Adhesive that can securely glue metal, is reversible, and has a fine applicator?

Old November 9th 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesive that can securely glue metal, is reversible, and has a fine applicator?

Hi there,

I know abolute zero about DIY, but want to learn! :-)

I am trying to find a multipurpose glue, and I am overwhelmed by the
vastness of choice out there, both in terms of types of glue and their
prices. So I am totally lost!

I basically want some kind of small product super-glue, that can
securely glue metal to fabric, plastic to bathroom porcelain, metal to
wood - you name it - I just want it for small repairs on basic home
materials, even my hair clips! On top of that, I need to find
something with a very fine applicator.

I visited my local hardware shop, which is very small, and the guy
sold me a cheap Loctite product. It was OK for paper and cloth, but I
could not apply it to anything less than an inch, as the width of glue
coming out of the tube was too much, a bit messy.

Sorry if I sound clueless, but this is how I learn I suppose!

Thanks,

Jo

Old November 9th 07, 04:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 05:25:32 -0800, wrote:

[...]

you will not find a single glue that will stick everything to
everything - after all if such a thing existed then there would only
be one type of glue!

The art is choosing the right glue for the application - most DIYers
will have at least half a dozen around including

1) PVA wood glue -the white stuff for wood
2) contact - paint it on to both surfaces allow to dry a bit and
press togethereg evostik - its also the stuiff young kids sniff
3) cyanoacrylate superglue I suspect the loctite is one of these
surprised it cannot be used in small amounts as these rely on a very
thin film
4) epoxy - mix equal amounts form each tube and then apply - can fill
gaps

then there is wallpaper paste, silcone glue that sets and sticks even
if wet oh and good old Bostik no 1 and that just a quick look in my
garage
Old November 9th 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov, 13:25, wrote:

I basically want some kind of small product super-glue,

No such animal (for "everything" and "good results").

You need a range. Look here for starters.
http://www.thistothat.com/