Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing an Old Mira Shower

Hi all,
Can anyone help here.
My house is around 20 years old. I have a Mira 88 shower installed
which is tiled over - that I assume came with the house - I bought the
house 5 years ago. The shower, I believe, is a manual.
The shower has stopped working altogether. I've been told to get 'the
same shower unit' by a plumber and when I search Google they have the
newer Mira 88 Gem. Would this model be the same design as my Mira 88
(which I assume is from the mid 1980s)?
Also, how much would/ should it cost to replace this shower unit
(remembering it is tiled over)? I've just had a new combination boiler
put in with radiators - should I switch to another shower altogether.

Please note I am very new to showers and plumbing and would appreciate
if jargon and terminology is kept to a minimum.
Thank you v much for your response - this ng really is a lifesaver!

TH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tyler" wrote in message
[...]

Parts are available:

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/mira/mira88_diagram.htm

I have a Mira 415 and I also fitted one at another house. I believe the 415
is recommended for use with Combi boilers - but I guess there are others.

If it is embedded in the wall then you need to consider the spacing of the
pipes and the depth of the pipes relative to the surface of the tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tyler wrote:

Can anyone help here.
My house is around 20 years old. I have a Mira 88 shower installed
which is tiled over - that I assume came with the house - I bought the
house 5 years ago. The shower, I believe, is a manual.
The shower has stopped working altogether. I've been told to get 'the
same shower unit' by a plumber and when I search Google they have the
newer Mira 88 Gem. Would this model be the same design as my Mira 88
(which I assume is from the mid 1980s)?
Also, how much would/ should it cost to replace this shower unit
(remembering it is tiled over)? I've just had a new combination boiler
put in with radiators - should I switch to another shower altogether.

I changed an old shower mixer 2 weeks ago, and it was a real PITA.
You dont say how yours is fitted - are the feed pipes showing, or is it
all enclosed in the wall?
From the diagram he
http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-sp...ra/mira-88.htm

It looks like yours is a semi-enclosed type, where the feed pipes are
enclosed behind the wall, with the mixer fully in view.
Is that correct?
If so, then you need to measure the centre line between the feed pipes.
150mm is fairly standard, and then you can buy another similar one with
the same size feed pipe centres.
If that is right, then it shouldnt be too much of a problem fitting a
new one. Screwfix do a mixer at £50, and there are loads on ebay at less
than £50 - half price compared to shops, the one I fitted cost me £80,
yet the same was on ebay at £22.50 delivered.
Post a pic of your current set up, including close ups of the fittings,
and a better idea can be given of what you require.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From the diagram hehttp://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-sp...ra/mira-88.htm

It looks like yours is a semi-enclosed type, where the feed pipes are
enclosed behind the wall, with the mixer fully in view.
Is that correct?
If so, then you need to measure the centre line between the feed pipes.
150mm is fairly standard, and then you can buy another similar one with
the same size feed pipe centres.
If that is right, then it shouldnt be too much of a problem fitting a
new one. Screwfix do a mixer at £50, and there are loads on ebay at less
than £50 - half price compared to shops, the one I fitted cost me £80,
yet the same was on ebay at £22.50 delivered.
Post a pic of your current set up, including close ups of the fittings,
and a better idea can be given of what you require.
Alan.

Thank you - I shall post a pic when I can. Yes I think the mixer is
fully in view - at least a large circular ring which is turned. I'm
not much the DIY type and have the plumber back in tomorrow.

Removing Mira Shower Forestfan UK diy 4 August 20th 07 05:28 PM
Combi and Mira 415 Shower john UK diy 1 November 9th 05 09:56 PM
Mira 415 Shower Steve7474 UK diy 7 September 22nd 05 07:33 PM
Mira Excel Shower Poolie Home Repair 1 April 19th 05 01:01 AM
Mira Shower Query Rakster UK diy 1 May 26th 04 03:05 PM