Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rearranging Heating In Living Room.

I live in a tenement flat with other flats above ,below and on two
sides . The living room is 3.7m x 5.5 m and 3.3 m (High)
and the present heating arrangements are two rads ,one ( RAD1) on the
wall opposite the windows and one (RAD2) on the wall to one side of
the windows .There is also a gas fire on the other side wall. The rads
are 600 x 1200 mm .
Having the fire stops me using this wall for siting furniture against
it and the rad on the wall opposite the window stops me doing the
same there .
What i was thinking of doing was either remove the fire and move this
last rad to the other end of the wall that already has a rad on it
(Shown As RAD3) . The alternative is to still shift the rad but keep
the fire where it is . I find that using the rads without using the
fire is OK.though.
Here is a rough sketch of the layout
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...om/lroom01.jpg

Any thoughts .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov, 21:51, Stuart B wrote:
I live in a tenement flat with other flats above ,below and on two
sides . The living room is 3.7m x 5.5 m and 3.3 m (High)
and the present heating arrangements are two rads ,one ( RAD1) on the
wall opposite the windows and one (RAD2) on the wall to one side of
the windows .There is also a gas fire on the other side wall. The rads
are 600 x 1200 mm .
Having the fire stops me using this wall for siting furniture against
it and the rad on the wall opposite the window stops me doing the
same there .
What i was thinking of doing was either remove the fire and move this
last rad to the other end of the wall that already has a rad on it
(Shown As RAD3) . The alternative is to still shift the rad but keep
the fire where it is . I find that using the rads without using the
fire is OK.though.
Here is a rough sketch of the layouthttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/molley/Living%20Room/lroom01.jpg

Any thoughts .

Stuart

Another idea for your consideration: does the window go all the way to
the floor? If not you could put a long low rad under the window, which
I guess is a wall that is already out of bounds for furniture. This
has the added advantage of avoiding cold spots near the window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:04:31 -0800 (PST), Martin Pentreath
wrote:

On 30 Nov, 21:51, Stuart B wrote:
[...]

I did actually consider that .The windows stop about 2 feet from the
floor ...The only problems are that obviously it means more floorboard
lifting ,altho' that is not an insurmountable problem but also the
curtains are full length as that suits this type of flat with the high
ceilings ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote in message
[...]

From one I did earlier I reckon you need about 2600W assuming limited losses
to neighbouring occupied properties. That's a 2000x400 double panel rad
under the window or a 1300x700 double panel rad at Rad2. Curtains v. good
design is up to you, well maybe not entirely. IMHO the other rad
positions just result in an unpleasant temperature gradient across the room.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:33:42 GMT, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

Stuart B wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From one I did earlier I reckon you need about 2600W assuming limited losses
to neighbouring occupied properties. That's a 2000x400 double panel rad
under the window or a 1300x700 double panel rad at Rad2. Curtains v. good
design is up to you, well maybe not entirely. IMHO the other rad
positions just result in an unpleasant temperature gradient across the room.

Jim A

So are you suggesting just using the ONE rad in either of the 2
positions and no fire ?
Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart B wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:33:42 GMT, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

Stuart B wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From one I did earlier I reckon you need about 2600W assuming limited
losses
to neighbouring occupied properties. That's a 2000x400 double panel rad
under the window or a 1300x700 double panel rad at Rad2. Curtains v.
good
design is up to you, well maybe not entirely. IMHO the other rad
positions just result in an unpleasant temperature gradient across the
room.

Jim A

So are you suggesting just using the ONE rad in either of the 2
positions

Yes, and preferably under the window. You need to do your own checks
regarding required output. A request here or a Google search will pull up
some radiator sizing programs.

and no fire ?

Didn't include the fire in the heat output. It's your choice to keep or not
but most developers would keep a fireplace in a living room as a feature or
source or radiant heat or both.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:33:59 GMT, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Stuart B wrote in message
[...]

From one I did earlier I reckon you need about 2600W assuming limited
losses
[...]

Thx Jim .
My thinking behind getting shot of the fire is to give me more wall
room as it sits bang in the middle of one long wall and it causes
problems with siting couches etc . That's also why I want to move Rad
1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart B
?@?.? writes
[...]

The room I am sitting in has almost exactly the same layout and
dimensions. I have 1 x 1200x450 p+ at your rad 2 posn and another the
same size diagonally opposite in the corner on the same wall as the
fire. The loss from the window is compensated for by a small (1000x300)
single convector in the middle under the windows.

I think these large tenement rooms do need multiple sources of heat and
the diagonal split is probably the best for circulation but your rad 2 +
rad 3 setup would be a close second. The wall close to the walk-in
cupboard is be dead space anyway so placing a rad there would be
'cheap'. The small rad under the window improves the comfort level close
to the windows and the low set TRV there stops it becoming superheated
behind the curtains when they are drawn. I wouldn't be a fan of putting
a main heat source directly under the windows.

My preference is not to have rads right by the door as I think it makes
them more obtrusive and you probably want those rads to heat the room
rather than the hall.

My fire hasn't been on since I installed the heating.

Good luck.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:21:08 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Stuart B
?@?.? writes
[...]

Thx Fred. That's given me more things to consider .My reason for
moving the RAD1 ia that a 2 seater couch I have fits that space
exactly but no good when the Rad is still there . Similarly my reason
for moving the fire is to free up that wall as well

Sunken living room cln Home Repair 8 September 11th 07 02:53 PM
Four dead spotlights in living room [email protected] UK diy 4 July 30th 07 03:58 PM
HELP LIVING ROOM NEEDS TO BE A BEDROOM!!!! [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 7th 07 06:35 PM
Adding a 2nd Radiator in the Living Room Kevin UK diy 1 June 2nd 06 12:08 AM
So, how many sockets in a living room? Jeff Sheard UK diy 54 February 21st 05 10:02 PM