Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rock on Tommy!

Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife & one
clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected without
any green/yellow sieving.

You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife &
one clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected
without any green/yellow sieving.

You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

Where can I find him? I've got a satellite system which gets half a dozen
different satellites - but not Sky. Or FreeSat. Basically 2000 odd
channels of crap.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife & one
clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected without
any green/yellow sieving.
You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

TBH Quite often saws etc are shown without guards to allow viewers to
see what is going on. Norm (New Yankee Workshop)invariably uses a table
saw without a riving knife (is this not a "matter of opinion" and it is
only the uk market that has gone the pro knife route?). There is no
excuse for wiring things "badly".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight.

Where can I find him?

It is on "Discovery Realtime" I believe this is on Virginmedia's top
telly subscription. Wouldn't know how you could get it on a "normal"
sattelite reciever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"soup" wrote in message
.uk...
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife &

one
clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected

without
any green/yellow sieving.
You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

TBH Quite often saws etc are shown without guards to allow viewers to
see what is going on. Norm (New Yankee Workshop)invariably uses a table
saw without a riving knife (is this not a "matter of opinion" and it is
only the uk market that has gone the pro knife route?). There is no
excuse for wiring things "badly".

I'm gonna show my ignorance here - what is the purpose of the Earth
sleeving? What does the bare wire need to be protected from? Or is it just
for identification?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight.

Where can I find him?

It is on "Discovery Realtime" I believe this is on Virginmedia's top
telly subscription. Wouldn't know how you could get it on a "normal"
sattelite reciever.

Ah. Right. Something else I won't be watching, then. One licence fee is
more than enough.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife & one
clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected without
any green/yellow sieving.
You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

TBH Quite often saws etc are shown without guards to allow viewers to
see what is going on. Norm (New Yankee Workshop)invariably uses a table
saw without a riving knife (is this not a "matter of opinion" and it is
only the uk market that has gone the pro knife route?). There is no
excuse for wiring things "badly".

These sort of programs are so influential, particularly on individuals
that haven't had the chance of professional training, I think it's
criminally irresponsible not to show at least the minimum level of
safety essential to the job.

Norm in NYW will (or should) be using a saw table with a splitter
rather than a riving knife - but in the UK Tommy & Co should be
complying with the relevant workplace health & safety legislation -
and that's fitted, correctly adjusted and used riving knife and crown
guard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Didn't know it was in the regs thought it was only "accepted practise".

You're correct, law is only about spin down time on table saws (in the
workplace) I think. Though all new table saws offered for sale must be
fitted with riving knives and crown guards I believe.

The reality is that if an employer had an accident on their premises
and hadn't a good reason for not following HSE advice, they would be
in a precarious situation.

The hse "advice" is very sensible imo:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis16.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-15 14:01:56 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
soup wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight.
Where can I find him?

It is on "Discovery Realtime" I believe this is on Virginmedia's top
telly subscription. Wouldn't know how you could get it on a "normal"
sattelite reciever.

Ah. Right. Something else I won't be watching, then. One licence fee is
more than enough.

Surely you don't think that media IP should be free?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 473c95d1@qaanaaq,
Andy Hall wrote:
Ah. Right. Something else I won't be watching, then. One licence fee is
more than enough.

Surely you don't think that media IP should be free?

Either paid for by subscription or licence or adverts. Not a combination.

But there's more than enough to watch on the 'free' channels so I've no
intention of paying any subscription.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

At the start of each episode of NYW there is a written notice which states
that guards have been removed in order to give an unobstructed view.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-15 19:05:54 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Andy Hall wrote:
Ah. Right. Something else I won't be watching, then. One licence fee is
more than enough.

Surely you don't think that media IP should be free?

Either paid for by subscription or licence or adverts. Not a combination.

But there's more than enough to watch on the 'free' channels so I've no
intention of paying any subscription.

Sadly, life isn't like that any more.

I think that the BBC News web site is good material for the most part.
However, access it from many places outside the UK and it's plastered
with commercials.

In Germany you can still fin Tagesschau from ARD which is of similar quality.

