Best way to shorten internal door?

Old October 27th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to shorten internal door?

Hi guys,

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

What is the best way to do this? I have a DIY book (don't we all?)
that recommends using a manual plane.

I am a complete novice at carpentry - should I be trying this? What
tools should I be using? Etc etc

Cheers

Lawrence

Old October 27th 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lord0 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

What is the best way to do this? I have a DIY book (don't we all?)
that recommends using a manual plane.

I am a complete novice at carpentry - should I be trying this? What
tools should I be using? Etc etc

Cheers

Lawrence

Lawrence,

Simply a hand saw, plane, craft knife and glasspaper.

The method that I would use is simply to mark the bottom of the door with a
pencil on both sides and then to avoid any spalling - score along both marks
with a sharp craft knife.

Once that is done, use the saw to cut just inside the line and holding the
saw at a fairly 'flat' angle to reduce spalling - remember to take care when
approaching the end of the cut to hold the waste and saw slowly. This is
best done using a new 'throw away' crosscut saw from one of the 'sheds' for
the reason stated under Warning below.

Once the waste is removed, clean up to and just 'take out' the scored line
with the plane and use fine glasspaper rubbed along the cut edges to take
the arris off - voila job done and rehang the door.

Warning:If they are flush doors, you have a good chance of hitting a couple
of staples holding the frame together on both edges of the door - if you
'hit' these then they will certainly blunt the saw/plane and will require
removal before you can proceed further. If you do hit these, there are
several different methods to remove them using a thin bladed, flat
screwdriver and a pair of pincers or simply cut through them with a hacksaw
blade.

Brian G

Old October 27th 07, 01:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian G wrote:

Lord0 wrote:
[...]

Another thing to be aware of is that internal doors are usually hollow.
Taking 10mm off shouldn't be a problem unless the door has *already* been
shortened on an earlier occasion, but taking much more off is likely to
result in losing the bottom piece of framing altogether. If that happens,
you need to get another piece of wood of the right thickness, and glue it
between the two hardboard (or whatever) skins - clamping it together until
the glue has set.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old October 27th 07, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lord0 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

What is the best way to do this? I have a DIY book (don't we all?)
that recommends using a manual plane.

I am a complete novice at carpentry - should I be trying this? What
tools should I be using? Etc etc

Cheers

Lawrence

Circular saw/batten method is quick and accurate. Google for details
Old October 27th 07, 03:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Lord0 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

What is the best way to do this? I have a DIY book (don't we all?)
that recommends using a manual plane.

I am a complete novice at carpentry - should I be trying this? What
tools should I be using? Etc etc

Cheers

Lawrence

Circular saw/batten method is quick and accurate. Google for details

Stuart

Almost guaranteed at the very least to cause some damage to the doors and at
worse to remove the fingers of the admitted "complete novice".

Brian G

Old October 27th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian G wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Lord0 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

What is the best way to do this? I have a DIY book (don't we all?)
that recommends using a manual plane.

I am a complete novice at carpentry - should I be trying this? What
tools should I be using? Etc etc

Cheers

Lawrence

Circular saw/batten method is quick and accurate. Google for details

Stuart

Almost guaranteed at the very least to cause some damage to the doors and at
worse to remove the fingers of the admitted "complete novice".

Disagree on both counts. What damage could a straight cut with a sharp
blade do?
Old October 27th 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lord0 wrote:

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

If you don't want to remove then rehang the door, one of these can do a
good job:

The saw is easy to use and gives a fine smooth finish, no need to plane
afterwards. It's very easy to use and provided you draw a pencil line
along the door to cut along it's easy to cut a straight line.
Old October 27th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Lord0 wrote:

I got new carpets fitted. As a result I need to shorten two internal
doors by *about* 1cm.

If you don't want to remove then rehang the door, one of these can do a
good job:

The saw is easy to use and gives a fine smooth finish, no need to plane
afterwards. It's very easy to use and provided you draw a pencil line
along the door to cut along it's easy to cut a straight line.

Straight being a relative term...
Old October 27th 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

If you don't want to remove then rehang the door, one of these can do a
good job:

The saw is easy to use and gives a fine smooth finish, no need to plane
afterwards. It's very easy to use and provided you draw a pencil line
along the door to cut along it's easy to cut a straight line.

Hmmm! I doubt it...more of an f**kin,$"*&% thing scenario. :-)

Old October 27th 07, 06:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

The saw is easy to use and gives a fine smooth finish, no need to plane
afterwards. It's very easy to use and provided you draw a pencil line
along the door to cut along it's easy to cut a straight line.

Straight being a relative term...

I've had no problems cutting doors absolutely straight with one of these
saws. Have you ever tried to use one? The blade is so wide that it
really can't wander off the cut. Of course starting the cut and ensuring
that it is going to go where you want it is a tad tricky but anyone who
can use a handsaw should be able to use one of these.

New Internal Door Tony 9-5 UK diy 2 June 18th 07 07:31 AM
how do I hang an internal door-using previous door as template? [email protected] UK diy 3 September 28th 06 11:05 AM
Internal door John UK diy 1 September 24th 06 08:57 PM
Door closers on every internal door - normal? markc UK diy 11 July 26th 05 04:21 PM
2 door hinges for weight internal door? LLim UK diy 0 January 6th 04 10:23 PM