35 +0000, MM wrote:

The lowest price I've seen is around £250, which is rather a lot to
discover what is causing the irritating rattle (loose object; maybe a
biro pen) that is coming from underneath the dashboard on my Fiat
Punto. It's somewhere between the underside of the dash and the
heating ducts. I've tried peering up from underneath the dash, but
it's in some kind of void. (Removing a Punto dashboard is a MAJOR
task.)

The endoscope shaft has to be of small diameter, not the 8mm as used
to inspect cavity walls.

If not to buy, then to hire maybe?

Can't exactly help you with that except to observe that most rattles
I've had to address involved leaves drawn in and eventually becoming
dessicated, ending up behind heater vents on the dashboard.

No, this is more solid than leaves. I've been listening to the darned
rattle for weeks, although I only drive locally nowadays for shopping,
so it's not a real sweat. But if I wanted to sell the car....? It
sounds like a pen, because when it rattles and slides around, it
sounds like it's got several flats, like a biro does. I'm blowed if I
know HOW anything could have got in, but whatever it is, I can't see
it yet.

MM

Did you hear about the guy on the Punto production line who lost a
pen............................?

Guy? Robots, if you please!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 17:22, MM wrote:
The lowest price I've seen is around £250,

Mil surplus. There's a lot around. try Anchor Surplus in Nottingham.
Short and rigid are cheap, and they'll still let you look through a
tiny hole. Flexible fibre optic bundles for illumination are cheap.
Fibre bundles that allow imaging are still expensive and only really
useful for surgery.

White LED torches make great replacements for the original light
source, and they're portable too.

My usual endoscope is 12" long, 4mm wide, sideways looking and cost
£20. I had to vacuum dry it for a while to get the condensation off
the mirror before it gave a good image.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:22:35 +0000, MM wrote:

irritating rattle (loose object; maybe a
biro pen) that is coming from underneath the dashboard on my Fiat
Punto.

Punto? Turn it upside down and give it a good shake until the object
falls out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:51:43 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:22:35 +0000, MM wrote:

irritating rattle (loose object; maybe a
biro pen) that is coming from underneath the dashboard on my Fiat
Punto.

Punto? Turn it upside down and give it a good shake until the object
falls out.

All the oil would run out! Petrol I'm not so worried about, since I
can't afford to put more than a pint in it.

MM

Making an endoscope n cook Electronics Repair 20 May 5th 07 10:30 PM
Industrial Sewing Machine motor brushes - Sandor Corp manf Margecam52 Electronics Repair 7 June 30th 06 01:35 PM
My dryer doesn't work. Is it the motor? Doug McLaren Home Repair 5 October 29th 05 02:58 PM
DIY endoscope, anyone? Lobster UK diy 6 June 28th 05 11:23 AM
diy fiber optic "endoscope-like" tool ! [email protected] UK diy 20 March 3rd 05 10:19 PM