Dripping noise

Old October 7th 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping noise

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Old October 7th 07, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

could it be a pipe expanding - they often make a ticking like noise as they
stick/slip in a slot - does it start after the pump stars running - there
should be water in the pipe all the time so it should leak all the time not
just when the pump is running ??

Old October 7th 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling - then get the lifeboat ready.
I have an electrically operated valve on one pipe and it bangs shut which is
quite alarming.

Old October 7th 07, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the
lounge. The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where
central heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling
and I can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid
at times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned about unless you notice a mark on the cieling - then get the
lifeboat ready. I have an electrically operated valve on one pipe and it
bangs shut which is quite alarming.

Mine can sound like someone creeping about upstairs.

Old October 7th 07, 11:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:56:00 +0100, John wrote:

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Just expansion otherwise it would drip all the time.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old October 8th 07, 12:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Don
writes

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

--
geoff
Old October 8th 07, 12:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great height
to give weight to that.

Old October 8th 07, 12:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct, 00:12, geoff wrote:
In message , Don
writes

"John" wrote in message
Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago,
when the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge.
The noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central
heating pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I
can't feel anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at
times and then slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

What a ****!! Get a life you fuken losier

Old October 8th 07, 12:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 23:19:46 +0100, Jim S wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:56:00 +0100, John wrote:

Since we started using the central heating again a couple of weeks ago, when
the heating is on I can hear a dripping noise when sat in the lounge. The
noise appears to be coming from the ceiling, probably where central heating
pipes run. So far there is no water mark on the ceiling and I can't feel
anything damp but the dripping noise can be quite rapid at times and then
slow down for a while.

Is it likely to be a leak or could it just be expansion?

Thanks

John

Just expansion otherwise it would drip all the time.

Once the system has "warmed up", if the noise stops just rest assured
that you aren't losing water from the CH system.
If you have a combi boiler do you constantly lose pressure?

I have a combi, and after the heating has been off for a while the
pressure gauge does start at well down but picks up as the system
heats up. I can't see any leaks so I assume that the apparent pressure
loss is in the boiler - I'm awaiting a visit from the Heateam guy.

--
Frank Erskine
Old October 8th 07, 01:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

That's what happens when things heat up and expand! Nothing to be
concerned
about unless you notice a mark on the cieling -

"i" before "e" except after "c"

What a weird comment. I suppose you had seize the moment from a great
height to give weight to that.

Well, it's something that is so ingrained that I don't see how anyone
can get it wrong, unless they are a total retard

It's such a basic rule of English

So you can **** off too, window licker

--
geoff

New Toilet Installation - Dripping Noise Cornerman Home Repair 7 April 20th 07 03:35 AM
Dripping tap Bob UK diy 4 February 20th 06 12:07 PM
Tap dripping. Ben UK diy 9 November 29th 05 06:34 PM
Dripping tap call me VK UK diy 3 July 14th 05 02:58 PM
Dripping tap Epetruk UK diy 5 July 4th 05 10:14 PM