Power to a greenhouse

Old September 17th 07, 02:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power to a greenhouse

I am thinking of putting power out to the greenhouse (only for one light
and possibly a (small) heater, say, in total, 1100 watts worth) was
thinking of using a domestic outlet in the living room running the cable
through the living room wall via a vent (this cable would be some sort
of SWA) then down the garden (buried say a foot down) to the greenhouse,
cable terminated in some sort of trailing socket.
Anyone have any experience of running power out? I do not wish to
go the full; dedicated CU with armoured cable terminated in glands route.
--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh
Old September 17th 07, 03:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:51:36 GMT someone who may be soup
wrote this:-

I am thinking of putting power out to the greenhouse (only for one light
and possibly a (small) heater, say, in total, 1100 watts worth) was
thinking of using a domestic outlet in the living room running the cable
through the living room wall via a vent (this cable would be some sort
of SWA) then down the garden (buried say a foot down) to the greenhouse,
cable terminated in some sort of trailing socket.
Anyone have any experience of running power out? I do not wish to
go the full; dedicated CU with armoured cable terminated in glands route.

How would the SWA cable be terminated in the plug and socket?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 17th 07, 03:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17 14:51:36 +0100, soup said:

I am thinking of putting power out to the greenhouse (only for one
light and possibly a (small) heater, say, in total, 1100 watts worth)
was thinking of using a domestic outlet in the living room running the
cable through the living room wall via a vent (this cable would be
some sort of SWA) then down the garden (buried say a foot down) to the
greenhouse, cable terminated in some sort of trailing socket.
Anyone have any experience of running power out? I do not wish to
go the full; dedicated CU with armoured cable terminated in glands
route.

You could run the power from the living room as a spur using a spur
unit with RCD either inside or a weatherproof one just outside.
Perhaps an outside socket at the living room position is useful as
well? If so, you can use one of the 20mm knockouts and fit the
cable terminating gland into that. Otherwise there are IP65 plastic
enclosures with terminal strip available that can be used to do the
same thing. Position the box over the hole in the wall and run T&E
through the back to the RCD.

A similar arrangement can be done at the greenhouse end. You can
terminate the SWA into a weatherproof socket outlet and FCU for the
light connection.

Have a look at MK Masterseal for a range of suitable wiring accessories.

If you are going to use SWA, you really need to use glands to terminate
the ends. This isn't difficult or expensive.

Steps a

- Cut cable generously to length
- Cut tip off of the flexible shroud and place on cable
- Fit upper parts of fitting, up to and including ferrule onto cable.
On most connectors the ferrule is not cylindrical and goes one way
round.
- Cut around outer jacket of cable at the joint position and cut from
there to end using a utility knife
- Snip off steel wires using cutters. Leave the required length for
the fitting. The conical part of the lower part of the fitting
indicates that but usually around 20mm or so. Splay the wires
slightly.
- Assemble fitting laying the wires around the cone and pushing ferrule
over them.
- Tighten the two main parts of the connector together using two spanners.
- Tighten the top cable clamp
- Fit the fitting to the enclosure using washers, tag and nut.

Old September 17th 07, 03:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

How would the SWA cable be terminated in the plug and socket?

AIUI BICBW the SWA cable is like a normal cable but with wires laid on
the outside then more insulation over that. I would take back the outer
insulation cut the wires around it at the end of the exterior insulation
then inside of this should (?) be a regular cable this I would deal with
as normal, ie remove outer insulation to expose three insulated wires
strip them and screw to terminals obviously all lengths etc so the unit
looks neat and is non dangerous. Possibly a piece of heat shrink tubing
over the lot just to neaten.

--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh
Old September 17th 07, 03:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 14:51, soup wrote:
I am thinking of putting power out to the greenhouse (only for one light
and possibly a (small) heater, say, in total, 1100 watts worth) was
thinking of using a domestic outlet in the living room running the cable
through the living room wall via a vent (this cable would be some sort
of SWA) then down the garden (buried say a foot down) to the greenhouse,
cable terminated in some sort of trailing socket.
Anyone have any experience of running power out? I do not wish to
go the full; dedicated CU with armoured cable terminated in glands route.
--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibhwww.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk

By using a socket outlet, you're creating a spur. If it's not fused,
the cable should really be rated at the same as the ring main for that
distance.
A buried cable should be deep enough to avoid the possibility of
damage including future changes to your garden layout. One foot down
is unlikely to achieve that. I would bury it at least two feet down.
The cable should be surrounded by sand and have a marker tape far
enough above it that it will provide a warning before the cable gets
damaged.
Greenhouses also get hot so your cable (and any other electrical
equipment) must be capable of withstanding that.

