Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default combi boiler timer problem

The timer on my boiler is giving me problems. When I set it to turn on/
off the central heating and hot water, it doesn't work. I can boost
the CH or HW for an hour and it keeps the time and settings fine -
just doesn't fire when it's supposed to. Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ramman wrote:
The timer on my boiler is giving me problems. When I set it to turn on/
off the central heating and hot water, it doesn't work. I can boost
the CH or HW for an hour and it keeps the time and settings fine -
just doesn't fire when it's supposed to. Any suggestions?

Has it just stopped working or has it always been like this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 5:48 pm, Lobster wrote:
ramman wrote:
The timer on my boiler is giving me problems. When I set it to turn on/
off the central heating and hot water, it doesn't work. I can boost
the CH or HW for an hour and it keeps the time and settings fine -
just doesn't fire when it's supposed to. Any suggestions?

Has it just stopped working or has it always been like this?

No - it worked fine until recently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ramman wrote:
The timer on my boiler is giving me problems. When I set it to turn on/
off the central heating and hot water, it doesn't work. I can boost
the CH or HW for an hour and it keeps the time and settings fine -
just doesn't fire when it's supposed to. Any suggestions?

Has it just stopped working or has it always been like this?

No - it worked fine until recently.

What sort of timer: digital, or mechanical with the rotary dial?

If the latter then these can fail to switch properly when they get old.
The solution is to either replace it, or leave it permanently on and add
a programmable room stat and leave that to control things.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
ramman wrote:
The timer on my boiler is giving me problems. When I set it to turn on/
off the central heating and hot water, it doesn't work. I can boost
the CH or HW for an hour and it keeps the time and settings fine -
just doesn't fire when it's supposed to. Any suggestions?
Has it just stopped working or has it always been like this?

No - it worked fine until recently.

What sort of timer: digital, or mechanical with the rotary dial?

If the latter then these can fail to switch properly when they get old.
The solution is to either replace it, or leave it permanently on and
add a programmable room stat and leave that to control things.

Stop being ageist

Failing to switch properly is more a function of age rather than being
mechanical (falls into own trap !)

Digital timers have internal relays and their contacts are, in general,
less robust than the contacts of mechanical timers

--
geoff