Paint cracking on exterior door

Old November 4th 07, 10:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint cracking on exterior door

The paint on our heavy panelled exterior front door has cracked along joins
between stiles and rails, as well as along the edges of some of the panels.
I spent much time last year on preparing the door for painting, including
filling all the crack lines with car body filler, but the (moderately)
immaculate finish I then achieved has been marred by cracking has recurred
in a similar fashion to how it was before.
Presumably this is because of expansion/contraction, and "working" of the
different parts of the door against each other. (?)
SWMBO is agitating for me to remedy this, in order to reinstate the finish
that was in place when I finished the last round of work, but I'm at a loss
as to how to achieve this without the same problem showing up again within
months.
Any suggestions? I've been trying to think of ways I can improve the
stability of the door but haven't come up with anything that's practicable.
Old November 4th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Appelation Controlee wrote:
[...]

Flexible decorators caulk,putty, mastic, or don't use wood.
Old November 4th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
nog

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:06:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I should have added that it was the flexible variant of car body
filler that I used. That leads me to wonder whether it was its flexible
charcteristic that contributed to the problem?
Old November 4th 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

nog wrote:
[...]

Not a lot you can do, nature of the beast etc.
Wait for a dry spell and fill the end grain top and bottom with candle wax.
Old November 4th 07, 11:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ste

nog wrote:
[...]

Car body filler is not flexible enough for wood joints that are subject
to movement, a softer wood type filler should be used, something like
Brummer filler for example.

ste
Old November 5th 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:
nog wrote:
[...]

Brummer stopper is 100% clay, and we know how flexible that is!
Old November 5th 07, 12:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

I'd just wait til the door has dryed out as much as it will, fill the
cracks with paint using some small artists brushes then paint it
again.

A paint that's claims to be (relatively!) flexible and resists
cracking would be best.

cheers,
Pete.

Old November 6th 07, 06:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ste

Stuart Noble wrote:
ste wrote:
nog wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:06:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Perhaps I should have added that it was the flexible variant of car body
filler that I used. That leads me to wonder whether it was its flexible
charcteristic that contributed to the problem?

Car body filler is not flexible enough for wood joints that are
subject to movement, a softer wood type filler should be used,
something like
Brummer filler for example.

ste

Brummer stopper is 100% clay, and we know how flexible that is!

Clay?, that's totally unsatisfactory as a base filler for wood, even a
car body filler would be more flexible than clay.

Can you not obtain lead fillers these days? or have these been banned on
heath & safety grounds like lead paint was, although I think you can
still purchase lead based paint from some outlets.

ste
Old November 6th 07, 06:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ste

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

I'd just wait til the door has dryed out as much as it will, fill the
cracks with paint using some small artists brushes then paint it
again.

A paint that's claims to be (relatively!) flexible and resists
cracking would be best.

You can add flexing agents into paint but I don't think this is the cure
for expanding wood.

ste

Old November 7th 07, 07:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
nog

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:54:54 +0000, ste wrote:

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

I'd just wait til the door has dryed out as much as it will, fill the
cracks with paint using some small artists brushes then paint it
again.

A paint that's claims to be (relatively!) flexible and resists
cracking would be best.

You can add flexing agents into paint but I don't think this is the cure
for expanding wood.

While expansion/contraction is, I think, bound to be involved, I think the
biggest problem in our case is movement of the different parts of the door
relative to each other. The paint, btw, is Buckingham Green from
International.

Paint cracking and hanging from ceiling BE Home Repair 0 July 6th 06 02:56 PM
Paint Cracking/Crazing Baz UK diy 7 October 28th 05 12:15 PM
can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint? Bruce Millar Home Repair 7 April 14th 04 05:56 AM
Cracking paint walls & ceiling Billy & Beth Adams Home Ownership 0 March 14th 04 04:02 AM
best paint exterior fiberglass door BKS Home Repair 1 March 1st 04 01:45 PM