Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a door fitted with a door closer

I need to remove a couple of (internal) doors in a flat in order
to take a bit off the bottom to clear a newly fitted carpet. The doors
have door closers fitted - the type with a "bicycle type" chain
running between and through two plates, one in the door and one
in the frame on the hinge side. Last time I did this I had a real struggle
getting the closer plates back in position against the pull of the spring.

Any advice on the best way of tackling this?

Thanks, David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

you need to lock of the chain,a clip is normaly provided or use a small mole
grips

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

DavidM wrote:
I need to remove a couple of (internal) doors in a flat in order
to take a bit off the bottom to clear a newly fitted carpet. The doors
have door closers fitted - the type with a "bicycle type" chain
running between and through two plates, one in the door and one
in the frame on the hinge side. Last time I did this I had a real struggle
getting the closer plates back in position against the pull of the spring.

Any advice on the best way of tackling this?

a mole wrench. Or better still don't refit the pesky things.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:
I need to remove a couple of (internal) doors in a flat in order
to take a bit off the bottom to clear a newly fitted carpet. The doors
have door closers fitted - the type with a "bicycle type" chain
running between and through two plates, one in the door and one
in the frame on the hinge side. Last time I did this I had a real
struggle getting the closer plates back in position against the pull
of the spring.
Any advice on the best way of tackling this?

I hate these bloody things. They remind me of Arkwrights till on Open All
Hours. Just waiting to mangle your fingers.

Open the door as much as possible so the spring is at full extension & slip
a nail or similar through the links of the chain where it enters the door.
Close the door slightly & the tension should be gone.

Don't be tempted to remove it or leave it unconnected - they are there for
fire safety reasons.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Don't be tempted to remove it or leave it unconnected - they are there for
fire safety reasons.

But building regs have changed so they are no longer required. Probably
because a door propped open most of the time is more of a fire risk than
a door that stays where it is put. If a closer is really required fit a
proper one.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidM" wrote in message
I need to remove a couple of (internal) doors in a flat in order
to take a bit off the bottom to clear a newly fitted carpet. The doors
have door closers fitted - the type with a "bicycle type" chain
running between and through two plates, one in the door and one
in the frame on the hinge side. Last time I did this I had a real struggle
getting the closer plates back in position against the pull of the spring.

Any advice on the best way of tackling this?

Thanks, David.

Thanks to all for the tips, but I'm still going to put some sticking
plasters
in my toolbox next time!
David.

Which door closer? Wally UK diy 3 June 5th 07 10:00 PM
door closer that WORKS? Nate Nagel Home Repair 5 May 2nd 07 01:58 AM
Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 11:14 AM
Door closer noise JoeJoe UK diy 15 June 18th 05 05:36 PM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 11:58 AM