Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waste run off from slimline (4mm) shower tray?

Hi All,

We will be having a new slimline shower tray installed and have heard
that they dont drain very quickly as they are so shallow. We have
bought this so pls don't tell me to not buy it!

My query is whether it would make any difference to the drainage speed
if the waste pipe has as few pipe joins as possible? The pipe cd go
straight out to a drain but it will look rather unslightly on front of
house. Otherwise, it could run into a different drain but means about
3 pipe joins at different angles but plumber thinks more joins means
it might drain slower (or is he just keener on simpler job?!).

Thanks
Vx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rebecca wrote:
Hi All,

We will be having a new slimline shower tray installed and have heard
that they dont drain very quickly as they are so shallow. We have
bought this so pls don't tell me to not buy it!

My query is whether it would make any difference to the drainage speed
if the waste pipe has as few pipe joins as possible? The pipe cd go
straight out to a drain but it will look rather unslightly on front of
house. Otherwise, it could run into a different drain but means about
3 pipe joins at different angles but plumber thinks more joins means
it might drain slower (or is he just keener on simpler job?!).

Yes - it's not joins per se, but the corners which the water will have
to go round which will certainly slow down the flow.

Not entirely sure what this slimline tray is all about, but the real
issue is the gradient on the drainpipe as it runs away from the shower tray.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 18:43, Rebecca wrote:
Hi All,

We will be having a new slimline shower tray installed and have heard
that they dont drain very quickly as they are so shallow. We have
bought this so pls don't tell me to not buy it!

My query is whether it would make any difference to the drainage speed
if the waste pipe has as few pipe joins as possible? The pipe cd go
straight out to a drain but it will look rather unslightly on front of
house. Otherwise, it could run into a different drain but means about
3 pipe joins at different angles but plumber thinks more joins means
it might drain slower (or is he just keener on simpler job?!).

Thanks
Vx

As far as I can tell the slimline-ness of the shower tray will only
effect the rate at which the water drains from the tray to the
outlet. The gradient and routing of the waste pipe will effect the
flow rate of the water in the pipe. Of course when fitting a
slimeline tray you often have less opportunity to get a good gradient
on the pipe which is where poorly installed drainage fails.
The building regs, which are available online, give acceptable minimum
and maximum gradients for the drain pipe and IIRC also include details
of how to account for bends. If you stick to the rules it should work
well.

We have a very shallow slimeline shower tray and I have to say it
works perfectly. It is designed for use with powerful showers though
and includes a high flow trap and 50mm outlet pipe - so maybe not your
average tray. There was no way I could get the required gradients
while keeping the waste pipe above the floor joist so the compromise I
made was to go through the ceiling/floor void and run a 1.5m section
boxed in at the ceiling height of the room below. The waste run is
maybe 2m long with 2 bends.

shower tray jacob UK diy 3 February 23rd 05 08:27 PM
shower tray andyd UK diy 0 August 18th 04 10:53 AM
Shower tray SH UK diy 1 May 10th 04 12:10 AM
Shower Tray Help jon UK diy 8 January 23rd 04 04:54 AM
Routing waste pipe past shower tray Mike Barnes UK diy 5 September 4th 03 02:12 PM