Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone sealant

Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up
covered in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have
just had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look
to be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

Well you've answered your own question in part! Don't apply too much is a
good start. Don't assume all can be put right by the magic finger, ie make
the bead as good as you can. The poorer sealant sometimes goes on easier but
it's worth persevering with the better stuff.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up

covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have

just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look

be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

How can you apply too much? it comes out of the tube nozzle in a 1.5 mm
string.

Cotinuation of the string is a good start and then keep the finger wet all
the time wiping of the the excess as you go.
If the gap is wider than the string then apply another string after you have
wiped the first string smooth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , diy-newby writes
Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A236074&ts=89083&id=28167
as recently mentioned here, &
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=28635&ts=88983

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-26 09:40:56 +0100, "diy-newby" said:

Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

I don't know, but I can recommend the Fugenboy (Screwfix 28167).
This is a set of shaping tools in a particular plastic which does not
particularly adhere to the fugen (sealer).

Then you need some water with washing up liquid added as a release
agent and some paper kitchen roll.

Decide on which profile you want to have - there are curved and angled
ones of different sizes. Apply the sealerbut don't overdo it, then
wet the tool (as it were) and run along the join. When there is
build up, wipe the tool clean with kitchen paper moistened with the
water/detergent and continue. Finally with a clean tool wetted again,
run along the entire join.

There is a better product called Fugen Ass (www.fugenass.info). I
bought one of these in France. For some reason, the company has not
managed to market it vrey well in the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:40:56 +0100, diy-newby wrote:

How on earth have they done that?

Not applied to much in the first place (cut nozzle to width of gap),
applied in one long non stop operation, possibly masking, using a
professional sealant (these tend to be thicker/stickier than the DIY
formulations but skin quicker) and probably the most important, lots of
learnt skill.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:40:56 +0100, "diy-newby" wrote:

Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

I hate the stuff - the previous owner of this house used it to fill
*everything* instead of caulk or filler. Along skirtings, as wood
filler, in plaster walls....renovating has been a nightmare getting it
all off, especially as he has not only used it for everything, but
smeared it all over the place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

There is a better product called Fugen Ass (www.fugenass.info). I
bought one of these in France. For some reason, the company has not
managed to market it vrey well in the UK.

Yes, looks interesting, and you can buy it online

http://www.fugenass.info/hs_engl/index_engl.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:40:56 +0100, diy-newby wrote:

How on earth have they done that?

Not applied to much in the first place (cut nozzle to width of gap),
applied in one long non stop operation, possibly masking, using a
professional sealant (these tend to be thicker/stickier than the DIY
formulations but skin quicker) and probably the most important, lots of
learnt skill.

People tend to squeeze the trigger too much at the start. One light
squeeze is usually enough to bring the sealant up to the hole. Any more
and you start with excess pressure in the cartridge, which makes it
difficult to control

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up
covered in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have
just had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look
to be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

This is a demonstration of the Fugi that folk have recommended. It makes it
look so easy.
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/-13240
I recently picked up a JML 4 tool set for £2.99 in in-store
http://www.jmldirect.com/Bathroom-an...Wizard-PB4139/

Steven

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven wrote:

This is a demonstration of the Fugi that folk have recommended. It makes it
look so easy.
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/-13240

Steven

It does look easy on that video!

Without accusing them of special effects - it looks too easy, especially
where he wipes it across a joint and there is no absolutely no mess left
behind.

What sort of plastic is this tool made from... coloured PTFE maybe?

I'm not trying to say that it is a gimmick, as I know that a lot of
people use them, but the demo video seems too good to be true!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up
covered in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have
just had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look
to be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

I have always used what I call my silicone spoons:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0150142

There are also other methods: Using a teaspoon, and using masking tape (and
a combination of the two)

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steven
writes
"diy-newby" wrote in message ...
Hi guys

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up
covered in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have
just had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look
to be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

This is a demonstration of the Fugi that folk have recommended. It makes it
look so easy.
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/-13240
I recently picked up a JML 4 tool set for £2.99 in in-store
http://www.jmldirect.com/Bathroom-an...Wizard-PB4139/

Cheapest place I've found to buy the Fugi is
http://www.byretech.com/acatalog/Fugi_III.html

They also have the 2 piece set.

Dunno anything about these people but they say they offer next day
delivery at no cost. So that'll mean Tuesday.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Steven wrote:

This is a demonstration of the Fugi that folk have recommended. It
makes it look so easy.
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/-13240

Steven

It does look easy on that video!

