Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing large amounts of earth

I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking
at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Carroll
writes
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking
at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Watch "The Great Escape"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 20:27, Owain wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.
I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.
At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

If it's reasonably clean soil then "topsoil for sale" or "landscaping
material for sale" might actually make you a profit. The secret is to
find someone with an 'ole what needs filled.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking
at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.
Any suggestions welcome.

Dig a hole and bury it:-)

Owain

Topsoil costs £100 a cu metre in Homebase. It's cheaper in bulk (not
from homebase), maybe as low as £10 / cu metre for 10+ cu m (in
Cambridge area)

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Carroll
writes
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level
the rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the
cheapest way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the
question at £115 a go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am
looking at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Watch "The Great Escape"

You're going to need a very large vaulting horse & extreemly baggy trousers
for 50m3.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 19:06, Martin Carroll wrote:
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking
at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Grab lorry at 20 tonnes* and about £200 each. They're so big they can
actually sort of dig to some extent too.
* 20 tonnes or 20 square yards or 20 square metres depending on who
you talk to.

Or one of those giant skips.that's as big a big truck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 21:20, adder1969 wrote:
[...]

Or one of those giant skips.that's as big a big truck.- Hide quoted text -

I forgot, or hire a truck and take it to a waste site yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
RobertL writes
On 20 Nov, 20:27, Owain wrote:
Martin Carroll wrote:
[...]

I put a couple of cubic metres out the front with the sign "free to a
good home" on it

It was still there two months later

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the
cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115
go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking
at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Ask the digger driver, or his employer. If you can, get one contract
"excavate and cart away" - then it's someone else's problem if either
the digger or the lorry breaks down. Otherwise there's scope for
endless rows about waiting time. Discuss with your chosen contractor
whether you'll be able to segregate the loads, so some will be just
resellable soil. If there's any tarmac at all, either don't admit it,
and make sure it's at the bottom of the lorry-load of concrete, or
(better) skip it separately. They charge more if there's tarmac in the
load.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-20 20:56:40 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Martin Carroll
writes
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am looking
at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Watch "The Great Escape"

That's all very well, but how are you going to make large lumps of clay
drop neatly down your trouser legs without people thinking that there
is something unfortunate happening?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-20 21:08:42 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Carroll
writes
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level
the rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the
cheapest way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the
question at £115 a go.

I will be hiring a digger to do the levelling and I guess I am
looking at pretty big pile of earth to be moved.

Any suggestions welcome.

Watch "The Great Escape"

You're going to need a very large vaulting horse & extreemly baggy trousers
for 50m3.

Listen. If you can turn carrots into fluffy white rabbits, this is a
mere bagatelle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 474359c3@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2007-11-20 21:08:42 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Carroll
writes
[...]

Yeah, and if David Blane or whoever it was managed to magic away the
statue of liberty and the great wall of china, surely a few spadefulls
of soil shouldn't be too difficult for you
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 4743598d@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

Can't you arrange it so that you can use the spoil from high bits to raise
low bits? Not only do you not have the problem of removal, you also only
need to move about half as much earth..

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , nightjar
writes

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

Can't you arrange it so that you can use the spoil from high bits to raise
low bits? Not only do you not have the problem of removal, you also only
need to move about half as much earth..

By level, I mean reduce! So there are no low bits.

--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at ?115 a

Take all the soil.
Put it in 25Kg bags.
In one of these bags place 200 pounds.
Advertise this fact, and offer the bags free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
In article , nightjar
writes

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at £115 a
go.

Can't you arrange it so that you can use the spoil from high bits to raise
low bits? Not only do you not have the problem of removal, you also only
need to move about half as much earth..

By level, I mean reduce! So there are no low bits.

What I meant was, can't you change the design so that the finished height is
different, meaning that there would be low bits to fill in?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
geoff wrote:
I put a couple of cubic metres out the front with the sign "free to a
good home" on it
It was still there two months later

Well duh, you should have put some security fencing round it. Then some
fick pikeys would have thought it was worth something and nicked it.

Yeah, never thought of that psychological approach

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Stirling
writes
Martin Carroll wrote:
I have had the plans passed on the renovation project and one of the
first tasks will be to level the site.

I am putting a two storey side extension up and also need to level the
rest of the width of the plot for car parking purposes.

At a very rough estimate I will have to remove something like 50m3 of
soil (and some stone/concrete etc.) and was wondering what the cheapest
way of doing this is. Standard Skips are out of the question at ?115 a

Take all the soil.
Put it in 25Kg bags.
In one of these bags place 200 pounds.
Advertise this fact, and offer the bags free.

And end up with a big pile of earth out the front ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like a 8 wheeler grab lorry is the answer at the mo. I have been
quoted 200 + VAT per load (18.5 tons).

I am pursuing another option which might turn out a bit cheaper!

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Topsoil costs £100 a cu metre in Homebase. It's cheaper in bulk (not
from homebase), maybe as low as £10 / cu metre for 10+ cu m (in
Cambridge area)

Dirt cheap then!

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 24, 10:16 am, Martin Carroll wrote:
Looks like a 8 wheeler grab lorry is the answer at the mo. I have been
quoted 200 + VAT per load (18.5 tons).

I am pursuing another option which might turn out a bit cheaper!

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Around my way (South Herts) is 190 plus VAT but of course when it's
cash they always forget to add the VAT element. The most expensive
part of landscaping my small yard was/is the cost of taking the soil
away.