Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Permissible cable run quandry?

As part of the lounge rebuild I am doing, I have run into a problem with
concealed wires with no accessories to indicate that a cable run could
be going up the wall.

This is behind a radiator that is going to be removed permanently and
this freed-up area will become our TV/HiFi area so there will obviously
need to be extra sockets fitted.

The trouble, or maybe my confusion, arises because the lounge part of
the ring has both cables running next to each other from other rooms
buried in the plaster.

I can extract the cables and connect them to sockets (one for each side
of ring and then continue around lounge) and thus extend the ring easily
enough although, obviously, neither of the sockets would then be
directly under the fitting as both cables would then have to enter
through the side of their box.

I am happy to have both sockets adjacent with just enough room, say
50mm, for the vertical cables to enter them from the sides and then to
continue with normal horizontal and vertical runs from there?

Is this vertical 'zone' above the gap between two closely spaced boxes
acceptable?

I have tried to look this up, but all I seem to get is about bathroom
zoning!

Thanks

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's just me, but I don't follow this at all I'm afraid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't follow this at all I'm afraid.

No, it is probably my description.

Cables for both parts of ring run down wall in the same chase. Cables
have no fittings above, or below that would indicate a cable run.
Instead, they continue to the underfloor where they go round the room to
other sockets and complete the ring..

My problem is that there is a pair (ring) of cables that pass vertically
down the wall. IIUC there needs to be an accessory in place to show that
cables are to be expected vertically, or horizontally, to meet
electrical regulations.

To rectify this, a solution would be to put two sockets, one on each
side of the drop and then take the ring around from them. But as the
cables are close to each other in the chase that would mean that the
cables would have to enter their boxes from a side knock-out.

That would mean that the cables went up vertically in the space between
two adjacent sockets, but not directly above either.

I hope that this paints a clearer picture...

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Put one socket in the vertical chase, have one of the drop cables broken
to connect the new socket, have the other drop cable electrically
unbroken but running vertically through the box. A double socket should
be wide enough to span the chase with ample spare width for non-vertical
tolerances.

Thanks Owain that seems the best way of doing it. I wasn't aware that it
was OK to run the cable through the box like that.

In practice, unless you can pull some spare cable length from the
floor/ceiling near the socket, you may have to break and reconnect or
extend both cables - insulated crimps would be the best way of doing this.

The way I proposed had the advantage that there would have been enough
cable to go to boxes either side of the chase but it is no problem to
join extra cable if I have to as I have the insulated crimps and proper
tool.

Using an extra depth backing box would provide more room for the gubbins.

Yes, I could sink a deep box there. As the crimps are protected by the
box and accessible would I still need to cover the complete join in
heatshrink?

Another idea... could I take both cables vertically into an empty box
(with cover) then take them out horizontally to sockets either side i.e.
just using the box to indicate the cable run and provide a means of
changing direction? This would save making extra joints for the price of
having a blank single box between the sockets which won't be seen when
behind furniture.

Cheers

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Steve wrote:
Yes, I could sink a deep box there. As the crimps are protected by the
box and accessible would I still need to cover the complete join in
heatshrink?

No.

Another idea... could I take both cables vertically into an empty box
(with cover) then take them out horizontally to sockets either side
i.e. just using the box to indicate the cable run and provide a means
of changing direction? This would save making extra joints for the
price of having a blank single box between the sockets which won't be
seen when behind furniture.

You could.

Owain

Thanks again, I think I will use a single box then if this means my
wiring will then be within regulations!

Cheers

Steve

Permissible combi boiler connection point (electrical) Martin H UK diy 5 May 23rd 07 11:19 PM
CH system descaling quandry Siggy UK diy 14 January 28th 07 07:38 PM
Quandry on ABPW Tim Taylor Woodworking 0 October 13th 06 01:42 AM
A Quandry Lew Hodgett Woodworking 7 August 24th 06 09:00 AM
Quandry about a/c repair news.rcn.com Home Repair 7 August 26th 05 02:19 PM