Without accusing them of special effects - it looks too easy, especially
where he wipes it across a joint and there is no absolutely no mess left
behind.

What sort of plastic is this tool made from... coloured PTFE maybe?

I'm not trying to say that it is a gimmick, as I know that a lot of
people use them, but the demo video seems too good to be true!

Using netscape, I can hear the sound but not view the video :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:19:37 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

People tend to squeeze the trigger too much at the start. One light
squeeze is usually enough to bring the sealant up to the hole. Any more
and you start with excess pressure in the cartridge, which makes it
difficult to control

Aye, you need a steady flow of sealant and vary the speed of the nozzle
depending on the depth of the gap being filled. Cut the nozzle at an angle
hold about 90 deg to the gap with the opening facing the direction of
travel. You then squeeze and move the nozzle (the tip touching both sides
of the gap) aiming to keep the size of the sealant buldge at the opening
constant and within the two points of contact.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Using netscape, I can hear the sound but not view the video :-(

Dave

I dunno Dave - it works fine with Firefox, Opera and Konqurer on Linux.
Maybe needs settings changed.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy-newby wrote:

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

Have a look here, with particular attention on the application section
and links:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...licone_Sealant

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Using netscape, I can hear the sound but not view the video :-(

Dave

I dunno Dave - it works fine with Firefox, Opera and Konqurer on Linux.
Maybe needs settings changed.

More likely a odec problem.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-27 00:39:37 +0100, "Bob Smith"
said:

"Bob Smith" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Using netscape, I can hear the sound but not view the video :-(

Dave

I dunno Dave - it works fine with Firefox, Opera and Konqurer on Linux.
Maybe needs settings changed.

More likely a odec problem.

Bob

Umm, *codec*

Bob

Perhaps it got truncated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-27 00:39:37 +0100, "Bob Smith"
said:

"Bob Smith" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Using netscape, I can hear the sound but not view the video :-(

Dave

I dunno Dave - it works fine with Firefox, Opera and Konqurer on Linux.
Maybe needs settings changed.

More likely a odec problem.

Bob

Umm, *codec*

Bob

Perhaps it got truncated.

Definitely finger trouble - I don't have a trunk.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:40:56 +0100, diy-newby wrote:

How on earth have they done that?

Not applied to much in the first place (cut nozzle to width of gap),
applied in one long non stop operation, possibly masking, using a
professional sealant (these tend to be thicker/stickier than the DIY
formulations but skin quicker) and probably the most important, lots of
learnt skill.

I was tlaking to a window fitter about this a couple of weeks ago and he said
it's down to practise, and lots of it.

The standard DIY problem; this is the first and only time you do a job.

It's a knack.
Most people buy a gun and a tube of sealant and have straight at the
job in hand...which soon turns into the job *on* hand...

Best bet is to nail a couple of bits of wood together and spend some
time practicing beforehand. This at least gives you some idea of the
flow rate per trigger pressure and the best angle of attack.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
diy-newby wrote:

One job I hate doing is applying silicone sealant. I ALWAYS end up covered
in the stuff.

My general method for applying is:-

Apply the silicone and smooth off with a wet finger. I usually apply too
much and end up gathering a finger full whilst smoothing.

Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look to
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

Have a look here, with particular attention on the application section
and links:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...licone_Sealant

Only thing I can add is lots of nearly neat washing up liquid makes
all the difference. With a layer of that on a finger one can sculpt
it
to heart's content.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip
Cheapest place I've found to buy the Fugi is
http://www.byretech.com/acatalog/Fugi_III.html

They also have the 2 piece set.

Dunno anything about these people but they say they offer next day
delivery at no cost. So that'll mean Tuesday.

--
Si

Ordered mine Saturday pm, email on Monday am to say they'd
despatched it, arrived Tuesday am. No delivery charge.
Great service!
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul Matthews" wrote in message
diy-newby wrote:
Anyone have any tips for applying silicone? Reason I ask is, work have
just
had a new kitchen and toilets fitted and the silicone on there looks
perfect. Nice straight lines, over over smear and even the corners look
be at right angles!!! How on earth have they done that?

Practice?

I use http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/739-13240

Please keep up at the back ;o)

That was posted a week ago.

Which silicone sealant remover? Mike Clarke UK diy 0 April 12th 07 02:47 PM
Silicone Sealant?? PeteD UK diy 4 December 20th 05 11:29 PM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 4 June 11th 04 01:56 PM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 26 May 22nd 04 01:15 AM
Silicone Sealant Alex Bird UK diy 15 March 16th 04 01:10 PM