A solution to stop doors slamming/being slammed?

Old October 7th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Default A solution to stop doors slamming/being slammed?

I need a solution to stop doors being slammed by teenage kids, which
in turn shakes the whole house.

Mrs dg insists that it MUST be an ironmongery solution, and not
related physical or surgical treatment, or sending the kids off to a
care home.

I've looked at the pneumatic kitchen cabinet closers, but these would
not seem to fit on a normal internal door, and not be strong enough in
any case.

I've also looked at a dictator, but these seem obtrusive and need to
work with a door closer mechanism. I don't want any annoying self
closing doors

The sponge things to prevent younger children from trapping their
fingers are no good, as we need the doors to close.

Are there any anti-slam products available for lightweight internal
doors?

dg

Old October 7th 07, 01:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:
I need a solution to stop doors being slammed by teenage kids, which
in turn shakes the whole house.

Tell me about it...

We solved it instantly by threatening to unscrew daughter's
bedroom door and removing it completely, indefinitely.

Followed it through, just for one day, and then replaced it following
day after much begging amd cajoling and promises of no repetition.

Curiously enough, as a solution to slamming doors, it's worked an
absolute treat - better than any other 'punishment' we've ever had to
implement.

No reason why it can't be extended to other doors - ie, you slam my
kitchen door, then say bye bye to your bedroom door...

David

Old October 7th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I use a hydraulic (not pneumatic) door closer on the kitchen door and it
works fine. They are, however, not cheap - and must be installed in
accordance with the installation instructions.

Old October 7th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Oct, 14:24, dg wrote:
[...]

You bring back an old memory that my grandparents used to have a sort
of scarf tied around the lock from one knob to the other. I think I
was told it was to prevent slamming in their draughty Victorian house.
Experiment shows it does work (though I don't have a British Standard
teenager to do a proper test . The thickness of material has to be
selected according to the gap between door and frame such that it
requires a bit of force to actually close the door. Perhaps something
could be contrived with foam strip.

Chris

Old October 7th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.com/2haayp

Old October 7th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-07 13:24:31 +0100, dg said:

[...]

I think that you need to work on Mrs dg.

It seems to be a common issue - not sure whether it's carelessness,
can't be bothered, f*ck you, ****ing against lampposts or a combination.

Unless you want to fit door closer mechanisms, which you say you don't,
and I agree with you, I never found a hardware solution in terms of the
actual doors being slammed.

What did work, and is a hardware solution, was to take the door off of
their bedrooms for a week or until the door banging stopped. Privacy
is one of the most valued things to a teenager and it did seem to work
better to address the issue rather than the symptom.

Old October 7th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I need a solution to stop doors being slammed by teenage kids, which
in turn shakes the whole house.

Tell me about it...

We solved it instantly by threatening to unscrew daughter's
bedroom door and removing it completely, indefinitely.

Followed it through, just for one day, and then replaced it following
day after much begging amd cajoling and promises of no repetition.

Curiously enough, as a solution to slamming doors, it's worked an
absolute treat - better than any other 'punishment' we've ever had to
implement.

No reason why it can't be extended to other doors - ie, you slam my
kitchen door, then say bye bye to your bedroom door...

Excellent advice, Pavlov. Best to fit the door on rising butts so it can
be easily removed if the training has a lapse.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 7th 07, 03:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need a solution to stop doors being slammed by teenage kids, which
in turn shakes the whole house.

Try a strip of draught proofing foam down the hinge side and one down the
opening side.
It will at least dull the thud.

Mrs dg insists that it MUST be an ironmongery solution, and not
related physical or surgical treatment, or sending the kids off to a
care home.

If you have kids like that then you need to look at training in being
assertive and crowd control.
Try taking one of their favourite things off them if they keep doing it if
they want to behave like five year olds treat them like five year olds.
At worst they will threaten to leave.

Old October 7th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need a solution to stop doors being slammed by teenage kids, which
in turn shakes the whole house.

Mrs dg insists that it MUST be an ironmongery solution, and not
related physical or surgical treatment, or sending the kids off to a
care home.

Parenting classes?

mark

Old October 7th 07, 04:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've had the oppposite problem, getting children to close doors. In fact
getting Spouse to close a door is difficult :-(

It's a pity you can't use a surgical, or even capital, solution ...

Mary

Sound of Car Door Slamming JimL Home Repair 27 August 16th 06 07:56 PM
slamming patio doors Stuart Noble UK diy 0 May 19th 06 11:40 AM
Door slamming E UK diy 11 September 8th 05 11:25 AM
Internal fire doors / slamming ! & Shower problems Nick UK diy 8 January 28th 04 03:50 PM
Odd-sized internal doors solution? BigWallop UK diy 5 August 29th 03 04:37 PM