Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to test satellite dish connection

I recently moved to a new house that already had a satellite dish
installed, so I bought a refurbished set top box to pick up the free
channels.
When I set it up, the set top box reported no satellite signal.

Is there a way of testing whether the connection to the dish from the
wall socket is OK using a multimeter?
I know that the dish may need to be adjusted to point in the right
direction, but first of all I just want to know if the dish / co-axial
connections are all OK.

Many thanks,
Rick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 12:32 pm, wrote:
I recently moved to a new house that already had a satellite dish
installed, so I bought a refurbished set top box to pick up the free
channels.
When I set it up, the set top box reported no satellite signal.

Is there a way of testing whether the connection to the dish from the
wall socket is OK using a multimeter?
I know that the dish may need to be adjusted to point in the right
direction, but first of all I just want to know if the dish / co-axial
connections are all OK.

Many thanks,
Rick

I often get al ittle spark when connecting the cable to the STB. If
the dish is poiting at the wrong satellite then the STB should be able
to show that it's receving some signal and often it'll tell you which
satelite it's looking at.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I recently moved to a new house that already had a satellite dish
installed, so I bought a refurbished set top box to pick up the free
channels.
When I set it up, the set top box reported no satellite signal.

Is there a way of testing whether the connection to the dish from the
wall socket is OK using a multimeter?
I know that the dish may need to be adjusted to point in the right
direction, but first of all I just want to know if the dish / co-axial
connections are all OK.

Many thanks,
Rick

Yes indeed, a ploy I have used in the past, all it proves is there is
something “electronic”
at the other end of the cable, and there is an unbroken connection to it

What you need is a multimeter with a “diode test” range, usually a symbol
like this
--|--
connect the leads to the inner and outer of the co-ax, then reverse the
leads and
measure again. The two readings will be completely different if there is an
LNB
at the other end.
You can’t do this with a *digital* meter if it only has resistance ranges,
however
you can do it with a traditional moving coil (analogue) meter on resistance
because they supply sufficient voltage and current to forward-bias a silicon
junction.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Make sure that you are getting a DC voltage on the cable coming from the
set top box , this is used to power the LNB and switch polarities etc.
It can be switched on/off in the box and I believe will switch off on
overload.
Go to installer menu ie Services - System test then 0 1,select ( you
will not get anything until after you have pressed the select -this gets
you to hidden installers menu)
LNB setup - Power ON
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did the diode test on the coax socket in the wall - one way gave a
zero reading and the other way a positive value.

I also confirmed I was getting DC voltage on the cable coming from the
set top box.

The LNB setup menu still said no satellite signal.

I know for a fact that the dish was secured to a fixed position by a
workman when he noticed it was swinging about just after moving in. I
guess there is a very high chance that the dish is no longer pointing
in the right direction.

Where would I go from here? I've heard about dish meters that help you
align the dish, but is it something that someone with moderate DIY
skills can do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Where would I go from here? I've heard about dish meters that help you
align the dish, but is it something that someone with moderate DIY
skills can do?

Check it looks like it's pointing in the same direction as neighbours'
ones? That worked for my first time installation - but I have easy access
to mine and it is a 1 mtr dish. My kit also included a finder - which
plugs between dish and receiver and bleeps as the signal gets stronger.
Once you find the vague correct direction.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did the diode test on the coax socket in the wall - one way gave a
zero reading and the other way a positive value.

I also confirmed I was getting DC voltage on the cable coming from the
set top box.

The LNB setup menu still said no satellite signal.

I know for a fact that the dish was secured to a fixed position by a
workman when he noticed it was swinging about just after moving in. I
guess there is a very high chance that the dish is no longer pointing
in the right direction.

Where would I go from here? I've heard about dish meters that help you
align the dish, but is it something that someone with moderate DIY
skills can do?

If what you say about the workman is true, then
I would say there is zero chance that it is pointing the right way.

If we assume for the time being that the dish wasn't disturbed
in its up and down (elevation adjustment), and only the sideways
(azimuth) setting was disturbed, than that makes your task a
whole lot easier.
Is it just a Sky setup?
Is it possible to position a TV so you can see the screen while
you adjust the dish? It is quite possible to do this using only
the signal test facility on the Digibox, you need to swing the
dish a very small amount then wait 5 seconds for a response
from the dish (it's not instant) then swing it a bit more etc.
What you are initially looking for is the signal lock to indicator
to change to "OK" then make a fine adjustment for maximum
signal quality.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Buying/borrowing a cheap satellite strength meter with just tone output
is probably worth it.
The dish should be approx vertical, dont angle it up, look where the
other dishes are pointing and start from the east when moving the dish.
When you do get a signal and the Test signal says it is locked make sure
the menu shows it is "D2" and not "D1" ( wrong satellite to far west)
Final adjustment should be for maximum Quality.
Good Luck

Satellite dish - silicone? Harry K Home Repair 13 February 5th 06 08:04 AM
satellite dish JAT Electronics Repair 3 August 24th 05 01:55 AM
Can I use a satellite dish as an antenna? [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 30th 05 04:42 PM
Looking for an affordable Satellite Dish??? jer Home Ownership 1 January 22nd 05 02:11 AM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 02:46 AM