Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rough cost for a fitted bathroom

Hi all,
I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is roughly
2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well as the waste
pipes out. I`m not good at this level of DIY, so i`d be looking at getting
a company in to do the entire job - strip out the old one, fit all the new
stuff and leave me with a nice, fully working bathroom. I`m after a rough
idea of the labour costs involved in this, to figure out how much money will
be needed. We want a decent bathroom suite, a nice shower (but no bath),
sink and toilet.

Any help will be gratefully received!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is
roughly 2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well
as the waste pipes out. I`m not good at this level of DIY, so i`d be
looking at getting a company in to do the entire job - strip out the old
one, fit all the new stuff and leave me with a nice, fully working
bathroom. I`m after a rough idea of the labour costs involved in this,
to figure out how much money will be needed. We want a decent bathroom
suite, a nice shower (but no bath), sink and toilet.

Starting price of £3500, more if fully tiled, more with posh fittings,
more with complex showers, shiney towel rads, snazzy lighting etc.

When you go to the likes of Dolphin etc, £10k is not uncommon.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

£500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, £250 to fit it, £100 for the
bathroom tiles, £150 to fit 'em. add another £100 for nice finishing
touches.

So all in i recon £1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy the
bits and pieces ect.

At least double or even triple that to get a national company to do the lot
in one go. Screwing b'stards.

Steve

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi all,
I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is
roughly 2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well as
the waste pipes out. I`m not good at this level of DIY, so i`d be looking
at getting a company in to do the entire job - strip out the old one, fit
all the new stuff and leave me with a nice, fully working bathroom. I`m
after a rough idea of the labour costs involved in this, to figure out how
much money will be needed. We want a decent bathroom suite, a nice shower
(but no bath), sink and toilet.

Any help will be gratefully received!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

£500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, £250 to fit it, £100 for the
bathroom tiles, £150 to fit 'em. add another £100 for nice finishing
touches.

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

So all in i recon £1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy the
bits and pieces ect.

Depending on what you mean by tiling (i.e. full room or just a
splashback), but you could easily spend that on just tiling.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

£500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, £250 to fit it, £100 for
the bathroom tiles, £150 to fit 'em. add another £100 for nice finishing
touches.

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

So all in i recon £1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy
the bits and pieces ect.

Depending on what you mean by tiling (i.e. full room or just a
splashback), but you could easily spend that on just tiling.

Tiling shower cubical and splash backs. You can buy plain white tiles from
wicks..looks smart, timeless and clean. Paint or paper the rest.

If you want the whole room tiling, maybe 3 days work---unless its mosaics!

This is based on my own experience refubing 5 buy to lets, using local news
papers to get quotes for the work and using decent quality fittings from
local sheds, online shops, eBay ect.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end of
£500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone £75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"John Rumm" wrote

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end
of £500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone £75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Phil

my costs are based on a decent quality bathroom, not wetroom kind of spec.
Yes if you want a powerful shower with pump you are looking at those costs.
If you want expensive tiles, that costs more. If you want a decent quality
bathroom that will look great and last years it can be done for not much
more than a grand. YMMV

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"John Rumm" wrote

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end
of £500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone £75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
starts earning serious money. In which case it makes more sense to stretch
now and get a very good bathroom fitted and pay it off ASAP. For example,
i`m currently using a £75 electric shower which does the trick. What i`d
like is something that sprays the water under enough pressure to cut through
concrete at any temperature I choose, which is obviosuly in another price
band altogether :-) Ditto a cubicle, we`ve got one that must have cost
about £50 new, and you can tell.

Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why, but
I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

trick. What i`d like is something that sprays the water under enough
pressure to cut through concrete at any temperature I choose, which is
obviosuly in another price band altogether :-) Ditto a cubicle, we`ve
got one that must have cost about £50 new, and you can tell.

Have a look at a seller called Primrose bathrooms on eBay. They do
decent quality enclosures at a third of the price of most outlets. (last
800mm quadrant stone resin tray and 6mm toughened glass and ali
enclosure came to about £200 inc delivery.

Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why,
but I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s
life :-)

As I found to my cost, if you fit a mono block mixer with a duck bill
type combined lever, it works really well until you bend down to scoop
water into you hands to either wash you face or rinse your mouth. You
then headbutt the duck bill! DAMHIK.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
starts earning serious money.

What makes you think a more expensive bathroom would not suffer the same
fate?

In which case it makes more sense to
stretch now and get a very good bathroom fitted and pay it off ASAP.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Mixer taps are good if you like to wash your hands under the tap. You can wash in something other than
scalding hot or freezing cold ;o)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djc" wrote in message
.uk...
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
starts earning serious money.

What makes you think a more expensive bathroom would not suffer the same
fate?

Becase a cheap bathroom will be made up of cheaper components, by
deffinition. Those cheaper components will annoy us, whereas good quality
stuff will keep us happy long term, meaning we won`t rip it out and have to
replace it with quality kit 2 years down the line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17, Mr Sandman wrote:

If you want a decent quality
bathroom that will look great and last years it can be done for not much
more than a grand.

Yeah. Right. In your dreams.

(I've fitted three bathrooms so far in my DIY "career".) The shower (*) alone
cost more than a grand in the last two.

(* Pump+valve+enclosure+tray+tiles)

Well who needs a pump?

however, yes, a proper shower + enclosure is around a grand all in.

But the rest can be pretty minimal..I'd say less than a grand,so if you
simply get a bath with a shower tap on it, and rig a sheet of plastic to
it as a shower screen, its possible.

As long as you have mains pressure hot water, anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in message

[...]

I actually prefer washing my hands on cold water :-) But then again i`ve
been told i`m weird before today (hard to believe I know :-) )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:04:17 +0100 Simon Finnigan wrote :
Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why, but
I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life
:-)

Put a TRV blender under the basin and you can get hand hot water out of the
hot tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17, Mr Sandman wrote:

If you want a decent quality
bathroom that will look great and last years it can be done for not much
more than a grand.
Yeah. Right. In your dreams.

(I've fitted three bathrooms so far in my DIY "career".) The shower (*) alone
cost more than a grand in the last two.

(* Pump+valve+enclosure+tray+tiles)

Well who needs a pump?

Anyone who wants a decent shower? Google "Tanganyika boiler" for the kind of
thing I want.

********. I have no pumps and better showers than I have had ANYwhere
pumped or not. Mains pressure hot water is all it takes.

however, yes, a proper shower + enclosure is around a grand all in.

But the rest can be pretty minimal..I'd say less than a grand,so if you
simply get a bath with a shower tap on it, and rig a sheet of plastic to
it as a shower screen, its possible.

Not as specified; "a decent quality bathroom that will look great and last
years." A shower over the bath has already failed, IMO.

Then cough up 2 grand and be done with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Gordon
writes

Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno
why, but I`ve never liked mixer
taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life :-)

Mixer taps are good if you like to wash your hands under the tap. You
can wash in something other than
scalding hot or freezing cold ;o)

Cold water a bit too rufty tufty for you ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17, Mr Sandman wrote:

If you want a decent quality
[...]

Absolutely. There isn`t room for a full size bath in the room, and since
I`m well over 6 foot tall, and the g/f is 5 foot 10 tall, even a normal
sized bath is a waste of space :-)