Junior Member

Default Door - internal or external

Hi,
We've fitted a fully glazed floor to ceiling porch on the house and now want to fit a new front door which is now inside the porch obviously.
We like the design of some internal doors - veneered oak planking style - to get the same design in external door spec is several hundreds of pounds more.
The question is, can we use the internal door version and comply with building regs (door thickness would be 34mm'ish not 44mm as existing door), insurance etc.
Is the only reason external doors 44mm is insulation value? or is it something more?

Cheers
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
jonathan

My builder told me it's simply the thickness required to get a decent
secuirty lock into.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jonathan
writes

Hi,
We've fitted a fully glazed floor to ceiling porch on the house and now
want to fit a new front door which is now inside the porch obviously.
We like the design of some internal doors - veneered oak planking style
- to get the same design in external door spec is several hundreds of
pounds more.
The question is, can we use the internal door version and comply with
building regs (door thickness would be 34mm'ish not 44mm as existing
door), insurance etc.
Is the only reason external doors 44mm is insulation value? or is it
something more?

How secure is this porch? If it would be relatively easy to get into
you'd be better installing a proper external door on security grounds
alone.

--
Si
Junior Member

Well the porch is basically 3.5x2.5inch framework with floor to ceiling toughened glass - glazing taped in - with a 5 lever deadlock.
Is suppose you could smash the glass to get in - but then how secure is any 'window'?
The existing front door has a key lockable rim lock and internal bolts - I was thinking of using the same on the new door.

Jonathan