Old September 17th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-09-17 15:39:21 +0100, soup said:

David Hansen wrote:

How would the SWA cable be terminated in the plug and socket?

AIUI BICBW the SWA cable is like a normal cable but with wires laid on
the outside then more insulation over that. I would take back the
outer insulation cut the wires around it at the end of the exterior
insulation then inside of this should (?) be a regular cable this I
would deal with as normal, ie remove outer insulation to expose three
insulated wires strip them and screw to terminals obviously all lengths
etc so the unit looks neat and is non dangerous. Possibly a piece of
heat shrink tubing over the lot just to neaten.

Not really safe.

The inner insulation is not intended for this purpose.

Old September 17th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:

I am thinking of putting power out to the greenhouse (only for one light
and possibly a (small) heater, say, in total, 1100 watts worth) was
thinking of using a domestic outlet in the living room running the cable
through the living room wall via a vent (this cable would be some sort
of SWA) then down the garden (buried say a foot down) to the greenhouse,
cable terminated in some sort of trailing socket.
Anyone have any experience of running power out? I do not wish to go
the full; dedicated CU with armoured cable terminated in glands route.

You don't have to go for a full CU, but you do need to think through the
available alternatives and see what best suits your circumstances. You
can find most of what you need to know he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ricity_outside

--
Cheers,

John.

Old September 17th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:39:21 GMT someone who may be soup
wrote this:-

How would the SWA cable be terminated in the plug and socket?

AIUI BICBW the SWA cable is like a normal cable but with wires laid on
the outside then more insulation over that. I would take back the outer
insulation cut the wires around it at the end of the exterior insulation

Then the armour of the cable will not be earthed and it needs to be
earthed at one or both ends.

The way to terminate SWA is with the appropriate glands at a
suitable location. This could be a box, from which say twin & earth
emerges. I suggest that you don't use SWA as I don't think you would
be able to do it properly.

You could wire the greenhouse by installing plastic conduit in the
ground and threading a suitable cable through it. Something on
http://www.screwfix.co.uk/app/sfd/ca...31822&ts=48412
would be suitable, with appropriate accessories at both ends. Note
that if you are in England or Wales Mr Prescott's daft idea applies.

Electricity and the outdoors is a reasonably safe combination,
provided appropriate cable systems and equipment is selected and
installed properly. If this is not done then one is more likely to
come across a dead human or animal, a five year old nice or
grandchild perhaps, or a beloved pet.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 17th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

This thread has prompted me to read that useful section on the FAQ.
There I see it stated that

"SWA is frequently not brought right into the building at the head end
since it is relatively inflexible and difficult to work with."

What is done instead then, please? I was thinking of an outbuilding
supply using SWA and would be interested to learn about the options.

Thanks
J^n

Old September 17th 07, 06:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

This thread has prompted me to read that useful section on the FAQ.
There I see it stated that

"SWA is frequently not brought right into the building at the head end
since it is relatively inflexible and difficult to work with."

What is done instead then, please? I was thinking of an outbuilding
supply using SWA and would be interested to learn about the options.

If you read on a bit to the section on installing the sub main it gives
some of the options:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...g_the_sub_main

The usual solution is to fix a waterproof box of some description
outside and run the SWA into that with appropriate glands. You can then
drill straight through the wall from the box to allow a cable to
continue to the supply. This can be in T&E which is much simpler to
route and work with than SWA.

--
Cheers,

John.

Reseating Greenhouse Mr Green UK diy 8 March 17th 07 09:03 AM
Lean-to greenhouse. Ian Stirling UK diy 3 April 12th 06 05:25 PM
Base For Greenhouse To Sit On Alec UK diy 4 April 9th 06 05:27 PM
Installing power for greenhouse/shed Connor T UK diy 2 November 18th 05 04:34 PM
Greenhouse Floor gus Home Ownership 1 May 25th 05 05:09 AM