Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potterton Combi 100 - no mains light on

Hi

Just after our delightful evening meal, my son reported that "a bulb
must have gone in the back room, the lights won't come on", so I when
to the fuse box, re-set the tripped "fuse" and went to have a look.
No bulbs were out, but I noticed that the boiler now had no lights on
it. "That doesn't look good" I thought.....

We've got a 7 year old Potterton Combi 100. Nothing is working on
it. The "mains" light is not lit, which indicates to me some sort of
fuse blown (caused by.....?) in the boiler. Not something I can deal
with.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for someone to call in the
north Cheshire area (Frodsham)? Yellow pages is full of glossy ads
for "local" 0800 companies, and I'm steering clear of those. I don't
have anyone I can get a local recommendation from, so I thought I'd
turn to uk.d-i-y.

Any ideas? Not a good time of year to have 3 young children, no hot
water and no heating!

Thanks!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Nov, 21:59, geoff wrote:
In message .com,
writes

Hi

Just after our delightful evening meal, my son reported that "a bulb
must have gone in the back room, the lights won't come on", so I when
to the fuse box, re-set the tripped "fuse" and went to have a look.
No bulbs were out, but I noticed that the boiler now had no lights on
it. "That doesn't look good" I thought.....

We've got a 7 year old Potterton Combi 100.

Its just possible that the pcb has caught fire and the resulting
carbonated remains are presenting a short circuit to the mains

Combi 100s do that

Or it could be the pump

or it could be nothing to do with the boiler at all

--
geoff

Definitely the boiler. The fused switch next to it (which controls
the power supply to the boiler) is fine, as is the fuse (checked with
a multimeter). There was a faint smoky smell in there, but as next
door have a wood burning fire that's nothing new.

Thanks!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Nov, 23:31, geoff wrote:
In message . com,
writes

On 7 Nov, 21:59, geoff wrote:
[...]

Magic smoke has departed from the modulation board then ...

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

Bang to rights. Nice little burn through the top right of the main
board. Burn now present in wallet instead.

Matt