Membrane for shed floor?

Old November 28th 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Membrane for shed floor?

Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.
Old November 28th 07, 05:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.

Definitely.

Never make things damper than they need to be.
Old November 28th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 15:13, Broadback wrote:
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.

You don't tell us how big a shed and what you're going to use it for,
and also what the subsoil is like.

Apart from the cost of the membrane material, peanuts in relation to
the whole package, the only work required is to blind the surface the
concrete is going to go onto. Unless this is a huge shed for cows or
the likes, then I can't see what the problem is.

Get on with and don't be a mean lazy git. :)

Rob
Old November 28th 07, 07:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote :
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a concrete
base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual shed floor.

I would suggest yes, but you also need to consider how you intend
shedding the rain which might run down the outside walls and then track
into the shed along the concrete base.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old November 28th 07, 08:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback wrote :
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.

I would suggest yes, but you also need to consider how you intend
shedding the rain which might run down the outside walls and then track
into the shed along the concrete base.

Thanks for all the tips, a membrane it is then. The manufacturers
recommend sealing the base to shed with mastic to stop ingress of water
from the outside walls. Also the base will be about 10cm longer and
wider than the shed, I will also have gravel around the base as a way of
draining the water. It will be used mainly for storing garden machinery.
Old November 28th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback wrote :
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.

I would suggest yes, but you also need to consider how you intend
shedding the rain which might run down the outside walls and then
track into the shed along the concrete base.

Thanks for all the tips, a membrane it is then. The manufacturers
recommend sealing the base to shed with mastic to stop ingress of
water from the outside walls. Also the base will be about 10cm longer
and wider than the shed,

If rain is falling on the external concrete, it will still soak through the
concrete mass and dampen the whole slab. You might wish to either add a
waterproofing additive to the concrete mix, or else saturate the external
apron with Thompsons WaterSeal or similar.

Old November 29th 07, 01:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback wrote :
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.
I would suggest yes, but you also need to consider how you intend
shedding the rain which might run down the outside walls and then
track into the shed along the concrete base.

Thanks for all the tips, a membrane it is then. The manufacturers
recommend sealing the base to shed with mastic to stop ingress of
water from the outside walls. Also the base will be about 10cm longer
and wider than the shed,

If rain is falling on the external concrete, it will still soak through the
concrete mass and dampen the whole slab. You might wish to either add a
waterproofing additive to the concrete mix, or else saturate the external
apron with Thompsons WaterSeal or similar.

Concrete - as opposed to screed - is relatively waterproof.

It will dry out as fast as it gets in probably.

Old November 29th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Nov, 19:22, Broadback wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback wrote :
Is it worthwhile installing a damp proof membrane when I build a
concrete base for a metal shed? The concrete base will be the actual
shed floor.

I would suggest yes, but you also need to consider how you intend
shedding the rain which might run down the outside walls and then track
into the shed along the concrete base.

Thanks for all the tips, a membrane it is then. The manufacturers
recommend sealing the base to shed with mastic to stop ingress of water
from the outside walls. Also the base will be about 10cm longer and
wider than the shed, I will also have gravel around the base as a way of
draining the water. It will be used mainly for storing garden machinery.

I've always avoided this problem by building a dense concrete block
wall a block or two high, pouring the concrete inside it (with dpm)
and then sitting the shed on the wall with a dpm and suitable drip
arrangements. A bit more work but it avoids the problems the OP is
finding and gives a floor that is guaranteed to be dry. It also saves
me the hassle of trying to arrange shuttering for the concrete pad.

Rob