Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Searching for a new boiler: Viessmann OK?

I need a new boiler.

Gotta be condensing nowadays, no choice on that. Don't want to change
from my current conventional open vent system. Current sizing of 18kW
is OK.

After reading the new boiler FAQ, reading through specs and so on...
the shortlist was down to Viessmann Vitodens 100 and Vaillant ecoTEC
Plus 418.

I am currently leaning on Viessmann due to smaller size and perceived
better build due to its 10 yrs heat exchanger warrany. I say perceived
because maybe all heat exchanger lasts this long anyway!

However, I realized that the Viessmann seems to be less "popular" than
Vaillant (which in turn is of course less popular than Baxi or
Worcester-Bosch.. but I digress).

In fact as listed on Viessmann.co.uk I can't find "installers" listed
in my area, although I'm sure in general most CORGI engineers will be
able to fit it just fine.

So, as a final sanity check, whatddya all think, do I opt for more
"pop" and go for the Vaillant or stick to my guns and specify
Viessmann to my local friendly installers?

--
Perry Ismangil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ismangil" wrote in message
[...]

Only you can decide that. You have reduced to a short list of two so
inevitably its a close call technically. The boiler discount prices are
similar. BTW the Viessmann "10 yr heat exchanger warranty" like most
warranties is a "10 yr warranty (conditions apply)" warranty. The
conditions probably affect the costings.

Get some quotes for both and revist the question.

An unasked question is what is what is the ongoing cost of your maintenance
strategy?

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:41:03 -0800, ismangil wrote:

[...]

Frankly the heat exchanger is the least likely component to go wrong on a
condensing boiler. In both cases they are stainless steel. The _boiler_
could probably handle dilute hydrochloric acid as a primary working fluid.

I've been tempted to install a Viessmann a couple of times and have quoted
it as an option. The local "cash & carry" boiler merchant stocks Keston,
Baxi, Biasi and Vaillant. The shop at the bottom of the road can get me
most boilers by noon next day. With the smaller makes spares availability
could be an issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 6:19 pm, Ed Sirett wrote:
Frankly the heat exchanger is the least likely component to go wrong on a
condensing boiler. In both cases they are stainless steel. The _boiler_
could probably handle dilute hydrochloric acid as a primary working fluid.

Ed thanks for the reply, your Choosing a Boiler FAQ did educate me so
much.

most boilers by noon next day. With the smaller makes spares availability
could be an issue.

Yes, after getting a few quotes I think I am now leaning towards
Vaillant instead. Looking at the specs I believe it's a perfect match
to the "generic" ideal boiler you mentioned in your FAQ, right down to
the laptop connection

Slightly related rant: Independent fitters vs big national/regional
guys. The big guys can give a firm quote on the spot. The independent
fitters need several days... I know, I know, the quote on the spot
will be much more expensive as they just probably mark it up to play
safe. But the chill in your cold unheateable house doesn't help in
thinking straight!

Searching for Happiness ? [email protected] UK diy 0 May 26th 07 12:41 PM
viessmann pcb legin UK diy 4 December 27th 06 02:51 PM
Viessmann C/H boiler-Opinions ? [email protected] UK diy 2 December 21st 06 08:18 PM
viessmann boiler trouble [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 22nd 06 08:35 PM
Viessmann LPG ignition problems [email protected] UK diy 6 March 18th 05 07:03 PM