David

Default 'Pinning back the brickwork' - valuer's report

Just has a valuation done on a property we're buying, and it says:

"Slight bulging of brickwork was noted above the kitchen window frame.
Whilst the movement is considered to be historic, pinning back the
brickwork should be undertaken"

I can't remember seeing this when we viewed the property, and can't
make it out on the plethora of digi-photos we took as we went round
(which is a Really Useful buyer's tip by the way!! - ). Doesn't sound
too awful, but what's involved in 'pinning back' as the guy
recommends? DIY-able? The loan is not dependent on it. Not sure
what the wall structure is but the house is a circa 1900 mid-terrace.

Would it just involve hacking out the damaged area and replacing it?

(I'm sure there will be plenty more posts from this direction once we
take possession, as there's a lot to do!)

Thanks
David
dg

The surveyor is doing a bit of arse covering.

Bulging of brickwork is not a problem, it is a symptom of something else.

Three likely causes are historic movement (early movement when built) and
not likely to continue, a problem with the lintol or window frame support,
or corroded wall ties.

You really want a proper diagnosis from your surveyor (especially if you
paid for a survey), on what the cause was. Telling you something that is
plainly obvious to see is not really professional advice.

If the wall is just bulging, then it could probably be left alone. However
any excesive cracks should be repointed.
Otherwise you can remove and replace the wall section, or use stainless
helical ties to bond it to the intenal wall (if cavity) without removing the
wall section - but only if further movement is expected.

dg

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Andy Hall

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:02:14 +0100, "dg"
wrote:

Just noticed that it was a valuers report, so the surveyor is likely to have
even less of a clue.

dg

.... or more to the point, not enough a fee that the surveyor will
commit himself.
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl