Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Should a sink outlet run into the rainwater/gutter system or into the toilet sewage pipe

The outley from my bathroom sink runs into rainwater guttering - is
this wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
405 TD Estate writes:
The outley from my bathroom sink runs into rainwater guttering - is
this wrong?

Depends where you live. In some areas (older dense urban areas)
surface water goes into the sewers anyway as there's no separate
surface water drainage system and nowhere to put soakaways.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 00:51:33 -0800 someone who may be 405 TD Estate
wrote this:-

The outley from my bathroom sink runs into rainwater guttering - is
this wrong?

Presumably it actually runs into a pipe connected to the guttering
or a hopperhead.

Assuming this is the case, it depends on what drainage system you
have.

If the guttering is connected to the sewer system (likely in an
older building) then the arrangement is fine. If the guttering is
connected to a surface water drainage system (likely in newer
buildings and rural areas) then this is not fine.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

The outley from my bathroom sink runs into rainwater guttering - is
this wrong?

Presumably it actually runs into a pipe connected to the guttering
or a hopperhead.

Assuming this is the case, it depends on what drainage system you
have.

If the guttering is connected to the sewer system (likely in an
older building) then the arrangement is fine. If the guttering is
connected to a surface water drainage system (likely in newer
buildings and rural areas) then this is not fine.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

The history of sewerage from Victorian times is interesting in that a
lot of it still remains unimproved. They had open connections into
hoppers and were not well up on p and s traps.

A vast army of navvies converted rivers and streams into enclosed
sewers whose brickwork is still very good today.

Today some effort is made to separate surface water from foul water
with grey water going into the septic system. Near a beach or open
river the surface water might be let go into those outlets.

All at the behest of a Mr Thomas Crapper. A cost cutting accountant
called in to deal with poor laws. In his defense, most sewage dealt
with grey water in those days.