Beyond that, it's getting difficult.

Most broadcasting is by combined funding and reselling of content.
Even Auntie does that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife & one
clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected without
any green/yellow sieving.

You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

While I quite like Tommy, he seems like a decent down to earth type of bloke
I often wonder where DRT get their presenters from. Have you watched the one
with the Scottish guy who makes "useful furniture etc." from junk metal? I
would love to see his house must look a bit like stepto and sons. Then
theres the challenge guy where people give him X amount to make a chair, a
bed or whatever else they need OMFG.
My blog:
http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shiptodruid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

What's the difference between a splitter, a riving knife and a pro
knife?

BBC, Discovery or WBGH Boston.

Sorry, Andy, that's too cryptic. Do you mean they are just different
names, or are there also differences in design?

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-17 09:34:07 +0000, Ian White said:

Andy Hall wrote:

What's the difference between a splitter, a riving knife and a pro knife?

BBC, Discovery or WBGH Boston.

Sorry, Andy, that's too cryptic. Do you mean they are just different
names, or are there also differences in design?

The names do get wrongly applied according to geography and the TV
presenter implying interchangeability. To a degree that's true but
there is a difference.

A splitter is usually a plate attached to the throat plate of the saw
or to the chassis.

A riving knife is attached to the blade/arbor assembly and thus adjusts
up and down putting it in the right place for most operations. Thus
it's generally considered to be a better solution; plus the user is
less likely to need to remove it for certain cuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-15 00:10:59 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Watched that Tommy's Ultimate Workshop tonight. I quite like the show.

Two example of table saws being used with no guard & no riving knife & one
clip of a socket being installed - bare earth wire being connected without
any green/yellow sieving.

You would think they would pay more attention to details like that.

Could it be that Tommy is not what he appears to be?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PM wrote:

I'm gonna show my ignorance here - what is the purpose of the Earth
sleeving? What does the bare wire need to be protected from? Or is it just
for identification?

It is also for identification, however it is also (more importantly) for
insulation to prevent the wire making contact with any other conductor.
It would be too easy for the wire to fold against a bit of exposed live
conductor when you tuck it all into its back box. In the case of it
contacting the phase, this would cause an immediate earth fault that
should trip the protective device. In the case of the neutral this could
cause subtle nuisance tripping problems with RCDs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:

There ae many instances when it is necessary to utilise a table=saw without
a riving knife and or crown guard. Instances that spring to mind might be
_coving_ a plank; producing tenons; trenching (dado-ing) a board etc. etc.
A crown guard may only be used when a complete cut _through_ a board is
required.

Part of this is a design limitation of some saws where the crown guard
can't be remove without also taking off the riving knife. Things like
tenons, dados, trenches etc can be cut with a riving knife present. The
only operations where the knife will certainly cause a problem (that I
can think of) is cove cutting, and plunge cutting.

Crown guards can be used far more often if they do not require support
metalwork that passes through the line of cut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-18 12:14:08 +0000, John Rumm said:

Brian Sharrock wrote:

There ae many instances when it is necessary to utilise a table=saw
without a riving knife and or crown guard. Instances that spring to
mind might be _coving_ a plank; producing tenons; trenching (dado-ing)
a board etc. etc. A crown guard may only be used when a complete cut
_through_ a board is required.

Part of this is a design limitation of some saws where the crown guard
can't be remove without also taking off the riving knife. Things like
tenons, dados, trenches etc can be cut with a riving knife present. The
only operations where the knife will certainly cause a problem (that I
can think of) is cove cutting, and plunge cutting.

Generally, dado sets or equivalent tooling involve taking off the
riving knife, and in any case it doesn't do anything useful in the case
of a groove being cut.

Crown guards can be used far more often if they do not require support
metalwork that passes through the line of cut.

On larger industrial saws, this is done by having the guard
cantilevered and on rollers covering the whole blade area. e.g.

http://tinyurl.com/ynu2ev

There are also after market products such as the Excalibur, which is
fairly reasonable

http://www.just4fun.org/images/woodw...e-images/2.jpg

and

one such as that that Axminster sells (056002) which is flimsy junk.