Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tips for sealing around door to prevent dust/ mess during building work pls!!

Our builders start work on Monday and I need to seal up a door to
"help" prevent the building dust/ mess going through to another room.

It is staying sealed for a long time and I wondered if there is
anything apart from parcel tape around the door I can use that will
really make a difference.

Has anyone found a completely dust free sealing method they would like
to tell me about?!
Many thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rebecca" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our builders start work on Monday and I need to seal up a door to
"help" prevent the building dust/ mess going through to another

room.

It is staying sealed for a long time and I wondered if there is
anything apart from parcel tape around the door I can use that will
really make a difference.

Has anyone found a completely dust free sealing method they would

like
to tell me about?!
Many thanks in advance

Parcel tape if left on for a while will leave glue marks that are
almost impossible to remove so beware. Gaffer tape may be better.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Polythene dust sheet (or roll of same) and 75mm or 100mm masking tape
round all the edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Polythene dust sheet (or roll of same) and 75mm or 100mm masking

tape
round all the edges.

Again as per parcel tape, masking tape that is left on for more than a
day or two is a nightmare to clean up after

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 01:27:49 -0700, Rebecca wrote:

Our builders start work on Monday and I need to seal up a door to "help"
prevent the building dust/ mess going through to another room.

It is staying sealed for a long time and I wondered if there is anything
apart from parcel tape around the door I can use that will really make a
difference.

Has anyone found a completely dust free sealing method they would like to
tell me about?!
Many thanks in advance

==================================
If the door is a good fit you can use foam draught-proofing strip for top
and sides. For the bottom use a wadge of foam rubber (look in plastic
roofing section in Wickes for 'eaves filler') or cut strips from an old
chair squab. Staple or tape a polythene sheet over for extra protection.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Polythene dust sheet (or roll of same) and 75mm or 100mm masking

tape
round all the edges.

Again as per parcel tape, masking tape that is left on for more than a
day or two is a nightmare to clean up after

AWEM

I have found that masking tape comes off easily, certainly after a
couple of weeks. However be aware that if it gets wet it it almost
impossible to get off, except with acetone. I found that out the hard
way when I masked a boat to paint antifouling, then the tide came in
before I removed the tape!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:31:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Polythene dust sheet (or roll of same) and 75mm or 100mm masking

tape
round all the edges.

Again as per parcel tape, masking tape that is left on for more than a
day or two is a nightmare to clean up after

AWEM

I have found that masking tape comes off easily, certainly after a couple
of weeks. However be aware that if it gets wet it it almost impossible to
get off, except with acetone. I found that out the hard way when I masked
a boat to paint antifouling, then the tide came in before I removed the
tape!

==================================
In this particular case the OP is unlikely to be too bothered by a few
marks left by sticky tapes. She is sealing a room for her builder to
occupy for some time and they will certainly leave her plenty of cleaning
to do when they finish. Provided that she seals on the 'dirty' side of the
door she can use pretty much what she likes.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Polythene dust sheet (or roll of same) and 75mm or 100mm masking

tape
round all the edges.

Again as per parcel tape, masking tape that is left on for more

than a
day or two is a nightmare to clean up after

AWEM

I have found that masking tape comes off easily, certainly after a
couple of weeks. However be aware that if it gets wet it it almost
impossible to get off, except with acetone. I found that out the

hard
way when I masked a boat to paint antifouling, then the tide came in
before I removed the tape!

Certainly if exposed to sunlight it is a nightmare afer a few days,
speaking from personal experiance.

AWEM