Rough cost for a fitted bathroom

Old September 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rough cost for a fitted bathroom

Hi all,
I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is roughly
2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well as the waste
pipes out. I`m not good at this level of DIY, so i`d be looking at getting
a company in to do the entire job - strip out the old one, fit all the new
stuff and leave me with a nice, fully working bathroom. I`m after a rough
idea of the labour costs involved in this, to figure out how much money will
be needed. We want a decent bathroom suite, a nice shower (but no bath),
sink and toilet.

Any help will be gratefully received!

Old September 16th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is
roughly 2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well
as the waste pipes out. I`m not good at this level of DIY, so i`d be
looking at getting a company in to do the entire job - strip out the old
one, fit all the new stuff and leave me with a nice, fully working
bathroom. I`m after a rough idea of the labour costs involved in this,
to figure out how much money will be needed. We want a decent bathroom
suite, a nice shower (but no bath), sink and toilet.

Starting price of 3500, more if fully tiled, more with posh fittings,
more with complex showers, shiney towel rads, snazzy lighting etc.

When you go to the likes of Dolphin etc, 10k is not uncommon.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old September 16th 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, 250 to fit it, 100 for the
bathroom tiles, 150 to fit 'em. add another 100 for nice finishing
touches.

So all in i recon 1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy the
bits and pieces ect.

At least double or even triple that to get a national company to do the lot
in one go. Screwing b'stards.

Steve

Old September 16th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, 250 to fit it, 100 for the
bathroom tiles, 150 to fit 'em. add another 100 for nice finishing
touches.

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

So all in i recon 1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy the
bits and pieces ect.

Depending on what you mean by tiling (i.e. full room or just a
splashback), but you could easily spend that on just tiling.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old September 16th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

500 for a half decent quality bathroom suite, 250 to fit it, 100 for
the bathroom tiles, 150 to fit 'em. add another 100 for nice finishing
touches.

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

So all in i recon 1100, if you organise the workers, and pick and buy
the bits and pieces ect.

Depending on what you mean by tiling (i.e. full room or just a
splashback), but you could easily spend that on just tiling.

Tiling shower cubical and splash backs. You can buy plain white tiles from
wicks..looks smart, timeless and clean. Paint or paper the rest.

If you want the whole room tiling, maybe 3 days work---unless its mosaics!

This is based on my own experience refubing 5 buy to lets, using local news
papers to get quotes for the work and using decent quality fittings from
local sheds, online shops, eBay ect.

Steve

Old September 17th 07, 09:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end of
500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone 75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Phil

Old September 17th 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"John Rumm" wrote

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end
of 500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone 75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Phil

my costs are based on a decent quality bathroom, not wetroom kind of spec.
Yes if you want a powerful shower with pump you are looking at those costs.
If you want expensive tiles, that costs more. If you want a decent quality
bathroom that will look great and last years it can be done for not much
more than a grand. YMMV

Steve

Old September 17th 07, 03:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"John Rumm" wrote

Can we come and live on your planet? Sounds much cheaper than ours!

Agreed - a decent shower and shower pump would set you back the thick end
of 500 without enclosure and the rest of the suite!
Decent mixer tap for basin alone 75+.
Your price point may be just about good enough for temporary buy-to-let
residence, but something that the OP is going to live with for a number of
years, I suspect needs to be firmly pitched into the next quality level.

Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
starts earning serious money. In which case it makes more sense to stretch
now and get a very good bathroom fitted and pay it off ASAP. For example,
i`m currently using a 75 electric shower which does the trick. What i`d
like is something that sprays the water under enough pressure to cut through
concrete at any temperature I choose, which is obviosuly in another price
band altogether :-) Ditto a cubicle, we`ve got one that must have cost
about 50 new, and you can tell.

Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why, but
I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s life
:-)

Old September 17th 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

trick. What i`d like is something that sprays the water under enough
pressure to cut through concrete at any temperature I choose, which is
obviosuly in another price band altogether :-) Ditto a cubicle, we`ve
got one that must have cost about 50 new, and you can tell.

Have a look at a seller called Primrose bathrooms on eBay. They do
decent quality enclosures at a third of the price of most outlets. (last
800mm quadrant stone resin tray and 6mm toughened glass and ali
enclosure came to about 200 inc delivery.

Although I`d actually prefer seperate taps for the sink :-) Dunno why,
but I`ve never liked mixer taps in a bathroom. Weird I know, but that`s
life :-)

As I found to my cost, if you fit a mono block mixer with a duck bill
type combined lever, it works really well until you bend down to scoop
water into you hands to either wash you face or rinse your mouth. You
then headbutt the duck bill! DAMHIK.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old September 17th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Ultimately while I`d like to do it as cheaply as possible now, a cheap
bathroom fitted now would be ripped out in about 2-3 years when the g/f
starts earning serious money.

What makes you think a more expensive bathroom would not suffer the same
fate?